• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

1:1 Motorbikers

HYPER-BOY

1 minute ago, HYPER-BOY said:

I had a GSX-R600 as my first bike when I passed my test in 2011.  It was brand new as well, L0 I think the model was.  Just a rev happy warp machine, too cramped and hunched for me and also pretty crap down low in the rev range so I sold it.  The 750 I also had a go on and it's a different animal, faster and sharper but just more of the same really.  I then got a 2005 VFR800 Vtec, much much better.  Easier to ride, good low down torque and comfortable, still plenty fast and would recommend that over gixxer all day long.  I kept that for over 5 years and sold it 2 weeks ago.  I also did a European tour on the VFR and was epic.  @Oh How Original

A few people have recommended that too, so it was definitely on the list of potential bikes to try.

I'm fairly friendly with the local bike dealer and he does bike hire and loans them out etc... So when I have my licence, I am going to ask him about testing maybe 4 or 5 of what he has in stock at the time and if I find something I mesh with, I'll buy it.

I have to remember too that once I am on a big bike, we'll be hitting more open roads, so the super tight slow stuff we do now, because of my bike, won't be a factor.

Like for about 15 miles today we didn't get over 20mph, it was twisty, tight single track covered in gravel and sheep crap :lol: 

I need to keep that in mind.

I had a sit on an 1100 Blackbird, which felt very 'me' and insurance is under 400quid for a year as well, it's crazy!

Appreciate your opinion, as you've ridden both to compare as well.

@Oh How Original Yeah the Blackbird is a lovely big bike, comfy and unbelievably fast.  Trouble is with them sort of bikes they don't give you much in the way of flexibility if things get hairy, they just spit you out!   Defo try several bikes, do a mixed ride over a good few miles and see how you get on.  Supersports are ok but with gixxer I was so far forward over the tank and it made my wrists ache.  Now a 2003 Fireblade I tested felt pretty good so it's one of them.  Just don't rush it, I did and got the wrong 1st big bike.  For reference though I'm 6ft and 13st.

Edited by HYPER-BOY

9 minutes ago, HYPER-BOY said:

@Oh How Original Yeah the Blackbird is a lovely big bike, comfy and unbelievably fast.  Trouble is with them sort of bikes they don't give you much in the way of flexibility if things get hairy, they just spit you out!   Defo try several bikes, do a mixed ride over a good few miles and see how you get on.  Supersports are ok but with gixxer I was so far forward over the tank and it made my wrists ache.  Now a 2003 Fireblade I tested felt pretty good so it's one of them.  Just don't rush it, I did and got the wrong 1st big bike.  For reference though I'm 6ft and 13st.

I'm 5 10 and 15 1/2st, so I'm a bit dumpy lol.

The Blackbird did feel nice though, to be honest, I won't be a slow Sunday rider, but I won't be redlining it in every gear like some yobbos.

I just want something that I can jump on the motorway with if I want to, but also take for a blast round the back roads and also go to the bike nights on as well.

There was even a really minty mint 1200 Bandit for sale locally for a good price, if I had my licence now I would have definitely gone to look at it with cash in my pocket.

I like my old mans Bandit, I've got a reasonable idea of how they ride, albeit his is the 600, so it's just like his but about 30bhp more, which would suit my size more.

Must admit, I do like a nice 'blade as well, so much bloody choice! :lol: 

Getting a shed load of work done on my dtr 125 it’s been in and passed it’s mot so I’ve been doing little tarty bits to it getting it ready to ride 57c8a28a08716b0afeeff3a7c3f433c3.jpg7da3b67680519be4fb608be21fc70b47.jpg00cd30a4b6c0dcb49470f0ba21e73eff.jpgb7956395c31f1771fbdfb57ee434cb6b.jpg currently getting a slight hole in tank done then a nice respray,I’ll then get it all back together get some decals and she’s road ready :) wish me luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Wirralnitronoob said:

Getting a shed load of work done on my dtr 125 it’s been in and passed it’s mot so I’ve been doing little tarty bits to it getting it ready to ride 57c8a28a08716b0afeeff3a7c3f433c3.jpg7da3b67680519be4fb608be21fc70b47.jpg00cd30a4b6c0dcb49470f0ba21e73eff.jpgb7956395c31f1771fbdfb57ee434cb6b.jpg currently getting a slight hole in tank done then a nice respray,I’ll then get it all back together get some decals and she’s road ready :) wish me luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm thinking about getting something like this when I pass my test for hitting some local trails on.

Something cheap and cheerful I don't mind dropping and scratching up a bit.

Nice to see bikes out and about...

Was out camping in Wales last month...my bike is on the far left...

