• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Slash 2WD VXL MT - A noobs journey

Hi all, thought I would start a build thread for my first ever RC Truck.

So a little background, I was looking for something to use up my spare time, being married and with a you do child what I can 'get away' with is limited! However I managed to convince the other half building and using a RC truck would be good for me and the little boy -- just means purchasing upgrades is a little easier to get through without stern telling off from the wife!

So what to buy....I had no idea! I new I wanted somthing that was more of a basher than a track racer, needed to be robust as the little boy will obviously be abusing it as much as possible! But I wanted somthing that could be easily upgrading and give me the opportunity to learn the hobby and how these things work!

From looking at forums and reading as much as possible, I settled on Traxxas and focused on either a slash or stampede- mainly due to budget.

In the end I went for a slash, I was about to order a new brushed version, when a good local ebay deal on a 'lightly' used VXL popped up...I agreed a price and picked it up.

I wasn't really sure what to expect, it was a little rough and very dirty, but heyhoo, I charger it up and we took it for a spin! And what can I say we were hooked! After the 3rd session....flat out into a wall, the front wheel was hanging off 'snapped caster' - dispite crys of fix it daddy from the 3year old I decided the time was right o do somthing more drastic!

So...stripped the truck down to the bare chassis!

a691f61cff3d4e1b7691efac6c0f3e05.jpg

I took a few photos and separated everything into labeled bags to help put back together, as really at this point all I knew was how to take out screws! Didn't really know what any of the parts were!

Then first mod....I clean off the chassis took all the stickers off and dyed it black,was really happy...looked new!

da177aa98d55788bea220de77710e4cb.jpg

I then made the mistake of reading to many build threads....and got convinced I wanted a Monster truck slash...I.e a slash with 2.8" wheels...so started planning the build and identifying parts...quickly realising how expansive stuff is in the UK! I sourced stuff from China, U.S. And some eBay bargains!

First batch was integy items, only after taking delivery I realised they arnt that highly thought of but they seem ok to me...

I put on..

Flat plate transmission

Rear Hun carriers

Front steering knuckles

Front caster blocks

Then ordered RPM front bumper

Proline extendable body mounts

And started to build back up...

db7727ae8e2691a065577db9cf1afd20.jpg41ce1814a0d3aaf89c541d31c6c5f621.jpg36cfe4e492f96a41587d56aafc1cc5d8.jpg

At this point a few mistakes crept in...firstly I got the pinion gear stuck on the motor! Lucky I found YouTube clip and managed to get it off with pliers with no damaged..ordered a 19T replacement!

Also order a proline rear bumper that only worked with their tranny so that went on eBay!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

It's looking good to me such a good platform to start with I think you chose well. 

Mainly cos everybody has or had a slash so if help is needed it's so easy to get.  Forum support. 

Same with upgrades and spares too they are everywhere. 

UK prices are a joke aren't they same as usa prices just change the $ to a £ sign lol. 

Integy aren't great but so long as it's not a part that takes a lot of stress or impact it should be fine. 

It's their a arms most scoff at lol. 

Some people swear by certain Integy parts. Dj medic swore by some Integy shocks. I actually had their arms on a traxxas revo and they was perfect ide use them again if needed. 

Everyone swears by rpm arms but they can be too flexible sometimes causing cvds to take stress or pop out like on the revo. 

Ditto on the ritt black chassis it does make an old chassis look new again it's crazy I had good scratches dissappear when I did it. 

Thanks Butcher...I had the integy stuff as a package from eBay...they were all factory sealed and think only cost me £40 for it all [emoji14] so can't complain! Think that's the retail of the tranny alone!

I will update the thread now with more on A arms to come!

So...next part of build I was looking at wheel options...and narrowed down to 2...proline TRENCHERs and Desperados or Duramax Six Pack Mt's both 2.8". Seeing that 99% had proline TRENCHERs I went for Duramax they were around 25% cheaper to which helped! So ordered via Tower! Took delivery and this is where things went wrong!

7c652b282375198690fe6170144f7811.jpg

Being a self confessed noob...the fact the item was described as suitable for 'GP' rustlers meant nothing to me! When I opened packet and went to fit I quickly found out what GP - Gas Powered meant and how they differ hugely from EP - electric! For those that don't know GP fronts don't have hex fittment they run bearings in the actual wheel!
So I was absolutely gutted...worst thing was I wanted what o thought was a wider track so ordered 2 sets of fronts! [emoji35]
Trying selling on eBay but no luck..so decisions...buy replacements and just write these off or try and remove the tyre and buy new rims...
Well...I went with the save money and try and remove!

