• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Returning to the hobby

So I'm thinking of coming back into the hobby having been distracted by drones and planes for a while. I have run pretty much everything in the past and had most recently settled on 1/8 electric buggies. I started to attend NDOR but ran out of time to do so in the end.

Now I have some more time I'm thinking of starting up again, possibly at CMCC this time. However, I'm toying with the idea of 1/10 off-road to keep the cost of batteries down.

Thing is I have no idea what is a popular entry level club race buggy. Everything seems so expensive now!?

Help appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And here I am......

Well the 'in' buggy right now is the Associated B6 (Team rather than the B6D ) which has only been out a few weeks but is proving a hit with early adopters. But thats a full on team spec model retailing at £240 for the kit with no electrics, so cheap it isn't. But it does mean the market is flooded with perfectly good B5m's (the previous model) at low prices, so I'd look into one of them. 

At the lower end of the scale, the PRS1V2 is fast becoming a popular starter buggy. Inside Line Models who supply PR models have a small team running the full spec PRS1V3 race buggy, and its very competitive. A couple of their drivers have young kids who run the RTR version and are doing well with it. The older V2 is also available as a kit for £150 for you to add your own electrics. 

Prices look high, but actually the only real cost is in tyres. Due to the power of modern electrics and the limits of a 2wd chassis, there is no real need to buy expensive fancy escs or motors - you can easily get more than you need with a cheaper set up. I'm running budget Trackstar motors and Ultimate Nanotech cells along with cheap used ebay last generation esc's and the only things slow about my cars are the driver! But tyres aren't cheap - a modern forward motor 2wd will kill a set in a single meeting easily. 

• 3 months later...
Is 1/8 still the most popular? (And the most expensive!?)

Hi , Not sure abt 1/8 being more expensive
My 1/10 xray xb4 kit cost £400 then spent another £400 on the electrics.
My point is..... no mater the size of the model, it can be as expensive as you make it or want it [emoji2] .

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

• Like 1