IMG_6019.JPG

The Diavel is a cracking bit of kit, I succumbed to one earlier this year...162bhp, 0-60 in 2.6 seconds courtesy of the torque, fat tyre and long wheelbase making it one of the fastest accelerating bikes!

D6FCFFEA-E41A-4171-ADEA-74780B16DB3D.png

• Thanks 1

On 16/06/2018 at 22:12, Oh How Original said:

That looks like it would be a huge amount of fun off roading!

It is great off road but its really tall so you have to be careful when putting foot down.  I'm 5"11 and I am on my tippy toes on level ground only.

3 hours ago, cyronn said:

It is great off road but its really tall so you have to be careful when putting foot down.  I'm 5"11 and I am on my tippy toes on level ground only.

Yeah I'd imagine it does better on rough, but fairly open ground where you can keep a bit of speed up and not have to worry about a foot down too much.

I rode a supermoto and I could only just touch the ground with one foot, I definitely couldn't own something like that.

There's a DR200 in my local bike dealers, which I'm going to test ride when I pass my test, if the bikes still there.

It'll be for very occasional use on some of the lanes and dirt roads we have round here, which are plenty.

Having passed my test today, then hit the bike night, I thought I'd share a couple of photos.

As the KTM dealership is right next to the riding school I thought it'd be rude not to have a look in.

Ended up test riding a 790 Duke which was pretty awesome, but I don't really want a brand new bike, nice to know what it goes like though.

On the way back from the test centre :D 

20180625_135502

790 chillin'!

20180625_150312

20180625_150339

Bike night, there was probably about 70 there in all, it goes round the corner you see and down a good few hundred yards.

I'll have to get some better pictures when we next go.

20180625_194223

IMG-20180625-WA0021

IMG-20180625-WA0020

IMG-20180625-WA0019

IMG-20180625-WA0018

IMG-20180625-WA0017

IMG-20180625-WA0016

20180625_200021

20180625_200319

• Thanks 1

Cheers buddy.

Well, an update of sorts from me, I've found some stuff I like and stuff I don't, I've completely eliminated super sports as a possibility, my two real remaining bike styles are sports tourer or full naked/super naked.

I've tried so far obviously my old mans 600 Bandit, I just finished a test ride today on a 2010 650 Bandit S, also rode a Triumph Speed Triple earlier (didn't like that at all, nothing like the Street Triple) plus the Street Triple as well as the KTM 790 Duke.

There's two more bikes that in an ideal world, I'd get a test ride on, that's an older Fazer (if I decide to go the cheaper route just to get some experience) and also the 690 Duke.

I'd like a decent hour or so test ride on a Street Triple as well, the test ride I did was quite short and around a town with one blip up a short dual carriageway, it was 10-15mph and stop start traffic all through town and it was in 31C heat so I couldn't really enjoy anything about the bike.

That's it so far, I've been to 7 dealers so far and 4 of them put me off big time by being way too pushy and because I'm "new" on my licence, think they know what's right and wrong for me based on there own stock!

Another dealer is just too high in price (about 1200quid more than private on the Street Triple and about 700quid vs private sale)

We had planned a good 250-300 mile ride on Saturday, but it's unlikely I'll be doing it, as my YBR has some interest now as well so it might be sold soon and I am honestly struggling to find the right bike at the right price in the right location.

1 minute ago, cyronn said:

Welll looks like a side picture of the tank.  So probable the Fazer

Not the tank, that's above the rear light... But you're right.

They weren't majorly on my radar, but one popped up quite local, it was originally on eBay, I sent him a message but he wanted to let it run, so instead of going back and forward to view etc... I asked him if nobody bids, would he let me see it before relisting, he said yes, it ended with no bids, I saw, I rode, it felt like mine absolutely immediately, I went back and paid him then just rode it back about 35 miles home.

£115 to insure for the year, so I now have my bike, with a full years insurance and once my YBR is sold, which it's going on Saturday to a nice young lass who's just done her CBT, I'll still have a big chunk of my budget let over :) 

I love older bikes, they feel more raw and I like that, it also means I've got enough funds to look for a nice little trail bike too and the insurance being absolutely peanuts (3x less than the YBR) means insuring both will probably be about the same as the YBR.

Currently hunting eBay for a belly pan :D 

42148927345_7c7c16b3d7_b.jpg

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, cyronn said:

Nice bud, but going from that old Yamaha font.  It was only going to be a Fazer,  since you ruled out most options already.

The real 'tell' is that to my knowledge (which I'm no expert) Yamaha only made this colour combo on the Fazer as well.

That's just from my memory though, so I could be wrong.