• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Outback Ranger

t2boats

Hello, I've tried the Tundra on the Ranger and it looks a better fit than the Trekker, unless W/Spin have sent me rogue Trekker one, I had to drill the fixing holes, so perhaps it is a general one, had the Ranger out with the Trekker body on it seems to be Okay, in use, but look at the rear of the trekker in 3 rd photo, I am going to have to cut a bit off and for that matter a bit off rear of front arch WP_20170801_20_12_24_Pro.thumb.jpg.9ac9cddf3e4867d62b43ba31ca73a2ef.jpg ever tried trying to drive 2 at the same time ? it is something I found more or les impossible 

First time I've had the Tundra out on steepish hills, seems top heavy and that's before roof rack etc but it was going along slope, let you know how it goes

:wheelchair:

WP_20170801_20_11_47_Pro.thumb.jpg.cb117e6a3e4f916b18ea2dff62233856.jpg 

WP_20170801_20_12_42_Pro.jpg

WP_20170801_20_12_24_Pro.jpg

Edited by mamodman

They look great Fred!! 

It looks like your body sits a little lower than mine on the rear, can't see the sticker of the reflector lens? Maybe raise the body posts slightly?IMG_6221.thumb.JPG.9c02530cdb97af797c59fc710754c73e.JPG

my rear body posts are in the 3rd hole from the bottomIMG_6222.thumb.JPG.483b49d3552b892261d5ebda86ba451e.JPG

and fronts 2nd from bottomIMG_6223.thumb.JPG.9b6b086b248cbb092de59c599edf46e1.JPG

hope this might help you a little bit?

Hello, do you know I have cut the body - this is before tidying it up, I'll try that with the body post, must have had a very serious senior minutes/hours :crying: also I thought the body mounts seem a bit wobbly and weak, but it might just be me

WP_20170801_21_48_22_Pro.thumb.jpg.9d26cc6c8f1948bb8b207ec483aff5ab.jpg

Edited by mamodman

I'm not too sure all is lost with that body just yet! Maybe try the body post adjustment to a position your happy with and you could always fill the gap later on? Red foam sheet? Wire mesh? 

The thing is with this type of truck is they are gonna have a tough time as we learn they're limits, so they are gonna get roughed up bit so you may not mind your trimmed sections after a while? Mines quite scratched now as is my nice black roof rack!

The body posts do seem a little flimsy but they have stood up to multiple rolls down rocky faces during my "finding my feet" sessions! FTX do aluminium replacement posts should you want to go that route.   

Edited by Wabom1981
  • Like 1

As Wabom says above Fred, just adjust the body posts to the suitable height and perhaps horizontally if needs be. It'll definitely fit then! You might need to move outwards each bumper too. Hope you get it to fit!

Edited by t2boats
  • Like 2

Hello Wabom1981 and t2boats, what you say is right, the Tundra last night took quite a few side bumps rolling down sideways down a slope, I'll have a fiddle round later today and see what I can do, it's all good fun though - really enjoying myself, and it's good to have people like you to chat with :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Glad you're liking it! The Outback is my first venture into rock crawlers, and I've been really impressed with how well it copes considering what I tell it to do. Would love to see one compete, but don't know where those sort of events happen?!

• Like 1

nNo can't help you there, I'd like to see racing or crawling events as well, someone told me that Discovery shed on Sky had a series on hobbies and one of them was on RC cars in Scotland - you can find it on catch up no idea which episode, just got RC Racer it's got page about FTX Mauler, not as scale or good looking as our trucks but has a RC540 motor, start drooling now :lol:

Fun is what it's all about mamodman!! I could spend hours out driving mine and tinkering with it!

im with you on that too t2boats, would be great to see one in a competition or even to take part in one. I watch a lot of the RCsparks videos on YouTube and the "call to crawl" and "tough truck" competitions in Canada look great. 

Well worth a watch if you haven't seen them?

I know there was a uk event recently called recon G6, not sure where it took place though. 

I live in Bristol and found a pretty excellent trail next to the Clifton suspension bridge yesterday, I often think when out crawling how good these places would be for an event. Not too sure of the size of the RC scene near me let alone the RC crawler scene. Would be great to met up with like minded big kids.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Wabom1981 said:

Thought I'd just leave this here in case anyone fancied a look. 

Yes I watched a lot of his videos, quite entertaining! Not sure what his occupation is, but he has some serious time on his hands :huh:  and what a great set up he's got there.... totally jealous!

• Like 2

Had some accessories arrive for the outback today, tow ropes, water container, bungee cords and shovel and axe set. Looking a little more business now!! 

Also had the new motor and pinion turn up too (weekend job) may be tempted to strip the axles and grease up but we'll see :boredlook:

Edited by Wabom1981
  • Like 1

That's worth doing Wabom, I greased mine after seeing how much dirt had accumulated around the bearings and drive hex's after a few runs. It's not 100% proof but at least it stops the majority of  ?  from getting in! 

• Like 2

Hello All, Wabcom you are definitely going to need a bigger motor :unsure: looking good though - I had a busy night last night, fitted FTX lightbar, beware wrong nuts and bolts are in pack  are wrong, or someone else wrote instructions, so even if I don't have all bits fitted yet - I am ready for the dark nights :thumbsup: t2boats thanks for that tip about greasing,

WP_20170803_13_54_10_Pro.jpg

• Like 2

Did a bit on the Ranger today, while I'm having a good few days, not sure about the placement of the fire extinguisher :unsure: really like the donated bed rolls :lol:

WP_20170803_20_21_37_Pro.jpg

WP_20170803_20_20_56_Pro.jpg

WP_20170803_20_27_28_Pro.jpg

Edited by mamodman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mamodman said:

Did a bit on the Ranger today, while I'm having a good few days, not sure about the placement of the fire extinguisher :unsure: really like the donated bed rolls :lol:

WP_20170803_20_21_37_Pro.jpg

WP_20170803_20_20_56_Pro.jpg

WP_20170803_20_27_28_Pro.jpg

Good work Fred, that's a very nice roof top collection you have there!

• Like 1

Yes you are to blame for starting me off :thumbsup: - I don't care what you say you are going to need to go up a scale, or get a bigger motor, or a trailer?  I am seriously considering that !!!!  I was going to put petrol tank and fire extinguisher on the back but thought I'd try it out first coming down a hill Reg plates on way,

Edited by mamodman
  • Like 1