So...waited for the wife to go out and used the oven method! Heated to 190 oC and baked them on a foiled wrapped tray for 15mins..result...
2fe2230e7b00b4c4ae5b350dc3c16f62.jpg

Tyre is perfect...so know I need to figure out if these can be mounted to Desperados as can't seem to buy just the duratrax rim [emoji53]

So that was big mistake 1! Now a little on big mistake 2 [emoji37]

So my attention turned to bodies...I wanted the truck to be semi realistic rather than stadium truck...so looked around and decided on the Proline stable and went with a 1/10 scale 1973 Bronco body. Paint was decided mainly by my little boy...had to be blue! So again spent time looking at paints and reviews and in the end went with Tamiya PS paints and selected a 2 tone scheme of Gun metal roof, bonnet buldge and bumpers and translucent blue for the rest!

Cut the body out, and masked up body using tamiya tape - was really happy at this point

95f4ce115adb948975c31be8bfe2fbfe.jpg

The wheels were just mounted for effect in that photo.

Then got to painting...spraying the gun metal areas and it looked great! Was buzzing at this point! So moved on to the blue..did one light coat on the one side then put can down to move body or somthing...then disaster! I reached down and without looking picked up the gun metal can and started to spray! [emoji22] no turning back after that just had to keep going!
a7c04b8d3b16ff980328b970174daa26.jpg162520b1f2d609e34771b0ce21a3b04e.jpg

You can see on the second photo the hint of blue to the left [emoji17]! So this is now the new basher and test body I will get a new 'Show' one in due course!

From my mock ups the front arches need to be modified so can test on this one now.

That's how it stands today..I'm waiting for delivery of.

Proline Protrack Kit
Tbone rear bumper and wheelie bar
New wheels
1/10 axial fender flares

Then next batch of mods will be...

Sort out a battery 2s
Shocks

Cool, I'll be watching this with interest as I'm in the middle of converting my daughters XL5 slash 2wd to a brushless MSCT, i.e. 2.8's with extended posts but retaining the SCT body.

To keep speeds sensible for her (she's only just 6), I've gone with one of those GoolRC 3100kv cans, and will run it with a 60A HW quicrun esc and 2S lipo.  Not decided on pinion / spur yet, but guess I'll need to gear down a little.

What do you think of the PL extendable body posts?

The PL posts are great, very robust and multiple height options! They fit perfect to standard towers using standard traxxas hardware. Once set if you want to change the height you do have to take out 2 screws each time which is a bit of pain.

You will have absolutely no problem using them with the standard body, will be easy to clear the bigger wheels [emoji16]

• 2 weeks later...

So this weekend was sort of eventful...I managed to fit the T bone rear bumper and wheelie bar, technically it's for the rustler but fitted fine, I had to go for this due to lack of mounting points on the flat plate tranny.
As for Tbone took ages to come and really expensive for what it is, will see how it holds up when actually used.

0e43987dbd76c6da97469a099b40b8b7.jpg0ebd65044e0dd1af87ea9a881c9d40b9.jpg
87579b45ce472e53afeed9282c4cc8da.jpg

Then moved on to the Protrac kit; I thought I was being clever and ordered the 4wd kit as the arms are longer...

Rears went on fine and are huge!
c2e2074076e5ebc96987454c6f75c186.jpg

Hopefully that pic you can see the difference between stock and Protrac. Spent some time adjusting the camber links to get everything nice and straight.

Now the fronts were a bitch! The outer hinge pin is the same as the rear so thicker than stock, not a problem for arms but wouldn't go through caster..looked at various options but in the end gave up and just order front Protrac arms for the 2wd I can still use the links etc so no major issue. Front will be slightly narrower than rear though so might need to sort some hex extensions [emoji53]

Other news...4wd driveshafts on route and losi tyre glue, so all being well next weekend I should get it out for the maiden run [emoji41]

• 2 weeks later...

Ok time for an update!

Getting really close, now have a truck that I can actually use [emoji85]

Since last update, tyres taped and mounted (was harder than I thought!), also completed the PROLINE PROTRAC setup, ended up with 4wd arms on rear and 2wd on front, slight staggered look but nothing major, used 4wd links around, also put on an alumin front shock tower Integy again but was £3 delivered brand new from eBay [emoji85]

So few photos ...

07d844b178d0e08bf46107c719ed7e7b.jpg85bd2ff1dbbac68ebc32990e6f11b6cb.jpgc8669d859e22a5132ad830dc3a4e23c5.jpgd2682fcc56c6f2494d1992120ba3c934.jpg5b024c0ece03e3342464f64afa94b1b5.jpg21b35ac218a3e14c675e2703617b55ec.jpg

Ignore the battery, I was let down by a seller for a couple of LiPo's so in process of hunting some down!

Also have on order ...

Esc and Motor fans
ERevo HD slipper setup

Shocks...
Strc caps
Strc threaded bodies
Traxxas Tini shafts
RPM cups and covers
RPM dual Pistons
Losi springs
Going to try and build me some [emoji85]

Pretty that will be it for now, unless a bargain pops up on bulkhead, rear tower [emoji23]

Enjoy [emoji41]