• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Traxxas Slash 4x4 3s Lipo

Looking at getting a slash 4x4 and wanting to know a few things of anyone who has experience with them. 

1st is do they run on 3s lipo stock gearing all day long happy with out shredding the gearbox or anything else. 

2nd is what 3s lipos from hobby king fit in them, i can change plugs over no problem so thats not a worry and would sooner get some high c rating 3 lipos if anyone knows of any that fit nice. 

cheers all any help would be great, Lee

Or anyone know a forum or facebook page with plenty of traxxas slash owners on to post this topic on. cheers again

Lots of slash owners on here. I ran mine with the vxl combo on 3s with no problems but the esc is known to be hit and and miss there is a newer version with the external caps not sure if it's better. If you buy new then you will have warranty if second hand would be better to sell the combo and buy an sc8/4000kv(ish) combo. 

2 hours ago, Bigjimknickers said:

I use the Hobbyking traxxas copy 5000mah 3s it's perfect. Just search the traxxas part no an you'll find it. Even has the trx connector.

Searched on hobbyking with part number but nothing comes up, cant find any lipos on there that fit the slash and i am not buying a car that needs £60 lipos putting in it as i only buy lipos from hobbyking and but plenty. There must be a company out there that does lipos for these things other than traxxas surley, i thought these slash trucks were popular. 

The older VXL combo had a lot of issues. The jury is still out on the newer one.  But if your running 3s  then you will need some good fans on the motor & ESC  also you will end up twisting the driveshafts.  So getting some MIP's  should be on your shopping list.

Fantastic folks, thanks for all your help. I will order a few lipos and find the mip's and of course the traxxas and just hope the newer combo is better than the last. Cheers again

Thats good news because i couldn't find any mip ones anywhere. shame it doesn't come stock to run 3s lipo like it says, having to spend another £60 to finish of building the car because traxxas are not capable of finishing of building a car them selves is anoying, makes it expensive at £500 compared to the Associated Pro sc at £319. Its all ways the same with cars, nothing comes good and runs like they claim stock, i remember why i turned over to quads 3 years back now. LOL  

Just watched a video now of someone saying they all so need a fan on esc and a fan on the motor, is this something that was needed with there old style motors and esc and the new ones dont. 

the older ones needed a motor fan really as they failed a lot.  But the never ones seem to be a lot better.  My son ran a slash 4x4 the other week for about 30 min's on longish grass and the motor was hot but you could keep your fingers on it. That was on 3s   11 / 54 gearing

Do the old style traxxas connector's that i guess the floureon batterys on ebay will come with fit the new traxxas connector that comes on the new slash. I have seen a vid that says they are new i think. Looking at the 2s 5500mah and the 3s 5500mah which are both 155x 25x 45 in size which are the same size as the traxxas lipos.