• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hyper7 21 pull starter issue

JohnE

Hello folks

The pull start on my Hyper7 21 is out of action. I used it today and its been fine but on the final start the line has become fully extented and will not return.

Is this an engine out job, presumably it is and so will the centre diff need to come out and is there anything special that I should look out for. I have no idea what I will find when the starter unit is out so can someone enlighten me please

Edited by JohnE

It's probably just the one way bearing.......Undo the 4 screws holding the pull start, pull off the bearing & re-new it......I could be wrong though, so I'll let someone else advise you

Well its off and to be honest nothing appears to have fallen out of starter casing but there is no spring tension on the part of the shaft that sits inside the casing. I can see a piece of spring like metal around the inside edge at the closed end but nothing else that would cause a re-coil action

Well its off and to be honest nothing appears to have fallen out of starter casing but there is no spring tension on the part of the shaft that sits inside the casing. I can see a piece of spring like metal around the inside edge at the closed end but nothing else that would cause a re-coil action

I used to move the flywheel from undrneath to try n coax the string back in...if not loosen the 4 bolts and see if it will recoil. ..if not then take it off and chk it...

something has move or is broken because there is no tension at all in any of the mechanism although now looking at the end which fits inside the casing I think that the spring that I can see located around the outside should be connected to the part that turns and it is not and so I think that it is broken.

By the way does a new assembly come with the shaft that goes inside the crankshaft

the question is can he fix it......they can b done...but r abit fiddly..lol!!

Yes...........I attempted that little feat once, but soon opted for your suggestion above.....I chucked it........lol

Do yourself a favour and buy a new one,unless you have the patience of a saint and loads of plasters  :whistling:

I think that the spring is broken and so I am just going to order one from Wheelspin, they have them in stock.

Does it come with the shaft that slides into the crankshaft?

Edited by JohnE

I think that the spring is broken and so I am just going to order one from Wheelspin, they have them in stock.

Does it come with the shaft that slides into the crankshaft?

The shaft is  part of the crankshaft, not the pull start, so you just get the pull start.............

Edited by chrisjw

lol..I did my boys savage one sat on a bench at stock wood bmx track ..Took me 45 mins but I did it....

45 minutes!!!!!!!................mine was in the bin 40 minutes before that...............lol

well I dont have that much patience and so its a new one on the way.

Now a couple of questions.

1) Does the shaft simply push out of the pull start housing? I notice that its got an hexagonal end which seems to locate in the housing itself

2) when all of this is re-assembled does it need lining up with the drive cog? there is lateral movement engine/chassis wise and so common sense says get it central. Does that sound correct

45 minutes!!!!!!!................mine was in the bin 40 minutes before that...............lol

well his bash was over if i didn't fix it..so being the super dad I am i set about it an done it...eventually. ..I've done a few now suscssfully Edited by evssv

the spring on mine is definitely broken and the shaft is now out of the starter housing so we are on our way once the new bits arrive. Thanks to all of you for pointing me in the right direction, its really appreciated. :thumbsup:

Bit late in the day I suppose...but...

Pull starts are (in general) fragile...never pull the full length and only pull short/sharp pulls minimally, directly in line with the cord outlet....if it is not starting in 5-10 pulls then something is wrong.

If the engine has a lot of compression and/or pinch then loosening the glow plug and warming the engine can help...(warming always helps because the fuel mixture is optimally set when the engine is warm)...

I like pull starts but they can be a bind. :)

thank you, it was probably me being a bit to rough with it but how the hell the spring works I have no idea. Anyway mine is broken and a new unit is on the way so back in business by Thursday I reckon.

One thing which I would add is that this is a fantastic forum, lots on knowledge and very quick answers. Excellent :thumbsup: