• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Overlander RC6-VSP storage charge didn't stop.

mism

My Overlander RC6-VSP doesn't seem to be stopping at the correct storage voltage.

I set it to storage charge my 2s 5000mAh LiPo earlier today. On the setup screen you can specify Amps (but only up to 1A which I think is to do with how much is can discharge) and specify voltage, 7.4V 2s. The balance lead was connected.

Initially the cells were on 3.7v each as the battery hadn't been discharged to the limit. The charger is meant to charge or discharge to 3.85v for storage. It got to 3.9v at which point I turned it off.

Am I missing something or do we reckon it's faulty?

Edit: tried the discharge mode, it didn't stop at 3.85v. That said I can't find anywhere that it says that it will.

Edited by mism

It's not so much that 3.9v is a problem it's that the charger didn't stop and I'm concerned that it wouldn't have stopped.

I contacted Modelsport this morning (and they got back to me straight away, on a bank holiday) and they said:

You often find the voltage displayed by the charger whilst charging even at a low current will exceed the the desired voltage the to the charger allowing for the battery voltage changing as it is under load. 
For example lots of charger will read 4.3-4.5 volts per cell on a fully charged LiPo battery as the charge cycle comes to an end but once the pack is allowed to rest once disconnected from the charger the voltage will measure 4.2 volts per cell as there is no charge load across the battery. Likewise the same can be said for batteries being discharged but in the inverted sense of a battery increasing in voltage once load has been removed. 

That seems to make sense so I'll give it another go and monitor it until 4.20v.

Although I put my charger onto storage I always end it manually, did you notice the amps at which it was charging? I think it lowers right down before turning it's self off.