• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Richard Burns Subaru WRC99 refurb...

130rsphil

A couple of years ago I was looking for an Impreza WRC99 bodyshell for my TT01 and found one on ebay. I don't think there were any other bidders - it was a bit rough looking.

The seller was quite local so I drove round to pick it up. When I got it home I realised this wasn't a Tamiya 'shell, I think it was made by HoBao. I could see that the holes in the shell were bigger than the Tamiya posts and the rear ones didn't line up with the rear posts on my chassis.

There were loads of cracks, scratches and bits with paint flaking off. I set about the shell with some car polish and managed to bring it up a bit better. Then I painted in the bits where paint had flaked off the inside. Where there were splits and cracks, I cut small bits of aluminium foil tape to patch it up. The headlight decals were worn away, so I just filled in with some black paint, at least the headlamp shapes are there and it doesn't look as bad as it did.

I wondered what I'd do about the holes in the shell - wanted it to be secure. The front shell holes aligned with the Tamiya ones and I was able to measure up the rear ones and make 3D CAD models of custom front and rear posts for it at home. I got them '3D printed' (an online company made them in Nylon using the SLS technique). All the individual parts were tied together with little sprues so it printed as one model.

Couldn't find the correct rims on the internet, but the ones I got are close enough for me. The HoBao shell is wider than the TT01 chassis so the wheels don't come out to the edge of the arches but I'm happy enough with it.

Fast forward to today and I finally pieced everything together. Here's a screenshot of the 3D cad model I got printed, the shell part completed with the SLS 'assembly', the chassis with it's custom posts fitted and finally the completed car :thumbsup:

3d-print_zpsia9eaveu.jpg

P1050692_zps7zjeistg.jpg

IMG_20150530_131939_zpsqqeyfttn.jpg

IMG_20150530_131957_zps9jtfs6n2.jpg

IMG_20150530_142038_zps0qngtiyz.jpg

IMG_20150530_142155_zpsk6ohmf5t.jpg

IMG_20150530_142248_zpsgegqomvv.jpg

Edited by 130rsphil
  • Like 2

Nice where did you get it printed and what was the cost?

I need a battery tray making I have some carbon fibre I can use but still looking around atm.