• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Self build info

Tim.

Hi

I'm pretty new to RC'ing but know I would probably derive as much pleasure from building as actually driving.

The trouble is I know nothing about how to go about building a crawler from the ground up. I do know I want to build a crawler and I do know I want it to be a Unimog.

My question is this;

How do you go about learning from such a knowledge level as mine?

thanks in advance.

Easiest way. buy a tamiya unimog cc01 kit. 

Best way. Buy an axial scx10 dingo kit + unimog body. 

Possibly cheapest way. Buy rtr maverick scout + unimog body.

The axial route would end up being the best rc with endless options to take it further down the line, 6x6 or making it a totally trick scale beast. 

Building peice by peice would end up costing more and harder to build. 

Maverick scouts get mixed reviews ther cheap but have alot of mods available to make them better and if desired a scaler chassis conversion to be more like the scx10. 

Electronics can be brought cheap for a starter pack I fitted the cheapest stuff to my daughters one. 

Hobbywing 1060wp esc brushed £16 

Hpi Saturn 35t brushed motor £7 

Metal geared servo 12kg off ebay £5 

Nihm hpi 3800mah £25 (lipos can be cheaper tho) 

Flysky gt2b radio £21 ( has 3 channels plus rechargeable battery) 3rd channel for light control or winch) 

Thanks for the reply and putting up with my naive question.

The reason I wanted to buy piece by piece/ground up was so I'd be doing it right first time rather than buying a kit, then upgrading, however, very quick reading on here and other forums concluded with pretty much what you just suggested. By a kit and upgrade.  Even more so with my zero experience and knowledge.

I think I got carried away with a video I watched earlier of an rc Unimog with what looked like all alloy running gear.

thanks again

I bet most of us think about a nuts and bolts build at some point usually very early on in the hobby, I know I did but was quickly put off by costs vs buying kits or rtr.

Buying rtr you can sell off all the unwanted stuff new and get back a good chunk of the money towards the upgrades.  I perferred to do this than buy rollers or kits.

You can buy all alloy axles but they can be very expensive like £60 each axle for the cheap ones I think. That's how much some pink ones are that I looked at anyway.

There's some others made for a clone rc on banggood they are £20 an axle I think. But would Surley be crap and probably not suit an axial.  I would link but unable on my phone. 

If you go on banggood then search out their axial scx10 clone in its option parts list the metal axles should pop up. I wouldn't buy them myself because there's no info around user reviews ect. 

The £20 metal axle is called.

HG P401/P402/P601 1/10 RC Car Metal Rear Gearbox Assembly HG-BX03

Let more experienced builders give their opinion on it. It'd be cool if it fits the scx10 and durable lol but for £20 it's doubtful. 

Also a firm believer in you pay for what you get lol

this is what I saw that got me all excited

1CE69B07-C6FD-4DF5-96C2-C2B14EFCA413_zps

E8336585-4479-483E-8626-C77F6B9BC698_zps

That's a beast but Integy is a brand who gets no respect from most people. Over priced cheese is they're nick name or along those lines lol. 

Vanquish are the top dog with stupid prices if they do an alloy axle I bet it's around £200+ for both. But will be slick almost real looking. 

That does look like an axial scx10 tho. So buying a dingo kit and upgrading is a viable option. 

Something that keeps cropping up in my searches is that it might be difficult to get a unimog body to fit the axial chassis. Is this true?

Edited by Tim.

Hi Tim, I'll just jump in with a few tips here if you don't mind,

the unimog in the pics is a blinded up Tamiya cr01 unimog, (tamiya special attempt at a rock crawler)

a scx10 could be tricky to get to the right wheelbase but...... Nothing is impossible.

also don't be fooled by the whole vanquish tosh, I have run many axial rigs for many years running various hop ups and to be honest there is not a load of difference between them apart from finish, but your not going to be looking at the underside when out on the trail.

ask johninderby about a unimog shell that fits the axial scx10 perfectly.

personally I would go with a dingo kit, build it, enjoy it and convert to a mpg over time, at least then you will get use out of it as you mod it.

if there's anything else I can help with, please feel free to shoot me a pm, been doing this for years so more than willing to help :good:

• Like 1

Thanks gaz, appreciate the info and offer of help, I'm sure you'll be hearing from me.

