• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Zombi's Axial SCX-10

Zombi

looking at your setup again it looks like you have the rear steering setup instead of going in front of the front axle it go`s behing it so you only have the axle upfront and the servo and other stuff go`s the the rear of the axle it was supposed tobe for the ax10 comp crawler it does have a name but i cant think of it right now 

edit.

its bta steering setup check no 13 of this thread 

http://www.rcsparks.com/forum/threads/ax-10-base-ground-up-build.16783/

Edited by mini-z-awd

Anyways back to business with a note for anyone wanting to install the AX10 MIP set. If you use the spur cover you'll find the rear shaft rubs against it quite significantly. Easily sorted though, out come the Dremel with a sanding drum.

P1040346_zpsszz3rjvg.jpg

Are you using these knuckles?

http://www.axialracing.com/products/ax30526

And are you using the same length links that I got with my Dingo kit?  My long link simply wasn't long enough to connect to the knuckles and have the wheels straight.  I'm guessing you got custom links?

yes those knuckles and the stock link on mine it just a green colour but its for the scx10 and i have a little confession i used a nut and spacer to lengthen my link i completely forgot i done that lol the nut on the short link was on there from ages ago 

WP_20150628_014_zpssl1cpo6h.jpg

WP_20150628_015_zpskaj7mpog.jpg

WP_20150628_016_zps5fivmwb6.jpg

Haha! Hey I'm a busy guy dontchaknow. Nearly there now though, just figuring out electronics. 

What have you guys done for you ESC/BEC/RX/Light controller etc? I see folks sometimes use a project box to store things in, I might use one of those to put a few bits in at the rear of the car.

Thoughts and pics on this are most welcome.

P1040348_zps1laekmtq.jpg

Nice build so far Mark... looks like your finding your way around the SCX10 well  :thumbsup:

Re the steering setup... you can use the high clearance knuckles but as you've found the link you are using wont work as it catches on the axle housing. Ditch the link and make your own out of 4mm threaded bar from B&Q, you can cover it with 6mm aluminium tube (also from B&Q) and make bends in it to clear the axle. I've used that same rod and tubing on all my chassis links and its plenty strong enough for the SCX10 platform.

I thought you had the servo horn to knuckle link on wrong to start with, you usually see them bolted up above the steering link but looking at the length of your horn (oo er) i dont think you will be able to install it above. If it steers cleanly without catching then it should be fine.

Project boxes make a good home for your electronics, i used one from Maplins on mine when i ran the Silverado lexan shell... i stowed the ESC, winch controller, BEC and Rx in there and still had plenty of room. The only downside was finding something small enough to fit into the chassis / under the shell but big enough to fit everything into and still have breathing space so i didnt need to vent it to prevent heat. With silicon around the holes for the cables it was properly waterproof as well.

IMG_0062_zpscee7e1b9.jpg

That was before i put the axial bettery tray across the chassis... the battery plate here was homemade... as you can probably tell !

Paint wise... as you've found, dont use the TS paints on the lexan shell... it just wont last. As above, try looking at the other brands... i use Radshape for my paints, they do the other brands and have a decent range of colours. Not sure if they do the military shades or not though... worst case, try hunting down somewhere online that can mix colours for polycarbonates maybe

Nice build so far Mark... looks like your finding your way around the SCX10 well  :thumbsup:

Re the steering setup... you can use the high clearance knuckles but as you've found the link you are using wont work as it catches on the axle housing. Ditch the link and make your own out of 4mm threaded bar from B&Q, you can cover it with 6mm aluminium tube (also from B&Q) and make bends in it to clear the axle. I've used that same rod and tubing on all my chassis links and its plenty strong enough for the SCX10 platform.

I thought you had the servo horn to knuckle link on wrong to start with, you usually see them bolted up above the steering link but looking at the length of your horn (oo er) i dont think you will be able to install it above. If it steers cleanly without catching then it should be fine.

my link does`nt catch anywere on the axle housing and i`ve used the same servo as you the 0231 savox aswell as the 0230 savox with no probs 

I've scoured high and low for a suitable poly military paint but to no avail. I have read that if you put down a base coat of poly paint as primer on the outer surface, then put your required TS paint on top that it works ok - is that right or just BS? Will it still crack?

The more I see of project boxes the more i think that's the way forwards.  What are the dimensions of the box?

Also, how did you mount the battery tray at the angle onto the chassis?

I've scoured high and low for a suitable poly military paint but to no avail.

I bought my poly off eBay mixed to a specific colour. The trick is finding a firm who will put it into an aerosol for you or buy as small an amount as you can and use an airbrush.

