• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Help required for my son first buy.

Watsontotty

Hi and I'm sure this has been asked many times but can you recommend a decent quality rc car for my 11 year old son, looking for something already pre built and fairly easy to mess around with or requires little work as I'm not too tech minded. 

Ive built the odd Tamiya in the past and used one but looking for something different and on a budget, I'd be looking for used car ideally so with that in mind budget new around £120 thanks. 

Bugsta and BSD prime desert assault if you know them. 

Why prebuilt may I ask?

Most RTR models are assembled in sweatshop conditions by people who are under pressure for numbers and probably have little or no love for the hobby. Thus all but the very best RTR models benefit from a strip down and check over before running, to tighten the inevitable loose screws, correct assembly errors, replace parts that have been stripped or split through over tightening, etc. They say RTR means Ready To Rebuild...

There is also the issue of the included extras. Most RTRs come with the most basic of batteries and chargers, giving minimal runtimes and looooong charge times. You'd probably want to upgrade them pretty soon. So why not save some money and get decent kit at the outset?

9 hours ago, Watsontotty said:

I'd be looking for used car ideally so with that in mind budget new around £120 thanks. 

Sorry, I'm a bit unclear - do you want new or used?

4 hours ago, XV Pilot said:

Why prebuilt may I ask?

Most RTR models are assembled in sweatshop conditions by people who are under pressure for numbers and probably have little or no love for the hobby. Thus all but the very best RTR models benefit from a strip down and check over before running, to tighten the inevitable loose screws, correct assembly errors, replace parts that have been stripped or split through over tightening, etc. They say RTR means Ready To Rebuild...

There is also the issue of the included extras. Most RTRs come with the most basic of batteries and chargers, giving minimal runtimes and looooong charge times. You'd probably want to upgrade them pretty soon. So why not save some money and get decent kit at the outset?

Sorry, I'm a bit unclear - do you want new or used?

I'm looking at either used or new and as my son is only young he has no experience as yet with a rc car other than the bog standard toy shop £20 type ones. 

Hes not not old enough to Start taking things apart to re build them and so on hence why I've asked the original question, the odd screw tightening here and there is fine and I can try and help where I can but he will not only use the car while I'm around. 

He Is also funding this himself out of his own birthday money so has a budget to go off so I was hoping for a few pointers, once he has some experience and enjoys it then he can look to move up the range but at 11 years old I'm not sure spending £250 or more at this stage is the best idea but could be wrong so I'm asking advice. 

Ah, fair enough.

A few more questions then:

Does he have any racing aspirations? (Most clubs welcome youngsters - some even have junior classes - so he might want to race perhaps?)

If so, what class of vehicle does he want to race? (This may be decided by what classes are popular with your nearest club(s).)

If not a potential racer, where will he be driving the vehicle? What sort if terrain will it need to cope with?

You mention having built/ran a Tamiya. Do you have any RC gear (charger, battery, perhaps a radio) that he could use, or are we looking to set him up from scratch with everything he needs to run the car?

Have you considered a possible father/son build? I built a Rising Fighter with my nephew when he was 8. Obviously he needed a bit of help, but he enjoyed it and I'd like to think he learned a bit too. A 11 year old might well enjoy a build even more.

Whatever the answers to the above, bear in mind spares availability. A basic model from an established manufacturer with a good reputation for long term spares support would be a better purchase than an apparent high-spec bargain from a minor player that ends up on a shelf or in a bin when it breaks and you can't find the right parts to fix it.

8 hours ago, XV Pilot said:

Ah, fair enough.

A few more questions then:

Does he have any racing aspirations? (Most clubs welcome youngsters - some even have junior classes - so he might want to race perhaps?)

If so, what class of vehicle does he want to race? (This may be decided by what classes are popular with your nearest club(s).)

If not a potential racer, where will he be driving the vehicle? What sort if terrain will it need to cope with?

You mention having built/ran a Tamiya. Do you have any RC gear (charger, battery, perhaps a radio) that he could use, or are we looking to set him up from scratch with everything he needs to run the car?

Have you considered a possible father/son build? I built a Rising Fighter with my nephew when he was 8. Obviously he needed a bit of help, but he enjoyed it and I'd like to think he learned a bit too. A 11 year old might well enjoy a build even more.

Whatever the answers to the above, bear in mind spares availability. A basic model from an established manufacturer with a good reputation for long term spares support would be a better purchase than an apparent high-spec bargain from a minor player that ends up on a shelf or in a bin when it breaks and you can't find the right parts to fix it.

