• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Is this worth buying

I want to get into the Rc space with a quad. I am a tinker by nature so I want to build my own. After looking on Ebay i saw a kit. I didn't know if It was worth buying so i thought i would ask.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-Axis-250-Carbon-Fiber-FPV-Quadcopter-Kit-Combo-CC3D-Motor-12A-ESC-RC001-/131535340206?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1ea01e02ae

Sorry if i did anything wrong

Beach :hahadance:

Welcome to the Forum, what have you done wrong lol ??

As for the kit, for the money it would be great, it's only quite a small quad though.

Don't know much about the controller board but here is some into on it - http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking/store/__65885__Openpilot_CC3D_Flight_Controller_With_Cable_Set_Fully_Authorized.html

The ESC's have SimonK firmware so should be decent, for FPV will be a sound little quad.

Things to bear in mind.

1.Its small and could be quite nippy,if you have not flown anything before it could be an eye opener!

2.Spares,can you get them and how much and how long might you have to wait to get them (I am referring to the frame)

3.CC3D controller might not be an official one so could require flashing,again not difficult but something to bear in mind.

4.CC3D needs a USB lead to connect it to PC for programming,again nothing special but I dont see one mentioned and you will need to get one,no big deal but something else to bear in mind.

5.Proper carbon fibre is electrically conductive so make sure no part of the power board or protruding blob of solder touches the frame.

Maybe you knew all that already :)

Edited by smeghead28
  • Like 1

Welcome to the Forum, what have you done wrong lol ??

As for the kit, for the money it would be great, it's only quite a small quad though.

Don't know much about the controller board but here is some into on it - http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking/store/__65885__Openpilot_CC3D_Flight_Controller_With_Cable_Set_Fully_Authorized.html

The ESC's have SimonK firmware so should be decent, for FPV will be a sound little quad.

Things to bear in mind.

1.Its small and could be quite nippy,if you have not flown anything before it could be an eye opener!

2.Spares,can you get them and how much and how long might you have to wait to get them (I am referring to the frame)

3.CC3D controller might not be an official one so could require flashing,again not difficult but something to bear in mind.

4.CC3D needs a USB lead to connect it to PC for programming,again nothing special but I dont see one mentioned and you will need to get one,no big deal but something else to bear in mind.

5.Proper carbon fibre is electrically conductive so make sure no part of the power board or protruding blob of solder touches the frame.

Maybe you knew all that already :)

Thanks guys. About to order now.

• 2 weeks later...

You could buy the bits cheaper from Banggood, and the have a UK based distribution for the more popular items (avoids potential import duty, delayed delivery etc).

Be aware, there are loads of 250 sized quad frames that are sold as CF, but in reality are merely GF with a CF 'print' can't really tell, but zooming in on the sellers photos I've my doubts that the frame truely is CF.

On a small 250 size quad, the difference between CF and GF is minimal (CF is slightly lighter and more durable, but IMHO people get CF for the bling factor more than the physical properties).

If this is your first foray into quads, don't forget...you will need a RF receiver and conventional Tx with gimbal controls, which together will cost more than the quad kit!

Oh and a 3S lipo (or 2), balance charger etc.

Lastly, stock up on props!!?.... You WILL break them, most probably on the first flight attempt..and there is nothing worse than having a quad sitting there that you can't use because of a bust prop.

You could buy the bits cheaper from Banggood, and the have a UK based distribution for the more popular items (avoids potential import duty, delayed delivery etc).

Be aware, there are loads of 250 sized quad frames that are sold as CF, but in reality are merely GF with a CF 'print' can't really tell, but zooming in on the sellers photos I've my doubts that the frame truely is CF.

On a small 250 size quad, the difference between CF and GF is minimal (CF is slightly lighter and more durable, but IMHO people get CF for the bling factor more than the physical properties).

If this is your first foray into quads, don't forget...you will need a RF receiver and conventional Tx with gimbal controls, which together will cost more than the quad kit!

Oh and a 3S lipo (or 2), balance charger etc.

Lastly, stock up on props!!?.... You WILL break them, most probably on the first flight attempt..and there is nothing worse than having a quad sitting there that you can't use because of a bust prop.

Sorry for being a noob but what parts do i need.

On mobile atm, later today when I get to a desk I'll pull together a shopping list and some web links.

One question, what RC Tx controller gear do you have? You can't use a ground (car/boat) Tx controller for flying a quad. It has to be a RC controller with gimbals as you need to fly the quad in a 3D environment, not 2D as with a boat/cars.