• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

MissT's build thread.

MissT

4 minutes ago, MissT said:

Painting the details on the rear luggage boxes took a long time and they're also not perfect but look good from a distance.

I just couldn't resist the hay bales when I was buying paint in the model shop! :lol:

Rearview1.thumb.jpg.e3a111ba2eb1537df48b2159b07b77bf.jpg

When I saw that I thought it was breakfast time again already...

Great job though Nikki, you should be rightly proud of your efforts. :good:

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bertberr said:

When I saw that I thought it was breakfast time again already...

Great job though Nikki, you should be rightly proud of your efforts. :good:

Funny you should say that Mike, my little boy thought they were Weetabix too! :lol:

Thank you, I'm really pleased with it :D

Thanks Neil! It's not a runner yet unfortunately, and the snow will be long gone by the time it is :rolleyes:

6 hours ago, yoodoo said:

It reminds me of a Bruder model.

J

I've seen their farm equipment in the model shop :wub:

Now it's time to start part 2 of the Pajero's  renovations.

When I first started running the car a couple of months ago I realised pretty quickly that it was quite awful in standard form, being too short, too narrow and very top heavy. The suspension consisted of Grasshopper shocks (just springs really) and a Lunchbox style pivoting rear axle. It bounced around so much that the wheels were rarely in contact with the ground, and the mere idea of turning was enough to make it lay on it's side!

Obviously it needed oil filled shocks as a starter, but the front ones would need to be just 45mm long. I couldn't find any that small, so I ordered 50mm instead but when they arrived they were 55mm anyway :rolleyes: Rear shocks were no problem, just the rear axle with it's fixed front pivot needed something. Hornet axle brackets could be made to fit and give the axle some articulation, I discovered from a well known Tamiya forum. 

The battery placement was impractical, being on the rear deck of the chassis high and behind the rear wheels. This needs changing to improve stability, and I found this solution-

img1147_11092006053344_7_1100_.thumb.jpg.257542a588a03d82942c8fee4faacf9f.jpg

Much Dremelling will be required. I will try to make mine neater and try to think of a more attractive and better engineered solution to the battery containment problem here! The above car's owner also used Hornet front gearbox pivots. They increase the wheelbase a few millimetres as well, hopefully not enough to look awkward with the body fitted. With the extra movement available I'm hoping to find the room to do the 5th shock upgrade as well.

Looking into solutions for the front suspension I did some research and decided to modify the front turrets by cutting and raising them up using nuts and bolts, with fabricated plates at the top to fit the new longer shocks to. Complicated and a lengthy process, minor engineering being new to me as well, it was a slightly daunting thought. I collected other parts together while this idea was gestating, and hoovered the web for modification ideas too.

Putting the Pajero next to my Lunchbox made me realise that the only difference in the chassis was the front suspension turrets-

5a50a222a4d46_PajLB.thumb.jpg.5de55887976ceb0efe4fd0b6c35e35ee.jpg.2a928f98a4ec981c314399ff9fdb57eb.jpg

There was a sudden click in my brain and I spent £6 on a new Lunchie chassis. Major cutting and fabricating no longer required and I can fit longer front shocks as well :D

The new chassis came with a Lunchie front bumper, which is much stronger than the original Pajero one but looks identical.

My kit of parts laid out-

5a9fbad91f22f_Partskit-1152x864.thumb.jpg.d320d2366ff703f107de584b9191de86.jpg

So it's not really going to be a proper restoration in the way I originally intended, which makes me feel a bit of a cheat, but my main objective here is to make a fast and fun, reasonably capable basher with the cute retro styling of the original. In the back of my mind is a future restoration using original parts as a shelfie, and somewhere to park the other bodyshell (still waiting)

Nikki :)

• Like 1

I like the idea of a horizontal battery placement low down in the chassis. Judging by how neatly you did the holes for the headlight lenses in the bodyshell, I'm sure you'll be able to make the openings look factory.

As for securing the battery, how about using a pair of "wings" from a TL-01 along with the associated clips? The TL-01 tub is narrower than the lunchie one, so the wings would need to be shortened a bit, but again I am sure you could achieve a factory finish.

• Thanks 1

"So it's not really going to be a proper restoration in the way I originally intended, which makes me feel a bit of a cheat"

Don't  be silly Nikki. You're doing an awesome job. It's all about evolution and personalisation,

and like you said, 

"In the back of my mind is a future restoration using original parts as a shelfie, and somewhere to park the other bodyshell"

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, XV Pilot said:

I like the idea of a horizontal battery placement low down in the chassis. Judging by how neatly you did the holes for the headlight lenses in the bodyshell, I'm sure you'll be able to make the openings look factory.

As for securing the battery, how about using a pair of "wings" from a TL-01 along with the associated clips? The TL-01 tub is narrower than the lunchie one, so the wings would need to be shortened a bit, but again I am sure you could achieve a factory finish.

Thanks! This is a great idea :)

16 hours ago, Only4Fun said:

"So it's not really going to be a proper restoration in the way I originally intended, which makes me feel a bit of a cheat"

Don't  be silly Nikki. You're doing an awesome job. It's all about evolution and personalisation,

and like you said, 

"In the back of my mind is a future restoration using original parts as a shelfie, and somewhere to park the other bodyshell"

I'll feel better about it when it's running :rolleyes:

On 08/03/2018 at 22:50, heavyleftthumb said:

if you got an idea, could surely print you some mounts/tab thingies......the joys of 3d printing

Thank you! I If I have an idea I'll let you know. I had a go at the rear suspension brackets the other day and sort of hit a dead end before achieving my aim, so I left it to await inspiration.

On 08/03/2018 at 18:23, yoodoo said:

Quote...As for securing the battery, how about using a pair of "wings" from a TL-01 along with the associated clips?

Or try this , you said wings !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asXw2a4kQLc

J

I'm not taking the Pajero skydiving! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

If shocks are too long it's possible to shorten them with some fuel tubing or similar. I recently shortened some FTX Viper front shocks by putting 2 spare O rings on each shaft before putting the shafts back in the bodies. Made them the perfect length to raise the front ride height on my DF02 chassis in conjunction with unmodified Viper rear shocks out back. Miper v4x4 now has the stance to match Miper v3.0.

On 19/03/2018 at 13:41, chewbacca said:

If shocks are too long it's possible to shorten them with some fuel tubing or similar. I recently shortened some FTX Viper front shocks by putting 2 spare O rings on each shaft before putting the shafts back in the bodies. Made them the perfect length to raise the front ride height on my DF02 chassis in conjunction with unmodified Viper rear shocks out back. Miper v4x4 now has the stance to match Miper v3.0.

I've seen this method on a different site, or possibly Youtube but thanks anyway! :D