• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Carisma GT24 Owners

johninderby

The rally likes smooth(ish) tarmac. Really doesn't like any little steps or bumps. The tarmac in my vid is about the roughest I'd recommend using it on.

The MT however would be my choice for the skatepark or back lane. Goes over bumps and lumps nearly as well a a 1/10 scale. Has way more ground clearance than the rally or buggy. Haven't seen the truggy in person but should be similar ground clearance to the MT.

John

The truggy and MT chassis look identical. Checked the part numbers and both the truggy and MT use the same tyres and wheels as well as the same suspension parts. The MT chassis even comes with the truggy body mounts. So it looks like the body shell is the only difference.

John

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

Order placed for the truggy :)

I'll only be running it outdoors so I'm thinking 2s will be the way to go. @johninderby I see you've gone for the 350mah packs, is that because they're the largest that will fit or is it just that you already had one spare?

350mah is about the max size that will fit.

The 350mah packs won't fit unless they're just the right shape (a lot are too wide) so you have to be careful when ordering one. The Zippy one I linked to a few replies ago is the one I used. You can buy the Carisma 2s 350mah pack from MS etc but it's more expensive than the Zippy one.

John

Edited by johninderby

15 minutes ago, everclear1984 said:

Great price too, shame they're out of stock :(

On eBay. Bit pricier but still two batteries for about the same price as one of the Carisma batteries.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zippy-FlightMax-LiPo-Battery-2s-7-4V-20C-350mAh-RC-Heli-Plane-TWINPACK-/281504285700?hash=item418af68404:g:JSMAAOSwQJhUbj5l

• Like 1

Want to improve the controllability of the GT24R with 2s and decided a better ESC and radio would help.

The stock servo is a 5 wire one so that would have to go as well.  Had a spare micro metal geared servo already that would fit as well as being a lot faster and much more powerful. A Turnigy TGY-9025MG. Just needed the mounting ears cutting off and it was a direct replacement. Well it's actually a tiny, tiny bit bigger but still fits into the stock mounting and the mounting cover fits with a little bit of persuading. Used the servo horn that came with the servo with a screw fitted from the back to make the pin that engages the stock steering arm/slide. No servo saver but the servo is metal geared and a lot stronger than stock so shouldn't be a problem.

Have ordered a little Quicrun WP-16BL30 ESC which I'll mount on top of the chassis cover. At least I'll be able to program it with a softer start to protect the drive train.

Now the big question. Do I upgrade the motor to the 12,000KV one while I'm at it? :rolleyes:

John

GT24R-Servo-1.jpg

GT24R-Servo-2.jpg

REHW830001.jpg

Edited by johninderby

For a cheap car, some of the upgrade prices are taking the pee....

The Quicrun Esc, for the price, does make sense. Having both an Rx and a servo in the parts box keeps your spend down...although a replacement wouldn't be a bank breaker for 'someone' who doesn't have one lying around....

I'm still undecided.... 

Will be interesting to see how much a decent ESC and radio improve things. Might just stick a little 3s LiPo in just to see what happens.  :rolleyes:  Funny that some of the replacement bits are dirt cheap but others cost the earth. Also ordered a couple of metal pinions which were cheap.

Wonder what a Barrage / Outback would work out to if you got all the alloy bits and upgrades? An SCX II would be cheaper I think. 

John

Edited by johninderby

Probably so.... interesting that the ECX parts cost more than the FTX and that, IMO, the ECX has better electrics yet they have an identical RRP.

If I widen the axles, FTX parts will be installed :D

6 minutes ago, Noj said:

Probably so.... interesting that the ECX parts cost more than the FTX and that, IMO, the ECX has better electrics yet they have an identical RRP.

If I widen the axles, FTX parts will be installed :D

If you widen the axles just buy the wider rear axles and the wide hexes and I'll pop a couple of the wider front axles in the post. Heaven knows why they supply them in packs of four.  :017:

John

I used to use these servos in my old Losi micros as you could get a bit of servo tape on the bottom so they didn't move on you but there not metal geared but I never stripped any.. I used the same screw trick as well ;) 

http://www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/208729/

if you guys want a small rx and 2.4 radio check out the goolrc radios on eBay 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291960141356

you can remove the cover and shrink wrap them so they should fit under the top cover where the old esc went but you might have to play around with it to get it to fit you can do the same with any rx you have handy as long as it's small enough ;) 

I used to love the little Hobbywing esc 18a but the Quicrun is a much better looking esc now less wires as well I think 

The Quicrun is small and light enough just to mount it on top along with a micro receiver. Plenty of room under the body shell so don't have to bother squeezing it all inside.

You must be thinking of another servo. Some of the model numbers are so similar and look similar as well. This particular servo is actually metal geared. First gear is a plastic sacrificial gear as is standard in most metal geared servos.

20140106-175323.jpg

Edited by johninderby

8 minutes ago, johninderby said:

The Quicrun is small and light enough just to mount it on top along with a micro receiver. Plenty of room under the body shell so don't have to bother squeezing it all inside.

You must be thinking of another servo. Some of the model numbers are so similar and look similar as well. This particular servo is actually metal geared. First gear is a plastic sacrificial gear as is standard in most metal geared servos.

20140106-175323.jpg

Yep I know the one your using is metal geared the one I linked is smaller so might fit better but sadly it's not metal geared but I never stripped them when I used them in my old Losi micro sct's so they should be fine in this but metal is always a plus ;) 

just throwing out some alternatives for follks 

Still enjoying thrashing this about. Still not keen on the looks tho. stumbled on this 1/18 scale VW. Im sure its on a Losi mini t chassis in the pic (Wheelbase 5.6in.) Im pretty sure it will fit the GT24 chassis, dispite the difference in scale the wheelbase of the VW body  looks to be the same as the GT chassis, And i would guess the VW arches will just about cover the GT wheels. Got to be worth trying?

losi kamtec vw.jpg

I love the look of the beetle shell, I run the FTX bugsta on shell on my Firestorm so I might have to go for the same look in miniature on the truggy :D I'm hoping it'll arrive tomorrow, I won't have much time to play before work so I might just take it with me ;) I ordered a couple 2s packs which should be here by the end of week.

• Like 1