• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Outlaw Owners

1 hour ago, Bigjimknickers said:

Wasn't there AF as well as whitworth? I vaguely remember working with my dad & passing him spanners as a kid & seeing all these odd spanners/sizes.

Correct buddy, Whitworth, BSF, BA & AF are all "Imperial" 

Edited by 6ft4Crawler
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, johninderby said:

I've had sensorless systems that run OK at slow speed but also ones that cog like crazy. I've even taken a system that cogged  badly out of one car and put it in another where it wasn't a problem.

John

Mhm i see. One other thing...how about changing the stock gears to the ones that the Yeti runs with or similar ones? I suppose it would make the Outlaw a little better at slow speeds. The Yeti uses a 56t gear.

The pinion isn't really adjustable. Uses fixed motor mounting plates for 17t and 23t pinions. So if you changed the spurgear you'd have to come up with a pinion that precisely made up for the difference in diameter. 

There really should be an adjustable mounting plare to plare to make it easy too play around with the gearing. Someone else on here has been experimenting with an adjustable mounting plate though.

John

14 minutes ago, johninderby said:

The pinion isn't really adjustable. Uses fixed motor mounting plates for 17t and 23t pinions. So if you changed the spurgear you'd have to come up with a pinion that precisely made up for the difference in diameter. 

There really should be an adjustable mounting plare to plare to make it easy too play around with the gearing. Someone else on here has been experimenting with an adjustable mounting plate though.

John

In that case i could change the stock 23t pinion gear to a 17t one and see if it makes a difference. I don't think i can put a bigger spur gear in there :P 

7 hours ago, mirakuli said:

This is 17t pinion from HK 0,6 modul, work perfectly

IMG_20170822_205142.jpg

IMG_20170822_205046.jpg

IMG_20170822_205353.jpg

Does it make a difference in speed? Can the car climb more easily now? Also is that the stock spur gear? What's the max tooth number gear that can fit in there? see you don't use the stock brushless motor so i won't ask about cogging.

Edited by westerlycarrot9

On 18/08/2017 at 19:13, johninderby said:

Definately will need the steel driveshaft as soon as you go brushless. Doesn't last even with the stock brushed motor.

That motor might be a little bit much for the Oulaw. Also what's the length of the motor? A 3600 just barely fits.

John

Hi John, got my steel driveshaft, did you totally strip it to locktite the hex screw that's on the end?

not sure how to attack it, remove c clip? Try to screw through the shaft?

Well I bit the bullet and got myself an outlaw (brushless) and on my first outing like many others I broke the chassis but it's now replaced with the aluminium one and the metal drive shaft is in but treated myself to a new body to make it look a bit different :D 

20170818_190544-756x1008.jpg

20170823_175743-1008x756.jpg

• Like 1

Well I bit the bullet and got myself an outlaw (brushless) and on my first outing like many others I broke the chassis but it's now replaced with the aluminium one and the metal drive shaft is in but treated myself to a new body to make it look a bit different [emoji3] 

20170818_190544-756x1008.thumb.jpg.c9a8ae6c866f395f0e3e4164f8330f6b.jpg
20170823_175743-1008x756.thumb.jpg.d404771d13c33818929ed8e4ea479563.jpg
I like it, does it fit well?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, johninderby said:

It's just the grub screws that need threadlock so no disassembly required other than removing the grubscrews before fitting the shaft as they fit through the shaft on the axle as well as the driveshaft. 

John

IMG_1465.jpg

IMG_1466.jpg

Ahh I read someone lost the counter sunk hex?

i removed it anyway & thread locked it, it had none on it, then I did the grub screw.

Mines running now, savox 0252 on steering, steel driveshaft fitted, hobbywing 3656 3500kv motor with an old HPI flux vapour esc I found in the bin- ran round the garden sweet as!! Fast too, I'm using the 17T, so is 17T for top speed of acceleration?