• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Counter Parachute Affect

Dirt-540

I'm doing pretty big jumps now with my Traxxas Slash 2WD, am going bigger than I would have done with anything else. This thing just pops a shock now and then which is a 5minute trackside repair. Am really impressed with its toughness. Back to the jumping. I attempted a ridiculous jump last week as my instinct told me it was possible. And I was right I made the gap 4 times. Only problem was, only once did I land on my wheels (wish i caught it on video). I have cut out slats in the bonnet hoping to counter this parachute affect but it gave very little improvement. I may cut a lot more out if I'm honest but still try to keep some structural integrity. I do wonder wether it'd parachute that bad without a body on it? Im scared to try as it could cost me on the electric front plus the Lipo could take a hit. So what you guys think and have you made any affective attempts to counter the parachute affect? 

Edited by Dirt-540

Proline flotec bodies help with it. I think jconcepts has one too i think. Lots and lots of air vents. I think its best to rough cut the vents the sand them out with a dremmel. Mayb mini file set would work too. 

Or use a body reamer to put holes around the rear window area. Wherever the air builds up inside add holes. It can look good too ive seen it done clean too. Could hardly tell until up close. He had a row of small holes. Then theres all out grass rally style and a hole wherever one will fit lol. 

It shouldn't lose too much body strength with afew holes but shoe goo dry wall tape is always worth doing. My current body is proving how much stronger it is after. 

I chopped my flotec body to MT slash first run it burst the body posts through the rear. Big proline body posts too lol. I repaired with shoe goo and since then started to launch it off the half pipes. Its still holding up plus then it cartwheels its 20 flips easy lol. Body severly weakend with cutting too. 

Edited by RCbutcher
  • Like 1

I run the pro line ford flotec on my slash and have only cut out one of the rear long vents and she jumps pretty well. It does the usual nose up or nose down thing but throttle or brake sorts that out but very rarely rolls side to side in the air unless i get the take off wrong. 

The flotec body is defiantly better the the stock traxxas shells.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tear101 said:

I run the pro line ford flotec on my slash and have only cut out one of the rear long vents and she jumps pretty well. It does the usual nose up or nose down thing but throttle or brake sorts that out but very rarely rolls side to side in the air unless i get the take off wrong. 

The flotec body is defiantly better the the stock traxxas shells.

Any chance of a pic? plus which one you got as I googled it and there's quite a  few.

11 hours ago, Dirt-540 said:

Any chance of a pic? plus which one you got as I googled it and there's quite a  few.

Here's mine and I've just had a look on model sport and it turns out it's not a flotec!(shows what I know!) You can see the vent I cut out in the second pic and there's two more you could cut out!

gallery_29927_3126_166164.jpggallery_29927_3126_134093.jpg

Edited by Tear101

Heres my current one i only chopped it to suit the tires. Its been cut very messy but i like the fit im going to paint another soon like my profile pic one. Its the standard flotec. But the newer ones look cool. 

20170408_142202_zps82drfkwv.jpg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, RCbutcher said:

Heres my current one i only chopped it to suit the tires. Its been cut very messy but i like the fit im going to paint another soon like my profile pic one. Its the standard flotec. But the newer ones look cool. 

20170408_142202_zps82drfkwv.jpg

Thing is when you chop them this much, you might as well just have an MT.

It's not really a short course as such anymore, it's too open wheeled.

I know mate but mt bodies dont fit. The ecx ruckus bodies do look alright same as my kids scx10 jeep does. But this is much lower. Sails over grass 10x easier i call it a monster sc. This was a free body to see how it looks tho and i like it. Strengh seems good too. It burst the rear posts through before shoe goo but fine since. 

But I'm waiting to find a cage to modify to fit. Axial yeti cage looks good but so many new rcs with scale cages im waiting to see what else comes up. The losi scb cage looks nice but mayb narrow even without nerf bars. On one axial cage the slash nerf bars look perfect as side rails.

Like this. IMG_7722_zpsbekqzdcd.jpg

Edited by RCbutcher