Edited by h4rri75

Can you remember what they were called??

Rotherham Refinishing Supplies. Call and give them your requirements. I bought a litre of poly base and the match was superb (though the price was a little eye watering).

Jawal Paints on eBay (check item number 390602912880) will also mix a can for you, sub

Ok thanks mate, duly noted. I will probs end up just using the dark green i've already bought and see how it turns out.

About the battery tray mod - I did some asking around, and Matt on UKSC pointed me in the direction of his video. I never realised it'd be so easily!

As Matt says in the video, I just used my spare set of servo mounts and drilled them out to 3mm and drilled out the two holes in the chassis rails to 3mm also. Once that was done, I attached them to the rails.

P1040355_zpsyi64ebq3.jpg

P1040356_zpszwpn0urd.jpg

P1040358_zpsdulkhsxx.jpg

Next bit, and the trickiest, was to line up the tray with the mounts to where I wanted it and mark out the holes. I just used to making tape to fix it into place, turned it over and used my drill in the mount's holes to gently mark out where i needed to put the proper holes. It left a nice and clear pinpoint on both sides.

P1040354_zpsc8v7kpfo.jpg

They then got drilled out fully and I countersunk them, as suggested in the video.  I dont have the best gear for countersinking so they were a bit rough, but they'll do the job. Banners will shake his head with horror when he sees them, but I think they're great  :thumbsup:

P1040359_zpszz0fjbsu.jpg

P1040360_zps1gjp1pp3.jpg

Once that was done I popped the screws in and tried to fasten a nut onto them, but there was no room due to the shape of the underneath of the mount. So I used a hand file to make it a more square shape and it worked a treat, nut securely attached.  

P1040361_zpslqkdpic0.jpg

And because i used a nut there too, it all felt absolutely rock solid - job done :D

P1040364_zps3xmfyug5.jpg

P1040365_zpsloplymmo.jpg

Edited by Zombi
  • Like 1

Ok thanks mate, duly noted. I will probs end up just using the dark green i've already bought and see how it turns out.

About the battery tray mod - I did some asking around, and Matt on UKSC pointed me in the direction of his video. I never realised it'd be so easily!

As Matt says in the video, I just used my spare set of servo mounts and drilled them out to 3mm and drilled out the two holes in the chassis rails to 3mm also. Once that was done, I attached them to the rails.

Next bit, and the trickiest, was to line up the tray with the mounts to where I wanted it and mark out the holes. I just used to making tape to fix it into place, turned it over and used my drill in the mount's holes to gently mark out where i needed to put the proper holes. It left a nice and clear pinpoint on both sides.

They then got drilled out fully and I countersunk them, as suggested in the video.  I dont have the best gear for countersinking so they were a bit rough, but they'll do the job. Banners will shake his head with horror when he sees them, but I think they're great  :thumbsup:

Once that was done I popped the screws in and tried to fasten a nut onto them, but there was no room due to the shape of the underneath of the mount. So I used a hand file to make it a more square shape and it worked a treat, nut securely attached.  

And because i used a nut there too, it all felt absolutely rock solid - job done :D

P1040365_zpsloplymmo.jpg

looking good 

Edited by mini-z-awd
  • Like 1

Tip for counter sinking is to drill the last bit very slowly to avoid chatter (and so the funny shaped hole).  On a pillar drill you can cut the power as you reach depth and let the momentum finish the cut, or on a posh one use the clutch.  A hand drill might let you do similar if it doesn't have an brake.

However..... looks good as is :D

I also carried out that battery tray mod before getting the Jevne Racing Ultra plate which I'm selling now as moving to a different set-up very shortly, just gathering parts.

My OCD is kicking in with the Axial logo being upside down :xd:

I got all my electrics done today and it all worked perfect. BUT...

I got so much juddering on the car when it was moving that it was unusable. I think I've narrowed it down to the angle at which the axles are sitting, it's causing the drive shafts to be too steep and this is putting pressure on the pinion, which is then in turn binding with the ring gear.

Have any of you guys had similar at all?

I can't believe it's doing this straight out of the box. First I tried removing the MIPs as I thought it was those. Then the beef tubes, but nope. So I'm pretty sure it's the geometry at the axle, as when I remove the link on the truss above the axle so i can change the angle on-the-fly, I can move it such that the horrendous juddering goes away.

I wonder if when I was amending the axle to accommodate the beef tubes I took too much off and now the bearings don't sit flush, because it certainly gets really bad when the unis are in.  FAIL.

Just did a further test and its fine without the wheel and shaft in there, maybe suggesting the bearing is supporting the shaft's weight. Sod this it's too hot - bed time.