• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Slash 4x4 - Overheating

Hello all.

I recently bought a brand new Traxxas Slash 4x4 and up to now I am loving it whole lot different with a 2s LiPo.

Now about heating problems.

My motor is reaching around 64.2c after a 20 minute run and my ESC is reaching around 31.1c after a 20 minute run also.

Is this overheating? Also should I be checking the temperature of the LiPo battery every so often?

Will this help keep the ESC cool?

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=29191&gclid=CjwKEAjw6sC5BRCogcaY_dKZ2nESJABsZihxyvrtkxbTKor7TeYJ5I47M6x9LaMpeMR6VkQndXGi1xoCC5Hw_wcB

Can you buying anything to keep the motor cool as well or would I need to buy a heatsink motor?

Thanks.

56 minutes ago, DBXL Smithy said:

Hello all.

I recently bought a brand new Traxxas Slash 4x4 and up to now I am loving it whole lot different with a 2s LiPo.

Now about heating problems.

My motor is reaching around 64.2c after a 20 minute run and my ESC is reaching around 31.1c after a 20 minute run also.

Is this overheating? Also should I be checking the temperature of the LiPo battery every so often?

Will this help keep the ESC cool?

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=29191&gclid=CjwKEAjw6sC5BRCogcaY_dKZ2nESJABsZihxyvrtkxbTKor7TeYJ5I47M6x9LaMpeMR6VkQndXGi1xoCC5Hw_wcB

Can you buying anything to keep the motor cool as well or would I need to buy a heatsink motor?

Thanks.

Points for keeping track of the temps :thumbsup:

But as noted there well within parameters, especially considering outside air temps at the moment.  If it was mine I'd fit an ESC fan, if only for peace of mind and longevity, though you should be able to do it for a lot less than the £20 plus for the Traxxas one.  I only run one motor fan, and that's on a plastic fantastic Maverick Strada clone, everything else I have has a metal motor mount bolted to a metal chassis which helps to transfer heat, and prefer to have airflow scoops (cheeseboard holes) on the basher shells for extended running in very hot weather.

as long as your readings are accurate 65 will be ok. For me a warning goes off in my head if I'm over 60.  What u need to know is anything over 80 is where demagnetization occurs and severely reduces the motors life.  If u are over 70 get concerned quickly ;)

Other motors will run cooler than what u have fyi

I think a good motor heatsink will be just as good as a motor fan. Use thermal paste too which I'm told makes the heatsink much more effective. 

The vxl is a crappy system for heat issues tho but I usually only hear of heat problems with 3s lipo. Are you using the Std gearing? 

When you replace the vxl the hobbywing sc8 esc is a beast for the slash using 2s or 3s will give it an easy life and hopfully extend its overall life. Hobbywing or Leppard motor it'll be sweet.  

Turnigy trackstar 2650kv is popular in the slash too but 2s might be pointless.