At this stage no racing aspirations to speak of and the terrain will be park grass and car park and concrete as well as any other area so not looking for a road only type car. 

At at this stage we have nothing from my old Tamiya set up and the build was never 100% complete it just never ran how it should so a friend took it away to look at and I never did get it back. 

As as this is his money and not mine it's on a budget although I will be paying 50% myself, looked on eBay and gumtree nothing local north east area which caught my eye, need full set up charger and everything thanks. 

have a look at the FTX range, ive got a Hooligan rally car so I can take it on and off road so you have some variety. Brushed one is around £100-125 but if he likes the hobby, he can (you can! Haha) upgrade as you go along with brushless etc. Comes RTR, just charge it up, put batteries in the controller and go ^_^

• Like 2

My usual recommendation in such cases is a Mad Bull, but that will stretch the budget somewhat, especially if you want to go the RTR route.

FTX plastics are not the strongest, and I would hesitate to suggest one of their trucks or buggies with their vulnerable suspension arms. However rally car arms receive greater protection from the chassis bumper and bodyshell, so it is not such an issue with them.

I really enjoy my TT-01 based rally car. If the FTX is anything like it in performance, I'd say your son would enjoy it immensely!

Edited by XV Pilot

stick with leccy, the sound of a nitro will annoy everyone around you so you will be hesitant to run it plus you have to tune the carb constantly. Start off brushed then upgrade once he gets the hang of it. Like XV, I loved my TT01 but as the Hooligan is a bit bigger, it looks more impressive as kids think big is better too.

There are some nitro models available locally at good prices used but very good condition, should a novice like myself consider or out of my ability as I'm not that tech 

I'm a nitro man through and through. But I'd have to say if you're not mechanically minded or have a lot of patience, they're not a good choice for a beginner.

The engines are dead simple, a carburettor that consists of a slide and 2 needles that regulate fuel, a 2 stroke design with a tapered bore and a glow plug that ignites the fuel. But they can be temperamental, running them in is a ball ache and very boring, and the variables with environmental factors can leave the beginner stumped as to why their car isn't running right or not atall, do your research, have the patience and learn about the engines, all the knock on effects of carb adjustments and you're quids in, and they're a hell of a lot of fun, but for a kid of yours' age, they'd get fed up in no time, I would.

Stick with electric for now, the only thing your lad will get bored with is waiting for the batteries to charge!

As for cars, I don't have much experience with electric, I built my first, a Tamiya Land Freeder cc01 just the other day, but I can recommend FTX, as I have the nitro Hooligan, and as the plastics aren't the best quality, I've found they're pretty well put together, won't break the bank and the spares are as cheap as chips, if he breaks something he'll most likely be able to replace it with his pocket money :lol: I think your lad would enjoy an electric Hooligan, I've ran my nitro one through reasonably long grass and its coped well, and the protection the big foam bumper at the front gives is good.

What is this 'good price'?.

Nice platform, easy to work on, will handle a brushless set up, just sold mine to our resident Wookies who has slapped a better combo in, mahoosive wheels on and is a very, very happy chappie.

Tamiya rising storm DF-02 with hop ups worth considering or not, local seller very very good condition at a good price ? Worth considering or not 

thanks 

Tamiya are very good, if you can still find readily available spare parts for it then yes, go for it. If they're few and far between or expensive then don't bother

16 minutes ago, Watsontotty said:

Tamiya rising storm DF-02 with hop ups worth considering or not, local seller very very good condition at a good price ? Worth considering or not 

thanks 

Ooh yes! Now we're talking! If something like that falls within your budget, snap it up pronto!

A reliable buggy with good plastics, lots of upgrade potential and plenty of spares, from an established company that is not likely to withdraw from the market any time soon, it would be a great way to start in the hobby IMO.

• Like 1

Ooh yes! Now we're talking! If something like that falls within your budget, snap it up pronto!

A reliable buggy with good plastics, lots of upgrade potential and plenty of spares, from an established company that is not likely to withdraw from the market any time soon, it would be a great way to start in the hobby IMO.

Well that's that sorted then! :D:yes:

Between Time Tunnel, Tamico, Tony's Tamiya Parts, Asiatees and eBay, I have yet to struggle to find a Tamiya part. Not that I have needed to do so often for my Rising Storm. The only time I broke it was when I drove it under a fullsize car, and even then it was just the front shock tower that got a bit bent. It is pretty strong!

The car is a good one, but whether £110 represents a good deal or not is hard to say without more info. For example what sort of battery/batteries, charger and radio gear does it come with, and which hop-ups are fitted? Does it come with any spares, and if so, which ones?