• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and shareย all things R/C!

LiPo, the big guide thread *updated March '10* *

Garry

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, mugen mad said:

So one of my lipos has failed on 1 cell its reading 1.4v has been stored for a while now is there a way I can bring it back or not as the other cell is still reading 3.8

Technically yes, but I really wouldn't advise doing it. Best to just write it off as a bad lipo and dispose of it correctly.

That's correct. What voltage are the cells at now? I'd keep a close eye on it if you choose to use it, there's a good chance that the cell that dropped low will be massively out of balance.

Don't get me wrong, I've used the NIMH truck myself a few times but I'm aware of the risks and accepted that it might end badly.

• 2 months later...

Is there a preferred site people use to get lipos thats cheap or are they all pretty much the same? And are cheap ones with the same values as good as more expensive branded ones?

15 hours ago, DogBone said:

Is there a preferred site people use to get lipos thats cheap or are they all pretty much the same? And are cheap ones with the same values as good as more expensive branded ones?

I got some ZEEE lipos from Amazon. Seem pretty decent and always handy with next day delivery.. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Like 1

Nice, thanks. I'll look them up.ย 

Also about chargers. How good a one do I need?ย  I was looking at etronix powerpal 3.0 ac/dc performance charger/discharge for ยฃ43. Any good or are there better ones for the money or do I need a REALLY good one?ย 

Hi All,

ย 

Completely new into RC and LiPo batteries. Can I just confirm Iโ€™m reading this correctly?ย 

ย 

image.thumb.jpeg.fd69a64215ab3a1fe6a1707573803b91.jpegย I have 2 xย 7.4V 30C/60C 4000mAh batteries.

I set charger to LiPo and only set to 3V as the 5V would be too much for these batteries correct?ย 

Is it then just a case of plug everything in (so connect battery to charger via the cables sticking out of charger and then the little white one into the 2S 1S port? Whatโ€™s the temp sensor bit for (what do I put in this?) do you place the batteries into the safe bag whilst charging? I donโ€™t think this charger has anything else (itโ€™s a basic one) so how would I store these? Is it charge them up and then run a few minutes on them for storage if required?

ย 

also do I charge first before using or run straight away? Iโ€™m guessing this is just a balance charger only (itโ€™s the Etroniz Powepal Peak Plus, part no ET0209E.

ย 

edit: second reading I donโ€™t use the black and red cables unless itโ€™s for Ni** batteries? Just use he 2S 1S port? Or are these the balance terminals for LiPo? Instructions say: confirm LED off

set battery type to lipo

set current parameters (3v Fo my batteries?)

connect balance terminal (red and black? Or is this the white one?)

connect battery (opposite of last step?)

ย 

thanks in advance

Edited by Seminole81

10 hours ago, DogBone said:

Nice, thanks. I'll look them up.ย 

Also about chargers. How good a one do I need?ย  I was looking at etronix powerpal 3.0 ac/dc performance charger/discharge for ยฃ43. Any good or are there better ones for the money or do I need a REALLY good one?ย 

There are more options than you can shake a stick at, depends how much you want to spend & how fast you want to charge your batts essentially- some light reading for the lipo / charger beginner:ย http://www.robotwars.00server.com/tutorials.html

• Thanks 1

Just looking at this charger more and the whole storage thing. It appears my charger doesnโ€™t have that function nor does it have a 50% charged light. Itโ€™s either charging or not charging. So working it out, 4000mA battery x 3A charge = 1.3hrs for full charge, but thatโ€™s from dead (which should never happen) and doesnโ€™t take any other factors into account. So for a โ€œstorage chargeโ€ should I just half the charge time for about 50-70% battery life?

6 hours ago, Seminole81 said:

Just looking at this charger more and the whole storage thing. It appears my charger doesnโ€™t have that function nor does it have a 50% charged light. Itโ€™s either charging or not charging. So working it out, 4000mA battery x 3A charge = 1.3hrs for full charge, but thatโ€™s from dead (which should never happen) and doesnโ€™t take any other factors into account. So for a โ€œstorage chargeโ€ should I just half the charge time for about 50-70% battery life?

In theory yes, in reality you really want aย voltage checkerย for lipos so that you can actually see the individual cell voltages ( ~3.8v per cell for storage charge ). Better yet, buy a better charger- ยฃ30-35 gets you everything you need these days.

13 minutes ago, suicideneil said:

In theory yes, in reality you really want aย voltage checkerย for lipos so that you can actually see the individual cell voltages ( ~3.8v per cell for storage charge ). Better yet, buy a better charger- ยฃ30-35 gets you everything you need these days.

ย 

OK thanks.

ย 

Yeah, I'm a complete newbie to RC and this. It was a case of trying to get best bang for buck so to speak and I had a pretty strict budget so that's why I went with the charger I got. Will see about getting another one though if my son takes to it like I'm hoping he will.

Most chargers are only capable of 1A max discharge, even if you set it higher. I always storage charge as soon as I'm home from bashing, but realistically charging them up and leaving them overnight isn't going to hurt.

• Like 1

So, looking into the batteries and charger I've got a bit more. Still haven't tested it. Big man's birthday is Saturday so plan on opening it up and throwing them on charge then and doing a few mods before taking the Quantum Flux out for a first run.

ย 

It appears the charger I bought doesn't have a battery status indicator. It's either charged or charging. So how do I do a storage charge on this? Is it a simple case of doing the maths?

ย 

4000mAh battery x 3000mA charge = 1.3hr for full charge (1hr 20 minutes). This doesn't take any other factors into account, nor does it take into account that the battery actually won't die. So if we say 20% left on when cut-off, that would mean full charge of about 1hr 4minutes? So with that in mind, if I just charged for 32 minutes after use that would give me the storage charge of about 50%?

ย 

Thanks in advance, and yes I will invest in a better charger soonย ๐Ÿ˜„

3 hours ago, Seminole81 said:

So, looking into the batteries and charger I've got a bit more. Still haven't tested it. Big man's birthday is Saturday so plan on opening it up and throwing them on charge then and doing a few mods before taking the Quantum Flux out for a first run.

ย 

It appears the charger I bought doesn't have a battery status indicator. It's either charged or charging. So how do I do a storage charge on this? Is it a simple case of doing the maths?

ย 

4000mAh battery x 3000mA charge = 1.3hr for full charge (1hr 20 minutes). This doesn't take any other factors into account, nor does it take into account that the battery actually won't die. So if we say 20% left on when cut-off, that would mean full charge of about 1hr 4minutes? So with that in mind, if I just charged for 32 minutes after use that would give me the storage charge of about 50%?

ย 

Thanks in advance, and yes I will invest in a better charger soonย ๐Ÿ˜„

You're asking exactly the same question you did before pretty much, so the answer is exactly the same too- nothing different about the advice that I/we can offer.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, suicideneil said:

You're asking exactly the same question you did before pretty much, so the answer is exactly the same too- nothing different about the advice that I/we can offer.

ย 

...wow..yeah, so I did ๐Ÿ˜…ย sorry about that! Feel really daft now. ๐Ÿ˜žย my headย is all over the place today.

Edited by Seminole81