• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Lipo charging

SamUk

Sorry, sure this has been asked many times...

Just needed a quick answer..as I'm charging..

My 2s batteries are storage charged..and I need to charge them up..finding conflicting info about charge methods...

Should I always balance charge? Or just a normal or fast charge with balance charge after 5 normal charges?

Can I charge at 7a?

Charger is a overlander rc6 vsp charger

Batteries 2 cell, 5000 - 5600 mah.

Thanks

Sam

I was not doing a balance charge..so can't get individual cell volts.

Noticed it gets to 8.4v, then the charge drops from 5a to 0.3a and just stays there for ages...? Is this normal? Can I remove and use?

Am i okay to assume I can charge at 7a as my charger allows it..but its just not good for the battery?

Also what is fast charge?

Charging at 7a is ok for the occasional charge (I mean occasional) I certainly wouldn't do it regularly, get in the habbit of charging the night before even if its raining the next day and you cant go out they will be fine for a couple of weeks or more, some people will disagree with this all I can say is ive done this, some of my Lipo's are 3 tears old and are fine. As has been said charge yours at 5.6a for the 5000 and 5.6 for the 5600, I also balance charge mine every time this is more habit that a necessity balance charging does take slightly longer depending how out of balance your lipo's are you could normal charge and just do a balance charge every 5 cycles or so. What ever your running your Lipo's in make sure the ESC is set for Lipo and LVC is set, get your self a battery checker I try never to take mine below 20% if that means getting another Lipo to be able to stay out and play so be it they will last for years.

Edited by Fontie

Lipo chargers are CC/CV, this means they charge at "Constant Current" first, then switch to "Constant Voltage" as the cells near full capacity. This is why you're seeing the charge rate change, it's slowing down towards the end. 

Yes, it's safe to use now. 

Always balance charge, it's lazy and bad practice not to. 

• Like 1