• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

HoBao Hyper ST Truggy Pro

Well worked out why it didn't start just as I gave up, have killed the first glow plug. Have just put a new Os no8 in it. 

The flow chart seems to make quite a lot of sense so will have to go through that tomorrow if it's a bit warmer. Yeah 

Under the flow chart the pic of the carb says the low speed should be flush, when i set it to the factory settings it is about 2-3 mm sticking out. Will making it flush be a good thing to try? 

Will read the rest of it tonight. 

Edited by Rustypeb89

In this weather run half a tank so heat fully dissipates through all internals, pre warming helps but never as good as real running, usually about 250-275F, but temps can vary due to conditions. Have you checked temps after warming, dont really want +300F for long periods. Are you doing long WOT runs or short bursts? If it's not bogging but readily revving then cutting out then richen HSN 1/2 turn at a time and LSN 1/8 turn. Leaning LSN should increase idle rpm, so shouldnt have to use the tx trim to keep idling. You need to find HSN sweet spot first, best to start rich then lean. Try those settings and see how it goes. Factory LSN setting is on the rich side so good for break in at low rpms.

Ok thanks will do that, I was pre heating to 200 during running don't think it got much over 250 but will make sure I check temps more often. Am just doing short bursts if I held it any longer it would cut out. This is the bit which confused me it seemed to bog a bit but with very little smoke and when I let go of the throttle the revs sound high which makes me think it was lean, seemed to get better as I richened it. 

I have set mine to your settings, wasn't too far off them really tho the idle needed closing abit. Will use them as a starting place then try what you have said. 

If it keeps carrying on I will try and film it as I'm really rubbish at explaining it and probably making it more confusing then it should. 

Taking temps down the glow plug and one the side of the body the black bit not the blue head. 

Edited by Rustypeb89

Yeah did think so think it surprised me how much richer it needed to be from what it said in the manual and everything I had watched showed it getting leaned from the factory setting not the other way around. Guessing now then when I got the HSN rich enough it messed the LSN which is why it started struggling when slower speeds. 

Have it set to your setting now any way and will start from there when I try next. 

After i I finish this half gallon of fuel I will probably be swapping brands to one I can buy locally, still the same % guessing this will affect the tune but will I have to do anything else when I swap? 

Yeah understand that just need to learn more what I need to look for and listen for but that should come with time I hope. Hoping to get to a track at some point soon and hopefully will be able to see and hear what others that have it right are like in person and not just trying to get it from YouTube videos. 

put a couple more tanks through this morning. It is running much better on your settings, think I just had to richen the LSN I little but that was it. Didn't do much tuning as I struggled to get the engine up to temp but probably didn't help that it was 1c out side. Something didn't sound right towards the end so brought it back in thinking something is lose, have just checked it whilst on my lunch break and something is wrong in the front diff so will have to have a good clean and take that apart later, seems something has moved or stripped in the diff. 

One thing I did notice after a short blast of WOT the engine took a few seconds too settle back down to idle, I didn't change anything to stop this as I was trying to warm the engine still but would I need to adjust the LSN to help with this? I was getting a good amount of blue smoke at WOT. 

If your HSN is too lean, after a full throttle pass when you let off the throttle the engine is still lean causing the idle to hang and idle high until the LSN has a chance to take over and meter the right amount of fuel to bring the idle down to normal running speed (given the LSN is set correctly).

If the opposite happens, after a full throttle pass when you let off the throttle it drops to a good idle right away and then starts to idle back up too high, this is a sign that the LSN is too lean. If it comes off full throttle with a good tune and will drop RPM nicely then the HSN is metering the fuel properly but once it hits idle the LSN being too lean will quickly take over causing the RPM to go back up.

• Like 1

If your HSN is too lean, after a full throttle pass when you let off the throttle the engine is still lean causing the idle to hang and idle high until the LSN has a chance to take over and meter the right amount of fuel to bring the idle down to normal running speed (given the LSN is set correctly).

If the opposite happens, after a full throttle pass when you let off the throttle it drops to a good idle right away and then starts to idle back up too high, this is a sign that the LSN is too lean. If it comes off full throttle with a good tune and will drop RPM nicely then the HSN is metering the fuel properly but once it hits idle the LSN being too lean will quickly take over causing the RPM to go back up.

Thanks locky, think it is defiantly too lean on the HSN then will richen it up when i get it going again and go from there. 

Thankfuly the diff is fine and the grub screw holding the front drive shaft on had come out but it means the lock tight I used through out the build was rubbish so will strip it down and re lock tight everything that needs it with some new stuff.