• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Associated b44.3

Matt1986

Depends how experienced you are. If you are a beginner it will be great and a very good power level as you learn to drive and race. Most people will run a 6.5 or faster when racing a 4WD and the 60A ESC is not enough power for that, you would need a 120A ESC really for a fast motor.

Hobbywing stuff is cool and great value, I started with a Hobbywing Extreme Stock 60A and a 10.5 motor and it took me 2 years learning top drive before I could handle a faster motor. 

Yes for a beginner it is a great place to start. Faster speedos are quite a bit more so save your money while you learn. Once you get quick you will know more about what is out there and see what other racers are using. 

I'm not sure I'd agree. I really like that motor/Esc combo, one of my all time favs in fact - for a light 2wd basher.

The finned motors aren't full 540 sized internally (more like 380) which means they get really impressive RPM's but very limited torque. This is ideal for a 2wd, but means the motor struggles with a heavier 4wd drivetrain. When I tried mine in a 4wd it used to get very hot showing it was working too hard.

In addition its a sensorless system. Thats good for bashing (simpler and more robust) but racers almost exclusively use sensored systems. That is because they are smoother and more controllable especially at low speeds (say a tight corner).

That would make something like this or this more suitable, or for a little more this  or this. I've linked the 10.5T versions of each as they would be of similar performance to the finned 9T in a 4wd car, but most have 8.5T options too. On many you can run timing boost ('turbo') which increases power only on the straights. I've run a 4wd with a boosted 10.5t on a smallish track and it works really well, smooth and controllable on the infield but with enough performance to hang with the 8.5t's on the short main straight. Its only when I tried running somewhere bigger it became a problem.

That one has the most room for future upgrading and will basically run any motor you will actually want to use in an offroad buggy. Even the pros don't use anything below 5.5t, most good club racers run 6.5t or 7.5t these days. So if you do find you are a little slow once you've got the hang of things you can upgrade the motor without having to get a new esc.