• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Outlaw Owners

600BB Motor in and a quick bench test.  :thumbsup:

Soldered the leads and caps onto the motor and squeezed it into place. A couple of mm longer than the stock motor so just fits. Horrible thought. Will have to come out again when the aluminium motor mount arrives. :shockingscary: Stuck in a 2s LiPo and turned it on and no drama just worked although can tell it will improve when the motor is broken in. Motor ran much smoother and quieter than the stock motor. It seems to be much faster on 2s than the stock motor is on 3s.

:36_11_12[1]:

Can't wait to give it a test run tomorrow although I am a little worried that the stock plastic rear drive shaft may not hold up. Well the steel one is due about the end of the week.

John

Outlaw-600BB-Motor.jpg

Will be ordering BL combo shortly  :whistling:

End of the first test run of the FTX Outlaw with the 600BB motor. Ran very well but after a full pack the motor got just a bit hot !!! After letting it cool down though the motor still worked fine. Well tried a hotter brushed motor but looks like I'll be ordering a BL combo shortly.

John

• Like 1

OH NO!! Hope that motor can be used again, I didn't get smoke with mine the other day on 3S but was certainly getting too hot for my liking anyway, so left it alone for a while. I've used this particular gool motor before and it's great, hence why I bought another one. So you've ordered direct from FTX? I saw they are in stock there but still not in stock at MS. I'm tempted to cancel the MS order but I'm going back to work tomorrow so no great rush for them now...hopefully they'll be here for when I get home end of the month.

The motor seems to be OK despite looking a bit smokey inside. Think I caught it before any real damage was done. Having ball races at each end of the shaft saved it. Cheaper motor with plastic bushes would have had it. Let it cool and the car ran perfectly. No problems with the ESC. 

Thought the smoke looked like a 1:1 engine expiring.. :D

Yes ordered direct on Sunday night and it was dispatched today so should have the bits tomorrow. They did say 3 to 5 days delivery so they were right about that. 

John

Edited by johninderby

It wasn't running that fast so didn't expect it to overheat and the ESC didn't get hot. Think the gearing wasn't right as while it seemed fast sitting on the test stand (Xmas pud box) it didn't seem able to get up to full speed actually running. Oh well it will get used in something else some day.  ;)   

Now just a couple weeks wait for the BL system to arrive.  :sadwalk:

John

Edited by johninderby

Interested to see how it performs. The Goolrc kit has a very Hobbywing look to it and is priced very well. Only downside is having to use their program box, not a deal breaker, just a bit pants. 

The Goolrc program box is errr "functional" I guess you could say but at least it comes with the ESC. One limitation of the Outlaws gearing is only being able to use a 17t or 23t pinion. I'll start out with the 17t and see how it runs.

BTW FastLad has the Revco hardened steel pinion gears on at £1.99 which isn't bad for a 5mm bore pinion. 

John

Edited by johninderby

2 minutes ago, johninderby said:

BTW FastLad has the Revco hardened pinion gears on at £1.99 which isn't bad for a 5mm bore pinion. 

John

Thats what I bought for it :good:

1 hour ago, t2boats said:

I just went for the 23tooth, 48dp. Some depth on it!

I think the gears are actually Mod 0.6. The pinion as supplied with the 550 motor in the Vantage etc. is Mod 0.6. Wish FTX would just state the full specs of their gear parts. 

John

I've wondered the same thing often.. I went by what Helion were saying in their spec seen as it's the same model. I then just compared pictures and couldn't see any difference at all in the spur gears - so I'm hoping it'll be a nice mesh anyway :huh:

I was just going by what Helion state on their spec for the car, saying 48dp. I've looked at photos of both spur gears from both cars and they seem to appear to be identical. Anyway, they're only cheap pinions anyway as you say.

7 hours ago, t2boats said:

it does look meatier than 48dp doesn't it, I've got some mod 0.6 pinions, I should've  meshed one with the spur to see, away working now so I'll have to wait 3wks :boredlook:

D'oh!