• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Sonic 64 Flying Wing

Thought I'd liven up the plane section again with another of my birds. Unfortunately she didn't want to be photographed so here's a plane instead..... :doh:

I started with one of these probably 5yrs back. Not a good noob plane tbh, but okay for someone with only a little stick time. Simple to build, is pretty stable and has enough speed to keep you interested. Plus I love the noise of the edf.

This time around, I've added a bec for safety (not designed for 4s did I hear you say) and moved the esc outside of the cockpit to aid cooling. It gives you a bit more room in the pod, enough to fit a 4s 2200 for example. Listed as 3s only, it seems to handle 4s okay although I did step up on the esc just in case. Other than that it's pretty much stock but is still my go to option when I want some speedy aerobatics. Running 4s it just about takes off from the ground if it's shortish grass.

The weather wasn't playing the game today so I'll add some flight video when I get chance.

DSC_0273.jpg

DSC_0279_1.jpg

DSC_0284.jpg

First thing I did was get rid of the shoddy HK graphics, they only last a flight or two anyway. I bought about 10m of black vinyl, which is why you see it on a lot of my planes. Sticks okay but shrinks nicely with a hair dryer stolen from your spouse. Now just need to try and find a way to attach a camera. A HK wingcam used to sit nicely on top of the pod but since it dropped off in flight, it's sitting nicely somewhere else. :angry:

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Can't get anyone to stand out in the middle of nowhere to video the sonic for internets purposes so I have to do it myself! Here's a brief video of the sonic slope soaring (errr kinda) at Burrough hill. Not the easiest to video with one hand and fly with the other, the video took priority......

If anyone's watching wondering, yes it slammed into my legs at the end. :whistling:

• Like 1