• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Tamiya WT-01 Build

BlackHole

WT-01 stock tyres have quite stiff sidewalls and typically don't require foams.

If keeping the stock motor, often you don't have to glue the tyres - the elasticity of the rubber is enough to keep them seated. However with a motor upgrade, glued tyres are a very good idea.

Edited by XV Pilot

Factory Team 55w and 30w doesn't seems to be doing alot of difference to shocks. The speed of the shock travel isn't reducing infact they both same. Am I doing something wrong or is it has a unnoticeable effect? What can I do to reduce the speed of shock travel due to falling from heights so the chassis doesn't hit the ground.  

Edited by BlackHole

Depending on the internal design of the shocks you have there, you might need to go for even thicker oil. A shock with small holes in the piston and/or few holes in the piston and/or fine clearance between piston and cylinder will feel significantly different with a relatively small change in oil thickness, while a shock with big holes in the piston and/or many holes in the piston and/or large clearances between piston and cylinder will need very thick oil to feel significantly different.

Stiffer springs would be the same length, but with a heavier gauge coil. I believe aftermarket shocks were fitted? If no other springs offered for those, you'd need to take measurements of the length and diameter of yours, then compare with offerings from other manufacturers to find something suitable.

You could opt for even heavier weight shock oil of course.....or accept that bottoming out is a fact of life;)

Did you take apart your shocks to see how good a fit the piston washer is inside with the shock body, as suggested earlier?

Only going by what I found with similar shocks I think, as had similar issue. I solved it by replacing the washer with one that was wider so increasing resistance.

Just now, locky said:

Did you take apart your shocks to see how good a fit the piston washer is inside with the shock body, as suggested earlier?

Only going by what I found with similar shocks I think, as had similar issue. I solved it by replacing the washer with one that was wider so increasing resistance.

The washer has two holes and it seems to have resistance but only small amount.

2 minutes ago, locky said:

Did you measure the diameter of the washer and compare to internal diameter of shock body?  How large are the holes?  Are they actual holes and not semi circles on the edge?

They are semi circles on the edge. No ididn't measure. I don't know how to take out the washer. 

Sound like same as those I found. So the washer is alot smaller than shock body and basically does naff all. You need larger washers. I dont have any more spare ones. I think Blacksmithproducts on ebay may have some but you need to measure the shock body internal diameter and then compare their description. An E clip usually holds the washer on, you need to first unscrew the bottom shock mount and then push the shaft out of body. Or put up a wanted ad with your washer dimensions. Alternatively get some Tmaxx shocks which fit direct, usually on ebay new and used....http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Traxxas-T-Maxx-3-3-Shock-Set-4-pack-/371636405195?hash=item56874183cb:g:Pk8AAOSwR5dXQ0a4

Hmm. Not the tightest of clearances, but not excessive for a basher IMO. Personally I'd just go for thicker oil rather than trying to find alternative shock pistons to fit.

Impressions of the new motor : 

took the car to the park last week and this week, and ran for about 30 mins non-stop. Battery seems to be draining out twice than 27t motor. Almost doing a wheelie when rear tires have traction but didn't had 100% rear traction. It is fast and played with few jumps. Took 40 mins to clean everything everytime :P. Averall ofcourse new motor is good and love it. 

What you think of this to mount in the car? Not the best quality but

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WIFI-IP-Wireless-Spy-Cam-Remote-Surveillance-DV-Security-Micro-Camera-Precise-/172364599044?hash=item2821bb0f04:g:3tMAAOSwTA9X9Mt4

Edited by BlackHole