As you're local, and by the sound of it so is johninderby, is there somewhere nearby you guys shop/pick up parts or is it all online?

Ok johninderby might be my new best friend (lucky John)

this is almost perfect and exactly what I'm after (not yellow though :D )Unimog-1_zps0fcc6ec1.jpg

Edited by Tim.

Gaz did you look at those £20 metal axles, what do you think of them? Quality and scx10 fitment. 

I only said about vanquish vs cheap cos that's the general idea. But I'm always happy to buy the cheaper ( but known) options. Hot racing is usually my first choice.. 

I brought some £5 alloy steering blocks for my daughters scx they seem great and fit perfectly. I would buy more cheap alloy parts but I've been holding out for pink or purple to crop up. 

Gmp preferred. 

Edited by RCbutcher

I think the axles your referring to are those on the 4x4 and 6x6 what gear best sell, hg901 something or other.

but in fairness, gpm, hot racing, strc, 3 racing, boom racing and topcad stuff is great for the money.

only thing axial I do recommend though is cvd's, been using them for some years now with very little wear.....

• Like 1

So as the dingo kit wings it way towards me I'm sure you can predict my next questions.

motor

esc

servo

receiver

battery

transmitter

:lol:

then will come the hop up questions (just to pre warn you)

Is there a reason there appears to be very few brushless 'crawler' specific motors.

Also esc's, they seem to have gotten extremely complex in my 15yr absence from rc cars!!! Programmable cards dependent on application!!!!

Personally Tim, I would stick with a brushed set-up.

yes on faster rc the difference between brushed and brushless is like night and day, whereas with crawlers and scalers the difference is so small but for more cost.......

esc, hobbywing 1060 (waterproof)

motor, 35-45t would be a good compromise of speed and torque.

servo, something 10kg upwards and waterproof if you so wish (I never bothered though and mine are fine) also metal geared.

rx/tx very personal choice but if you decide on winch or lights, 3/4 channel radio and one of those channels needs to be a 3 position switch for the winch.

battery, well 2s lipo all the way, a 5000mah brick lasts my lad well over 2 hours in his crawler..... Maybe longer depending on terrain and throttle positions.

Thanks Gaz, I'm doing a lot of reading, perhaps I should continue reading that bit more before posting things as I come across them -_-

i am quite keen for my crawler to be slow, perhaps that goes against the grain of the majority of crawler threads I've been reading so a high torque motor is appealing. Perhaps I don't fully appreciate the requirement for 'wheel speed' just yet?

Yeah wheel speed is good for some obstacles as much as the torque, so as I say 35-45t 35 giving more speed over torque and 45 vice versa.

thing is as I guess with any rc, it's all very personal with set-ups, it's more down to how your happy with it rather than what someone else says.

i can dial any crawler into my setting now and I'm the weakest part of it not the truck, but what suits me might not suit anyone else.

all we can do is give you a baseline to follow and leave you to do the tweaks :good:

but I can help you through it all if you need any help.

3 minutes ago, big gaz said:

all we can do is give you a baseline to follow and leave you to do the tweaks :good:

but I can help you through it all if you need any help

Fully appreciate this and it's exactly what I need, I do want it to be mine and not just a copy of an already well beaten path (to an extent)

I am getting to grips with the more major componentry but I am going to ask some pretty basic questions when I get round to the build such as how do you actually strap your motor down, pinion gears - size and their effect etc etc. I'll search before I ask though ;)

As another Tim with a weakness for Unimogs ;) I thought I'd point out that Tamiya made both a CR-01 Unimog kit (you specified "crawler" in your original post) and a CC-01 one (as shown in John's pic).  Very different.  Plus a CW-01 Wheelie one too.  And both 406 and 425 bodies.

Looks like you're going down a different path anyway, I look forward to seeing what you come up with.