• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Associated b5m setup and tyre issues

Matt1986

After completing my build took it out for a blast on the road , the surface is moist and I am using Schumacher yellow mini spike 2's and after setting all the tie rods to the exact standard length using a vernier I find the car does track one way or the other in a straight line . Got it a little better by small adjustments on the trim . 

But its slipping and skidding on the Tarmac. What's the best tyres to use on Tarmac ? Dry and wet ? 

And what measuments do you guys surgest to set the tow in and camber able to ? 

Thanks 

33A54F59-F607-42A5-A40B-044C55C89A7D_zps

Personally I'd use worn yellow minispikes on tarmac, not because they are good for it but because they are quite soft, don't last long when racing and you'll end up with loads of them!

The forwards motor design of the B5m and other modern 2wd's is good for high grip stuff like carpet or astroturf but they do have reduced rear end grip compared to traditional rear motors so will skid and slide more on more slippery surfaces.

However I would also say I'm not sure about your front tyres - I'd have fitted yellow cut staggers instead.

Camber should be about 1 degree both ends. Toe in is a preference thing - top drivers run little or no toe-in but club racers normally find a degree or two helps with stability in a straight line.

You say you have sorted the camber and toe in but a general comment is that the initial turnbuckle lengths are only a rough guide, you should always fine tune on the car using a camber gauge and for the toe in I prefer straight ahead or no toe-in. This can be set by getting a ruler or straight piece of wood and holding it against the side of the rear and front wheels allowing you to see the angle of toe-in and adjust accordingly. Also, when making suspension settings don't forget to measure with the batteries installed and drop the car from 6-10 inches to allow it to settle on the suspension. Set the ride height first and then the camber and toe in.

Tyres you can get slicks which are fun in the dry but for more all round use I would get Proline Racing Road Rage street tyres or something similar.

• Like 1

Measured camber with a gauge and its -1 . Toe in is straight ahead , May tweek it ... What measurement of toe in ? As know as a rough guide when setting full size cars used to be the back measures 3mm more than the front so 1.5mm each side . 

I have found some proline dirt hawgs that should do well , ordered and going to see what are like 

Rear wheels normally do have a little toe in as it helps under power. It can be adjusted by changing the suspension mounting blocks but the kit setup is what most people run.

9 hours ago, Matt1986 said:

Cutting42 my rear wheels are also towing in as well you can adjust the camber but not the toe in . 

Matt

As Si Coe said, you need toe in on the rears, usually around 3 degrees and it is set by the hinge pin blocks but is best left factory for now.

On 8.1.2016 at 7:27 AM, Matt1986 said:

Yes toe in is set by the standard setting. May just be a carpark basher for a while until weather gets warmer . Got a 9.5t motor in there , may have to change that ! 

Why are you thinking of changing the motor?