• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Esc problem

Mad-zuke

1 hour ago, Mad-zuke said:

Hi all

having few problems with the esc normally you would get the bleeps when switching on

but just tried it and there's no bleeps at all 

could this be knaffed as its only 3 weeks old from hobbyking

1 hour ago, Noj said:

Could be, hobbyking ESCs are cheap for a reason....

Try recalibrating with your TX.

I'd try a different battery too, and check the connections - you don't mention whether there's any leds that illuminate.  

Ah, the magic smoke has escaped. 

It is this smoke that makes things work properly.

It is fit only for the bin, once any useful connectors and wires have been cut off for the spares box.

Interestingly, maybe, I had a small puff of the magic smoke leak from a Hobbywing Esc of mine, which continued to then function perfectly for many months, before finally kicking the bucket. Having (honestly) sold it on by this point, it mattered not! 

7 hours ago, Mad-zuke said:

Yep definitely won't bother using it

strange as it was working perfectly a couple of days ago 

could be a hobbyking thing ?

What esc do you others use and recommend my max would be 4s 

In the GV cage? it's a 1/8 isn't it and a tad on the heavy size?

Ordinarily most would say the Hobbywing wpsc8 though it's towards the edge of the envelope I'd imagine in the GV.  The quicrun 150a isn't a deal more expensive, has 150a and upto 6S so lots of headroom should you stick to 4 but also has the benefit of you could try more (5S is the sweet spot for me in a 1/8 truggy now) but also it has more reuse potential for another model.

2 hours ago, capri-boy said:

In the GV cage? it's a 1/8 isn't it and a tad on the heavy size?

Ordinarily most would say the Hobbywing wpsc8 though it's towards the edge of the envelope I'd imagine in the GV.  The quicrun 150a isn't a deal more expensive, has 150a and upto 6S so lots of headroom should you stick to 4 but also has the benefit of you could try more (5S is the sweet spot for me in a 1/8 truggy now) but also it has more reuse potential for another model.

Hi craig

yes it's the gv cage and it weighs a ton ?

I did replace the esc a while a go as it went pop and been using the one from hobbyking I thought for the price it would of been a decent one 

the link below is the one I had 

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__33984__TrackStar_150A_GenII_1_8th_Scale_Sensored_Brushless_Car_ESC_PC_Programmable_.html?strSearch=Turnigy%20track%20star%20150

6 hours ago, Mad-zuke said:

Hi craig

yes it's the gv cage and it weighs a ton ?

I did replace the esc a while a go as it went pop and been using the one from hobbyking I thought for the price it would of been a decent one 

the link below is the one I had 

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__33984__TrackStar_150A_GenII_1_8th_Scale_Sensored_Brushless_Car_ESC_PC_Programmable_.html?strSearch=Turnigy%20track%20star%20150

That's Hobbyking's SKYRC 'clone' and not a terrible esc all said, though like Noj says I'd a. pick a hobbywing over it and b. look at the motor side of things c. monitor how your using it - are they going pop  when your running in heavy grass?  drivetrain all free and no binding?  etc.