• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Losi Micro Rally help!!

Spurs027

Hi Guys,

Complete noob here, got an xmod and losi micro rally a couple years and now want to get back in to it. Neither are running.

My losi needs all new electronics, I'm trying to make it brushless so I can use my Spektrum DX4S.

So far I have only got an esc from hobbyking 'Brushless Car ESC 10A w/ Reverse'. I need help with which motor and Servo I can get, as I have no idea. Also I'll be getting the hobbyking orange gr300r  receiver which i believe is compatible with my Spektrum. 

I tried to connect my old losi board on to my xmod but ended up frying it as a result of my poor soldering skills. Could I use the same setup as above if i can somehow fit it in for the xmod?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Cheers.

I only seen the losi xeleron motors i think. 8000kv ish or 10500kv i think people rated the lower kv motor. 

Orange rxs might work im confused by it but think only the 1st run of dx4c radios allowed orange rxs. Then spectrum updated the firmware to lock out all other receivers even their own. Dsm2 rxs i think. So only dsmR rxs work with dx4 radios with updated firmware. 

I have a spectrum sr300 or something old ill try that on mine im certain mine has v1 software stiil. 

Flysky gt2b are good radios rxs cost  £4.60 ish and the signals from flysky match spectrum or beat it lol. But feel tacky quality but they kept my savox servo silent. FSS mayb the reason. Full spread spectrum? Idk lol but my savox servos have always been noisey. But not with my kids radio lol. Its 3ch rechargeable lipo battery. Basic settings and just £18 new with rx lol. 

If flysky update designs alittle ide gladly swap over to them i think the dx4c is pretty bulky. But a good looking radio so ill keep it for now lol. I had pricey radios and hated them. I just saw another rc i could have had instead lol.

The Losi xceleron motors seem to be discontinued, I have only managed to find one alternative (Dynamite part #DYNS1400) but it's £37. I am really on a budget.

Ah so I won't be able to use an orange receiver, balls. I don't really want to be forking out more money on another radio.

This is frustrating just wanna get it up and running.

Ok so.

I originally used this 1230 motor but just recently installed this  1220 one

Heres some useful info for you

Sadly I can no longer track down what servo I used but the above link should give you the info u need.

I hope you are aware u will need to basically cut open the top deck so the electrics fit.  Some dremel work involved but not to complicated.

The motor mount needs new holes drilled as the motors I linked have different mounting holes.

As for lipos:  These are a perfect fit. https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-nano-tech-300mah-2s-35-70c-lipo-pack-e-flite-eflb2002s25-micro-series-compatible.html

or theres a 40-90c version for a few cents more but Hk website is paying up on me You'll need micro jst connectors.

Hope that helps a little.

Edited by Deafty

I made a template up and marked the holes with a fine permanent marker if I recall.  Pretty sure I used a hand held drill rather than a press but I also tapped a thread into the mounting holes so naturally i made a smaller hole then needed for the screws.

I did this several years back, but has held up just fine.   The hardest thing for me was actually getting the servo in its correct place, think i even glued on the servo horn.

Managed to mount the motor wooo. For the life of me I can't take the pinion off the original motor, how do you take it off?

Got my new esc and servo. I need to do some modifying to get the servo horn on to that servo. I'm waiting for the orange rx to arrive so i can wire everything up. I'm a bit scared to start soldering, as it didn't go well last time I did it.

Also ordered a matsucar delrin chassis.

20171023_192720.png

I tried heating it with no luck, unfortunately I haven't found a pinion puller small enough.

I managed to find a small plastic pinion instead which I have put on.

But i am finding it's making a horrible crunching sound.

I've recorded the sound here, not sure why this is happening because it looks to be fine.

https://youtu.be/5Hsc5ULlsWE

I'm a complete noob with all this, so I apologise for any stupid questions.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys need some help here lol.

Finally received the orange rx so I was excited to hook everything up.

However I am having some issues, Firstly I couldn't bind the receiver, however after some playing around it seemed to work.

Now I am having issues with the motor, for the life of me I couldn't get the pinion on properly so I have given up with that.

But now the motor doesn't work properly, it kinda stop starts. Here's a video to show what I mean. I have no idea why this is happening ?

This is so frustrating. Any help would be much appreciated.