• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Complete Newbie?

Buzzon

Hi guys have just joined up so firstly hello!

I'm interested in purchasing an rc electric bike and was wondering could you tell me in your experience which model provides the best stability and ease of control? I have recently had surgery on my back so was hoping to get a model which doesn't constantly require picking up after a tumble etc. Also can any of the bikes start from a standstill or do they require the user to steady the bike before takeoff?? Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably easiest for entry level is the Anderson M5.

I picked up one a while back. I have converted it to brushless as it wasn't quick enough for me ... and added a wheelie bar as it was quite prone to lifting the front now ..... For the money...it's decent quality and has been reliable.

The ARX is a better machine...but pricier.

Now...as far as starting goes, these use a powered gyro which keeps the bike upright and allows you just to give it a push and off you go. If you have the side loops fitted...you can start from a standstill...but only if your gyro is spinning properly and you have some rear wheel grip. There are 2 types of gyro.

1) Mechanical. Uses a geared system powered by the spinning of the bikes rear wheel. A couple of internal gears transfer rotation to a spinning weight. You need to rev it up, but that's no bother. There is a one-way bearing to allow the gyro to keep spinning when the rear wheel isn't. Works OK, but it's a bit crude and isn;t directly related to how fast you are going. It's advantage is cheapness. The Anderson uses a mechanical gyro....and the entry level ARX does too.

2) Electric. This uses a seperate motor and speed controller housed in the rear wheel. This is obviously a better option as there is no 'spool up' and you can also have some degree of control over the amount of gyro effect. It puts the cost up, as it's more complex to build...but it works better. You can add this to your ARX package, but itadds around £100.

Of course....you can run without a gyro....I used to have an old Kyosho onroad bike that just used a weight in the front wheel, but the gyro means the bike stays on it's wheels and can easily be got running if you stop without a need to go pick it up. A good gyro looks better running than a poor one, as you get less flopping around, and it looks more like a real bike.

Thanks so far for all the great advice! I was considering going for the sr 4 or 5 as I live in Northern Ireland it looks to have a great spares back up and also gets great reviews, would this bike meet my needs etc??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk