• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Outlaw Owners

Hi all,
Once again I'm in need of some advice.
My boy Fox loves his Outlaw, but hasn't mastered backing off over jumps.
As a result we now have no drive. I'm only guessing as not a seasoned RC enthusiast.
Would I be right in saying the slipper clutch has been mashed?
That's pretty technical speak for me.
Problems I'm faced with is firstly how much I need to pull apart to get to it?
Secondly is there a proper test to see if it's the slipper?
Third, I've been on MS website but can't work out which bits I'd need to order
To get the thing running properly.
Any advice would be gladly received.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Hi. The outlaw ain't got a slipper clutch. Maybe the spur gears stripped?  ( lost teeth) . Is it making grinding noises?  Have a look at the manual.  It's got exploded diagrams in it. 

It could well be the spur gear. It's the one that runs against the gear that's attached to the motor. The outlaw has metal differential gears. It's highly unlikely that they've given up. Might be the rear cv ( bit that goes from the gearbox to the rear axle) Is the truck brushless? The cv can break because of the amount of torque a brushless puts out.  The manual has all the part numbers in it. I know it's all baffling, but we all started somewhere.I started before the internet:@.@: Don't be afraid to ask questions.  

Edited by NOFX
Forgot something

@Ollykamakazi  few things you can look at before ripping it apart: 

1. look at the rear prop shaft going to the axle, has either end popped out of the drive?

2. raise one end off the floor with the other axle still in contact with the ground, and turn both wheels you're holding up, together at the same time in the same direction, for ex': holding the rear axle up and rotating both wheels forwards, the front wheels should also rotate forwards pulling the car along the floor (there's no centre diff in these cars). 

3. remove each wheel and check the 12mm plastic hex drives are not stripped

Or, open the gearbox casing and check to see how more slim line the spur gear is... Check the grub screw in the pinion gear hasn't backed off. Hope you find the problem! 

Edited by t2boats
  • Like 1

@Ollykamakazi  Tip - also take care when you remove the small allen screws for gaining access to the gearbox: the heads can strip. It's best that when you offer up the allen key into the screw it has a good purchase within the head, hopefully won't strip then. Push down slightly when you unscrew. I fitted a complete set of stainless screws to mine after experiencing that after removing the first bolt not long after I bought it. Took some digging to remove it. I was very careful after that removing the rest, then replaced them! 

• Like 1

No problem. I only got mine last week. So I'm learning about it too.I had a right job getting the new brushless motor to mesh properly. Turns out I had to turn the motor mount a 1/4 turn. :ack:. Spent at least an hour doing it :boredlook:

Whilst on the subject of new motors, my sons goolrc BL  arrived this week but I've had back surgery so won't be fitting until a week or so. But I've heard people talking about breaking in motors. Is there anything in particular I should do i. E. Drive slowly for so long etc? 

It makes no difference with brushless motors.  Brushed ones can be broken in water for one battery. It beds in the brushes & slightly improves performance.  I've fitted a gool rc motor & esc in mine today. It goes a lot better. Have you got Lipo batteries ? 

It's a soooo much quicker.   Have a look at ways to toughen up the truck. I've made a rear brace. It stiffen up the back end well. Gotta make some more when I find the bits to make it from. Some people have posted on here with a few tips. 

Yeah I've already lowered the suspension to help handling, and used m3 rods to brace/stiffen the top and bottom at the back of the car. It works well. I'll put some pics up when I'm home. 

I've also put the Chinese tyres on that John has mentioned previously to help stop the flipping at high speed, and as mentioned last week I've locked the back diff. 

I'm off work for a while now until I'm recovered so need to find what else I can tinker with to make it better. ??

Hi. The outlaw ain't got a slipper clutch. Maybe the spur gears stripped?  ( lost teeth) . Is it making grinding noises?  Have a look at the manual.  It's got exploded diagrams in it. 

Hi. So I checked drive and all 4 turn when turning rear wheels.
Yes there is a whirring grinding noise. Guessing it’s the spur gear with a few less teeth than it originally had?
Will pull it apart next week. See what I can find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Can't see you needing a heatsink.  Unless you're running it in death valley. If you can hold a finger on the motor for, say 10 seconds.  It's not too hot. If it hurts it is too hot.   

Mines fast enough on 2s. I think 3s will lead to breakages.  I've only run mine brushless in about 4 inches of powder snow.  It got stuck a few times. But so did the bmws' & a Mercedes on my road :P. Unlike my far superior 400 quids  worth of Subaru outback :D.

Edited by NOFX
Autocadrivel :/

41 minutes ago, 53HRA said:

Ordered myself an Outlaw Brushless for the garden! Should hopefully be a fun little machine on 2s :D 

Brace across the back of the chassis. Someones used battery tray holders.  Steel rear drive shaft. Aluminium motor mount's a must.