• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

1:1 Motorbikers

HYPER-BOY

I looked at them but heard there a pig to work on as the v4 and everything is all jammed in tight.....not if that applys to all years.....so I didn't bother in the end and got me v strom...

They aren't too bad to work on, I have managed to do and fix a bit myself..  One job I wouldn't like to do is the valve clearance.

Valve clearances ... or anything to do with the exhaust.....I took one look at one and decided it wa snot for me :)

That's why I love the layout of my Hornet. Everything is easy to get at. Battery comes out without major stripdown ( unlike the MT03 ) , filters and drainplug are easy, centrestand for easy chain adjustments. Just easy to live with.

Essential for a daily use machine.

On the subject of CB1300s and GSX1400s......The CB is a lump. The GSX not so bad, but every GSX I looked at which had seen any real use through all weathers was rotted. Paint and chrome was very poor.

I nearly bought a 998 engines monster ( S4R ) but the racket from the dry clutch was something I just could not live with in London traffic. If I own a Ducati....it will have to have a wet clutch, which is pretty limiting in terms of choice :)

I have to say that Aprilias are great to work on, V-twin engines (except the newer V4 engines) with bags of character (wet clutch), pretty easy to work on but poor fuel consumption so not the best commuter material.

Valve clearances ... or anything to do with the exhaust.....I took one look at one and decided it wa snot for me :)

That's why I love the layout of my Hornet. Everything is easy to get at. Battery comes out without major stripdown ( unlike the MT03 ) , filters and drainplug are easy, centrestand for easy chain adjustments. Just easy to live with.

Essential for a daily use machine.

On the subject of CB1300s and GSX1400s......The CB is a lump. The GSX not so bad, but every GSX I looked at which had seen any real use through all weathers was rotted. Paint and chrome was very poor.

I nearly bought a 998 engines monster ( S4R ) but the racket from the dry clutch was something I just could not live with in London traffic. If I own a Ducati....it will have to have a wet clutch, which is pretty limiting in terms of choice :)

Changing the plugs on the Viffer was a bit of a faff due to the V4 layout - like you say the valves for me are a no no, I just CBA!

Everything else is easy enough, as said it has a centre stand too and adjustable rear shock.

Mine has ABS, dual braking, Scottoiler and heated grips.  The dual braking I actually really like, you can more or less use back brake only as it applies front too, same on the front to the back.  The ABS works well.

It really is an everyday bike in the main.

I remember seeing a CB1300 and thinking that is one massive engine! - They do look cool though, although as per most bikes the standard cans are mahhooooosive.

As for the Duc's, agreed the clutch can sound like a tin of gravel lol, horrendous noise, but I like it as it's different, living with it day to day may be a different matter but I commute in my car mainly.

Yeah me bird got the cbs braking system on it...I quite like it now...well I've done almost 40000... on it...sum De - link them....but if mr honda designed it that way then it must b ok...agree couldn't put up with that rattle all day everyday whilst on it....as nice as they r I thk thee more a wk end toy bike imo....I wouldn't thk u could do serious miles on a duc.....

Edited by evssv

Yeah me bird got the cbs braking system on it...I quite like it now...well I've done almost 40000... on it...sum De - link them....but if mr honda designed it that way then it must b ok...agree couldn't put up with that rattle all day everyday whilst on it....as nice as they r I thk thee more a wk end toy bike imo....I wouldn't thk u could do serious miles on a duc.....

How do you find the Bird for distance work?

Had a Guzzi with linked brakes...and I loved it. Had to remember to tell the MOT tester though, as it confused the first one!

I do all my own servicing...and I don't have a garage.....so I'm getting picky in my old age. Loved my SV1000....but hated the weekend of work required for a basic service. So many parts to take off to change the damn plugs!

Ducati are better than they used to be at making bikes that can run in the wet. Italian electrics used to be awful...but they are not so bad now. I still cringe if I see Magnetti Marelli written on anything! I could live with a 90s 900SS for sunday use, but I couldn't face it every day. 6am in the middle of winter with sleet falling and the roads covered in salt....you know it's not going to start!

How do you find the Bird for distance work?

awesome! !....I regularly see 196 miles to the reserve light coming on....and have had 242 miles from a full tank..22ltrs....ridened sensibly...and still made it to the garage nx morning....its happy plodding along or warp factor 10.....first proper honda I've had. ..handles sweet for a big bike....gota onlins shox on the rear . .no doubt that helps massively. ..not sure if the fr springs have been done..but it's not got as much sag as normal for a bike if it's age so could well have been done Edited by evssv

well lets hope it do tben I got me last sv ride out tomorrow...We do 2 a year.. April n September. ..We start at Taunton. ..down to Minehead. ..out over Porlock. ...stop for diner sum where ..then on to Barnstaple ....then back to Taunton. ..a good 260+miles for me from and back to Bristol ...sum travel down from way up north an stay in b'n'b ect....We normally have around 10-15+ bikes turn up....I only go if it's dry.....don't ride the sv in the wet

Edited by evssv

well lets hope it do tben I got me last sv ride out tomorrow...We do 2 a year.. April n September. ..We start at Taunton. ..down to Minehead. ..out over Porlock. ...stop for diner sum where ..then on to Barnstaple ....then back to Taunton. ..a good 260+miles for me from and back to Bristol ...sum travel down from way up north an stay in b'n'b ect....We normally have around 10-15+ bikes turn up....I only go if it's dry.....don't ride the sv in the wet

Very nice sounds like a good run that!

Well it was wet this morning as it pee'd down most of last night so I didn't go...plus it windy as out there now...Ho well...bikes going on sorn at end of month until nx April. .but this means I can now get me bandit bak and get it mot'd taxed and use it...I'm not to fussed if it gets wet...but try to ride it in dry weather...can b a hand full in the wet...plus the stage 3 jet kit drinks more then Paul Gascoigne!!!....I've hit reserve in 88 miles from a full tank!..but that's looning around...I can see 130+ish on a sensible run......but it jus beggs u to twist it!!....

I've had my 636 just a little over 2 weeks, man that bike with like under 14k miles for an 03 is good.  I've already lined up a all the parts and extra for the winter service.  I took my KTM out after work today for a quick smash, not used it since I got my 636.  It's an animal with factory pro jet kit 3 and ITG air filter with custom base. Love my KTM, I do have the street version with KTM. Smaller street tyres the, standard is 21 18 for the KTM 950 and I have another set 19 17 for the street totally transforms for the street. 

Not everyone knows u dont need a street bike to go fast round corners, anyways I love my 636 :)

I don't really have any 1:1 toys at the moment but loved my bandit 600 that I rode round on for a couple of years, 

my toys were, 

Suzuki bandit 600

Yamaha ty125

Yamaha th 250 twinshock

Yamaha ty250 pinkie 

montessa Cota 315

gasgas 280 pro

more if an offroader than an on road to be honnest, but I'd love another road bike again...

Well I have had my little 125cc starter bike for a week now.....put around 160 miles on it and I am really enjoying it....although I now want something bigger!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would just use that for a good year or so hen make the move to something bigger!