• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Help with Tamiya Vanquish rebuild (!)

TurboFurball

A vanquish in mostly serviceable condition dropped into my lap recently, and because I'm a masochist I've decided to rebuild it rather than just flip it ... which leads me to some questions ...

Does anyone have an original manual they could read details to me from?  I've downloaded a scan of it from the intertubes, but it's so low res I can't make out the model numbers for the bearings (if not, I'll just have to measure them I guess, lol)

Also, while I can easily find stainless M3 hardware on ebay I'm having trouble finding stainless/hex versions of the self-tapper type screws - any tips on that?

Thats all for now, I'm 3D printing a new front shock mount for it and I'm not sure about rebuilding the shocks, but I'm going to see how it goes and hopefully eventually end up with something out of the ordinary :)

Thanks in advance for any tips!

The Vanquish is the "everyman" member of the Avante family, with a plastic tub chassis and to my eye possibly the best-looking shell of the bunch. It is quite a rare beast nowdays, so it is nice to read that one is being restored.

A lot of people don't bother trying to find hex head self-tappers, instead tapping the plastic for M3 hardware and using hex head machine screws in their place.

Thanks, I think I've resigned myself to using either M3, or where not possible posi head tappers ... not the tidiest solution, but it'll be ok!

As for the Vanquish, this one is an early early one so definitely worth someone fixing it up - I'll put up pics when finished ... it's a lot more workable than the Avante IMO, has lots of quirks, and still manages to be over-complex, lol.  But it does have a shedload of ground clearance, anti-roll bars, and has a more "engineered" feel than a TT02-B based buggy :)