• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Drift 4WD or RWD ?

Dirt-540

Just curious as to what people prefer when it comes to drifting, 4WD or RWD. And whats this gyro people talk of, is it for RWD only or is it used on 4WD too?

I think I prefer the RWD as you can get extreme steering lock due to having no drive transmission on the front wheels.  

Edited by Dirt-540

Gyros (or "D-Boxes") are used on 4WD too. 4WD comes in two different tastes too, at least when i started. Normal 4WD, and 4WD with countersteer. 

RWD appears to be considerably harder to drive, can't speak from experience though. 

I started on AWD with counter steer. It's a lot of fun, easier to pick up than RWD, but it lacks some realism.

Moved on to RWD and it's incredible - very hard to pick up but it's worth sticking it out.

The gyro helps to center the wheels, when the rear steps out it helps you to catch the balance point between a drift and a spin. It give you that split second to get the wheels on lock and hold your slide. It's not there to cheat and hold the drift like some people imagine, more an aid to get you there.

Thanks guys really appreciate the info. Have just sold my Sakura CS3 drifter as I never got around to using it and the nearest drift track closed down, basically someone got a £150 of brand new rolling chassis for just £70. It was just sitting ther wasted. But if I get another one I was wondering whether AWD or RWD but I think id go RWD now. Cheers all.