• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

ALIEN ESC's

K.nov

Decided to create this thread for everyone to share some knowledge on Alien esc.

These esc's have been the most affordable option for anyone looking to run their large scale brushless beasts at 10s or above.

I know however it tends to be a hit and miss with some of these speed controller.

I feel these esc's have such huge potential in the rc market that if we can all pool our ideas and experiences with these escs then we could help with further improvements. Or just if anyone has tried anything that makes the esc work for them.

I myself have been running my alien esc for going on two years now and it been great. Few issues but overall it's been bulletproof and predictable.

The braking has however been far from smooth and the forward to reverse is always a gamble on whether this is the time your diff decides to shatter under pressure. In a straight line on 10s is a bullet. I just pull the throttle and hope to find a safe run off as brakes have been rubbish.

I have however found a way to have acceptable stopping power from my alien 350. Through fiddling with the settings on the computer then going for a run. Still could be tweaked some more I think and I'm optimistic the current setup can be improved. Will be testing and tweaking as soon and time a weather permits.

So guys please do share your setups with what has worked and what hasn't for you.

I will post pics of my setup soon as I get a chance to fiddle.

Currently running

Fg stadium 4wd

Alien 350a esc with external bec

Castle 2028 780 kv

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

hi, what alien esc is it? have you ran it? any problems with it? what motor you running? what batterys you running? just curious[emoji3]

Have a read of the post mate. Pretty sure it answers all your questions.

I'm running zippy 5s 8000 x 2

I've tried that ESC on 14s with a Neu 425kv can and on 10s with the 2028 in my 5ive.

I turned off reverse and backed motor braking right down. Went like a stabbed rat, however, I cannot get on with the bizarre arming and calibration procedure ergo am about to pull it and revert back to a lowly, 8s set up.

Rather disappointed tbh as it outperformed the MGM I had installed previously (which frankly was a bag of nails and mysteriously expired) and made mi 5ive come alive again.

Had an alien 350a for over a year now, which will finally be going into my blackout over the next few weeks. Have high hopes for this esc but with the problems others have had I bought a max 5 as back up ;)

Saviown, can you paste a link to that 'thing' you fitted from the US that solves the arming issue and also explain what it does please?

I'd rather not fit the max5 and drop to 8s, as I know it will be 'tame'....plus, a slow, Subaru RB5 will just be embarrassing :lol:

I've tried that ESC on 14s with a Neu 425kv can and on 10s with the 2028 in my 5ive.

I turned off reverse and backed motor braking right down. Went like a stabbed rat, however, I cannot get on with the bizarre arming and calibration procedure ergo am about to pull it and revert back to a lowly, 8s set up.

Rather disappointed tbh as it outperformed the MGM I had installed previously (which frankly was a bag of nails and mysteriously expired) and made mi 5ive come alive again.

Tug has told me about this bizarre arming procedure, I haven't experienced it myself. Mine just works right off the bat.

How do you have your cell count on auto or manual? And what version of the software do you have loaded onto it?.

When I get to play with it. I will post you my exact settings from the firmware.

Also what radio do you have running from it? Also try plugging esc in first and then switch on Bec. Thats why I do and I've never had a problem.

I've also uploaded the flier rc firmware onto mine, which is the 4.5 version compared to Bruno's 4.0. And it's worked. I find the flier software offers you more parameters to play with.

Do let me know how you get on, hopefully we can solve this issue and keep you running 14 demons.

Had an alien 350a for over a year now, which will finally be going into my blackout over the next few weeks. Have high hopes for this esc but with the problems others have had I bought a max 5 as back up [emoji6]

Good shout, hopefully you won't need it[emoji106]

Yep most of them;-) are you getting problems with arming it like noj described?

I just haven't seen it mate, would be good if someone could post a vid[emoji106]

Had an alien 350a for over a year now, which will finally be going into my blackout over the next few weeks. Have high hopes for this esc but with the problems others have had I bought a max 5 as back up [emoji6]

I do recommend sticking to only programming from a laptop, mate because if you get it wrong with the programming card, you will end up blowing esc. (from experience)

Ey up K,

Will have to download the software again onto my new PC and see what version is installed on the ESC.

