• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Maverick ion diff

gypseys-whippet

I have a Maverick ion I've converted to brushless. Of course I've stripped both diffs, but don't want to spend £40 on a new pair so have been searching for a cheaper alternative. I ordered a WL toys diff off fleabay the other day, hoping it would fit because it "looked" the same so took a punt. It doesn't (bearings and diff cups are different) HOWEVER....the little gears inside the diff are the same as the Ion. Plus there are 4 instead of the Ion's 2. So I have stripped and swapped the gears. Sorted. Cost me £6 instead of £20 for one diff. I found cheaper ones from China for £3 ish too. Searched for WL A959 diff. Fingers crossed the 4 gears will last longer than stock 2, but for £3 a time I don't mind so much.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

4 gear was standard in the past for hobbyking spares for pitbull basheer (the same clone as maverick). But haven't purchased recently.

The only reliable diff for this car by now is ball dif from duratrax mini-quake - fits perfectly, but it's not cheap.

• 1 year later...

sorry folks I know this is an old post (LOL) but I kind of lost interest in the car...I had so many problems with it I ended up chucking it in the loft. Got bored this weekend, dusted it off, spent a couple of hours swapping the gears from the WL toys diffs I bought last time round. Thrashed it. Lasted 2 mins, they aren't any better. Just thought I'd report in....plus I'm bored at work. Still on the hunt for better diffs....anyone?

• 3 years later...

Has anyone tried fitting the new metal diff from HBX Pro / Hyper Go models?

https://rcmodelsonline.com/product/mjx-16420-all-metal-gear-differential-case-for-mjx-h16h-h16e-h16p-rc-car-spare-parts-hyper-go-truck-spare-parts/

I've got a Himoto Barren brushless (same running gear as Maverick Ion) and need to find a way to stop wearing out the drivetrain!

Edited by DJK