• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Bugsta overheating

stonedef

My sons FTX Bugsta has started overheating the motor and battery to the point you can't touch them. 

The car is stock and has hardly been used. He broke the suspension last week, which has been repaired, but the drive shaft is slightly bent could that be the cause??

But I have checked that the spur and pinion are set right and the wheels are free running and not binding and all seems to be ok there. As I'm still finding my way again in the RC world after a 15yr absence, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated 

3 minutes ago, stonedef said:

My sons FTX Bugsta has started overheating the motor and battery to the point you can't touch them. 

The car is stock and has hardly been used. He broke the suspension last week, which has been repaired, but the drive shaft is slightly bent could that be the cause??

But I have checked that the spur and pinion are set right and the wheels are free running and not binding and all seems to be ok there. As I'm still finding my way again in the RC world after a 15yr absence, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated 

Don't use it on grass?

I damaged a bl motor in a crash once when the mount snapped.

Seemed fine but was hotter, rotor was just catching the stator in certain points. Was a smooth mark on front end on lamination's ergo stator damaged.

On another there was a chipped tooth in the front diff spider gears, was jamming on occasion but didn't affect it moving but the motor was picking up on it.

On 9/29/2016 at 08:35, stonedef said:

I had planned to straighten the shaft at the weekend, so I will check the diffs as well. Any recommendations on any grease to use??

Try marine grease - a tub that'll last forever just doing RC's should cost you about a £5.  I use it on all my diff's that aren't sealed (whereas I use oil).  I can't remember whether FTX diff's are sealed / good for oil but Chewie will know.

• Like 1

I've got a tub of Comma Multipurpose Grease, it's useful stuff. The diffs can indeed hold oil, I've put shock oil in the Hooligan's diffs and it's running sweet as a nut.

So yesterday I stripped down the diffs and checked for damage and all was ok, so I re greased and put it back together and he ran it. So now its not overheating anymore, which is good but I wish I could have found the problem for future reference.

So we were out today and he broke the front suspension holder again, so replaced that and checked all the steering etc. But while doing that I noticed the steering servo seems to be under load all the time (buzzing/humming) with no input on the receiver. Looks like a new servo could be needed :(

Anyway I would like to say thanks for all the help

• Like 1