• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

two questions about my engine

B4D TEMP3R 303

my engine is pro18bx and I'm just wondering is it meant to have a gap between the cooling head and crankcase here's a pic https://gyazo.com/9d3df4c6d1e559bd277cd1a0ace9fd52  

and another question when you take an exhaust manifold off the engine do you have to replace the gasket with new fresh one when you put it back on ?

you can see the gap just fine in that pic and I did try getting a clearer one 

and yh it runs fine but it does spit a bit of fuel/oil from some where around the engine so I thought maybe that gap is too big or maybe the manifold needed a new gasket or something 

the manifold does have a lot of burnt brown stuff on it from where oil gets on it other than that its in good con

If it's spitting fuel from under the head, you could try fitting an extra shim......Also, make sure the head is screwed tight down.

well I don't actually know if it is spiting fuel from there hence why I asked if the gap is too big coz then it might be and yh it is tight as can be never taken it off its been like that from factory 

Some engines have the liner/sleeve totally recessed in the block...and some do not.

If the liner/sleeve is not totally recessed then you may see a gap between the casing and the head.

One important thing is that on most engines there is a cutout in the top edge of the sleeve/liner that should be lined up with a peg/notch in the casing...so if that is not lined up correctly then the sleeve/liner will not sit down in the casing properly......but if you have not had it apart then I doubt that to be the case.

If fuel is leaking from somewhere then you do need to find where it is coming from....I suggest cleaning it all up thoroughly and then start it and see where the leak is....

Just double checking here- You say exhaust gasket....am I right in thinking that your engine has a round exhaust port with a rubber seal? I ask because the side exhaust engines with the oblong exhaust ports use gaskets and I would recommend to replace them when remove/refit as they crush (alternative is to use sealant)....but the rubber seal on round ports can be used until they are torn/hardened/leaking/etc.

Some engines have the liner/sleeve totally recessed in the block...and some do not.

If the liner/sleeve is not totally recessed then you may see a gap between the casing and the head.

One important thing is that on most engines there is a cutout in the top edge of the sleeve/liner that should be lined up with a peg/notch in the casing...so if that is not lined up correctly then the sleeve/liner will not sit down in the casing properly......but if you have not had it apart then I doubt that to be the case.

If fuel is leaking from somewhere then you do need to find where it is coming from....I suggest cleaning it all up thoroughly and then start it and see where the leak is....

Just double checking here- You say exhaust gasket....am I right in thinking that your engine has a round exhaust port with a rubber seal? I ask because the side exhaust engines with the oblong exhaust ports use gaskets and I would recommend to replace them when remove/refit as they crush (alternative is to use sealant)....but the rubber seal on round ports can be used until they are torn/hardened/leaking/etc.

ok thanks helped a lot and yes it is a side exhaust 

Yes, I see now...there are two versions of the TT Pro.18BX...one with a side and one with rear exhaust.

As you have the side exhaust then I would recommend to replace the gasket...and/or use sealant...in my experience with side exhaust engines (only experience with small ones) making the manifold seal properly is often a PITA...

Yes, I see now...there are two versions of the TT Pro.18BX...one with a side and one with rear exhaust.

As you have the side exhaust then I would recommend to replace the gasket...and/or use sealant...in my experience with side exhaust engines (only experience with small ones) making the manifold seal properly is often a PITA...

ok thanks will do