• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

The Tamiya Thread! Aka just ask XVPilot :-)

TMaxxDave

3 minutes ago, XV Pilot said:

I enjoy this forum but I do hate the software on which it runs - sometimes it lets me edit my posts, sometimes it inexplicably refuses.

Anyway, the paragraph of my last post that deals with ball diff setting should read as follows:

"Setting ball diffs is a bit of a black art. Hardcore racers can write essays on the subject. However for general driving, I find it sufficient to tighten them until you can hold the diff and one outdrive in one hand, and try to turn the other outdrive by hand without it slipping, but not so tight that if you try to turn the outdrives in opposite directions without holding the diff,  you can't turn them or they turn with too much resistance. They should have some resistance but only minimal notchiness."

I think the best method of tuning a ball diff is to place it on a hard surface, pick up a sledgehammer and apply the head of the hammer to the diff at maximum possible velocity. It won't slip ever again. :good:

I think the best method of tuning a ball diff is to place it on a hard surface, pick up a sledgehammer and apply the head of the hammer to the diff at maximum possible velocity. It won't slip ever again. :good:

Whilst wearing safety googles to avoid tiny little balls to the eyes. No-one likes balls in the eyes....

• Like 1

Just now, TMaxxDave said:

Whilst wearing safety googles to avoid tiny little balls to the eyes. No-one likes balls in the eyes....

I think that depends entirely on the recipient/s ......however...

Bits and bobs ordered. Bit gutted to stick it on hold for now but isn't that often the way, when picking up a second hand item and assuming it'll be easy to get up and running :lol:

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TMaxxDave said:

Think Noj said it all.......................................................................

• Like 1

0a0f31af9bd533a1999ce34ed990f1cc.jpg

Real alloy, alloy wheels from USA with £12.95 customs charge.

Mr XVP.... took the Neo put for a spin today, and very quickly decided that the Torque tuned motor juat isnt going to cut it. Could you reccomend a faster Tamiya motor please that will work with the TBLE2 ESC that is brushed.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 Neo

• Like 2

You're limited to 25 turns or higher Dave. Best way to go quicker with that speedo is get a Tamiya brushless can or fit a bigger pinion. Are you running NiHm or LiPo?

You're limited to 25 turns or higher Dave. Best way to go quicker with that speedo is get a Tamiya brushless can or fit a bigger pinion. Are you running NiHm or LiPo?

Shall be running NiHm in this as its just easier. I thought the ESC supported down to 23? But i have been qrong before

1 minute ago, TMaxxDave said:

Shall be running NiHm in this as its just easier. I thought the ESC supported down to 23? But i have been qrong before

Nope, 25, just checked the specs. A LiPo will wake that stock can up nicely. 

1 minute ago, TMaxxDave said:

Its stepping into the dark side. Lol. Will the esc auto switch between NiHm and LiPo?

LiPo doesn't exist in Tamiyaland. You'll need a Low Voltage Alarm which plugs into the balance lead of the pack. LiPo packs aren't as scary as they seem, I used to be wary of them but now I can't imagine my life without them!

LiPo doesn't exist in Tamiyaland. You'll need a Low Voltage Alarm which plugs into the balance lead of the pack. LiPo packs aren't as scary as they seem, I used to be wary of them but now I can't imagine my life without them!

I run LiPo in my Hyper 10TT. Brushless. LiPo and brushless killed my TB-01 drivetrain, hence why my Tamiya's are all brushed. Ive got a LVA. My packs arent suitable for this chassis.

So stick with LiPo and brushed? Or try a bigger pinion. Or fit a Quicrun 1060 and Firebolt 15t. 

Bigger pinion is an option, I'm trying to stick with all Tamiya stuffs on this build. The ESC is LiFe ready? Throwing a 3s LiFe pack in there at 9.9v would work?

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

The TBLE-02 is really quite limited as a brushed ESC. The Tamiya GT Tuned motor is about as hot as you can go without triggering it's thermal shutdown.

Any particular reason why you have to go with a brushed motor? The TBLE-02 will go all the way down to 10 turns brushless. I find my TT-02B flies along on a 13.5t, and I haven't even had to go LiPo - I still run NiMH.

Just now, XV Pilot said:

The TBLE-02 is really quite limited as a brushed ESC. The Tamiya GT Tuned motor is about as hot as you can go without triggering it's thermal shutdown.

Any particular reason why you have to go with a brushed motor? The TBLE-02 will go all the way down to 10 turns brushless. I find my TT-02B flies along on a 13.5t, and I haven't even had to go LiPo - I still run NiMH.

I don't think Tamiya want to acknowledge the existence of cans with less than 25 turns! 

Go LiFe Dave, a 3s pack will certainly pep things up!

I was trying to stick with brushed as brushless usually means LiPos and I'm trying to avoid LiPos in this, but if I can run a brushless can on NiHm with no issues then it's all good, I'll quite happily stick a brushless Tamiya in it.

A lot of brushless ESCs demand LiPo or else they brown out or shut down due to the lower current available from NiMH, but the TBLE-02 is rather more forgiving than most in this regard, and will happily run on NiMH in both brushed and brushless modes.

Edited by XV Pilot

2 minutes ago, TMaxxDave said:

1272b26805b755a22089f03c82f25025.jpg

5151a7e9eed6331d1c7353c9f032f83c.jpg

8b0d4696c21b80f88a047a8f57a3bdf8.jpg

74ca7b03645dfd30cdac5900a7f8b05d.jpg

6e6a329217f603dc0cac8ea457366336.jpg

629f249413f255b29364cce7ff29acfb.jpg

27aa5b4c876a4bd06294602c71dc50a9.jpg

d3706875fa87740e94553e17edeaa7e9.jpg

782d29c2f0a2f0956508d3298ea2ff57.jpg

7feb05250bebd4edbb7f3f9ac7b7c834.jpg

bf1fd5626c4e98b542b29360e5553a7d.jpg

20049990f07e7108028f8cec282679a8.jpg

cc44ca16b9cf55c43e9138c30ec8ac52.jpg

1ea5754ca7e340b648ea4241831bfc5c.jpg

e3fe32a02ec818f22bf2bd58d5e2bf9c.jpg

4a83c549e4e7ae7a493e2e539497218c.jpg

I'm no fan of shelfers but that is too nice to run!

I'm no fan of shelfers but that is too nice to run!

Thats why ive got a 2nd body and some more wheels on the way. So i can these for the shelf. I may even have to get a 2nd set of shocks to keep them white

3 minutes ago, TMaxxDave said:

Thats why ive got a 2nd body and some more wheels on the way. So i can these for the shelf. I may even have to get a 2nd set of shocks to keep them white

I think spare shocks are a must. Those white ones are going to look second hand in no time, doubly so under that pink shell.