Running a futaba 3pl set up, with a castle BEC pro, however, as this is only rated to 12s (my bad there in fitting it, although it never blew:lol:), it needs swapping out....any recommendations for a suitable BEC gratefully received.

Cell count was manually set via the software on the PC, although getting the ESC to fire up in settings mode was also very much hit and miss.....

I was still in testing phase when I lost my nerve with it, having achieved soaring temps with the 2028 on 10s, I dropped the Neu can back in, fitted a smaller spur then just left it alone.....

Noj Fail...:mellow:

5 hours ago, Noj said:

Saviown, can you paste a link to that 'thing' you fitted from the US that solves the arming issue and also explain what it does please?

I'd rather not fit the max5 and drop to 8s, as I know it will be 'tame'....plus, a slow, Subaru RB5 will just be embarrassing :lol:

http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-21.html

bottom of the page, no spark arming switch, great bit of kit, says at bottom how it works, only problem is cost of shipping:(

• Like 1

Ey up K,

Will have to download the software again onto my new PC and see what version is installed on the ESC.

Running a futaba 3pl set up, with a castle BEC pro, however, as this is only rated to 12s (my bad there in fitting it, although it never blew[emoji38]), it needs swapping out....any recommendations for a suitable BEC gratefully received.

Cell count was manually set via the software on the PC, although getting the ESC to fire up in settings mode was also very much hit and miss.....

I was still in testing phase when I lost my nerve with it, having achieved soaring temps with the 2028 on 10s, I dropped the Neu can back in, fitted a smaller spur then just left it alone.....

Noj Fail...:mellow:

Yes Noj,

If you look at my Fg you'll see a 7.4 lipo strapped to the front soldered to a cheapo hobbyking Bec. So in essence I'm running 3 batteries in my rig.

With the esc plugged in to pc, start the alien software up and that should start up with the esc already connected mate.

Has anyone had the start issue with a spektrum setup as that's what I'm using and have never had this problem???

I find also on 2028 I have turned the Pwm frequency to 8, my motor timing to 10 and have switched motor timing monitor off. I've have had no heat issues with my 2028 on 10s running full blast getting between 30-40 minutes runtimes.

I have found however that turning the timing and Pwm down I have lost some speed. But that's negligible as it's still crap your pants fast. So still happy speed wise.

Get your software installed and do some fiddling mate.

http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-21.html

bottom of the page, no spark arming switch, great bit of kit, says at bottom how it works, only problem is cost of shipping[emoji20]

Will have to try this if I ever have this problem.

Thanks for the heads up about the prog box k.nov  :good: Tried connecting the esc to the laptop but couldn't get it to connect in Windows 8. I bought the prog box but haven't used it yet. When the time comes I shall give it another try on the laptop which now runs Windows 10.

Thanks for the heads up about the prog box k.nov  :good: Tried connecting the esc to the laptop but couldn't get it to connect in Windows 8. I bought the prog box but haven't used it yet. When the time comes I shall give it another try on the laptop which now runs Windows 10.

I know the flier rc website, offers a prolific driver for Windows 10. Check that out when your ready. And keep us updated mate

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Had another go at connecting the esc to the laptop last night using the driver saviown linked above, no joy :(

never connected an esc to PC before so probably making a noob mistake somewhere lol

Royal PIA to get the Alien to connect up.

Assuming you have the right software installed, I had to disconnect then reconnect several times before connection was actually made. Tug encountered the same issues with his.

I really want to love this ESC.....

I love it:) it just starts every time for me:) its brand new replacement so not sure if Bruno has done something software wise, firmware off alien website needs to be car16s v40 or v45 (that's what Bruno told me) seems everytime I get windows auto updates on lap top alien programming don't work, just installed off that link I posted and didn't work, I went into device manager clicked on "ports" clicked update drivers as was showing code 10, still didn't work so clicked properties, then clicked previous or earlier version(something like that as it now just shows driver installed) and it worked, as you can tell im crap with computers so if I can do it...........