• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Walkthrough fitting a Failsafe to a Rascal?

matt_green84

Hi,

Just had a Rascal as my first nitro RC for xmas, and not wanting to sound like a complete noob, i need some help with it.

I got a failsafe for it, the little mtronics one, and i've had a look at the car and it looks to me like its strip it all the way down to get the upper deck off, then you've got access to the reciever box? Or is there an easier way? I get how to fit the thing, its just where to fit it i'm getting stuck with!

Thanks in advance for the help.

Hi,

Just had a Rascal as my first nitro RC for xmas, and not wanting to sound like a complete noob, i need some help with it.

I got a failsafe for it, the little mtronics one, and i've had a look at the car and it looks to me like its strip it all the way down to get the upper deck off, then you've got access to the reciever box? Or is there an easier way? I get how to fit the thing, its just where to fit it i'm getting stuck with!

Thanks in advance for the help.

I haven't got one one mine!

It has quite a decent throttle return spring that pulls the throttle servo to a neutral point in the event of the radio signal being lost,it does work as I have tried it under "controlled" conditions and it was fine.

If you do want to fit a fail safe it does involve quite a bit of dismantling.

You simply need to disconnect the throttle servo from where it is plugged into the receiver and plug the one end of the failsafe in instead,the servo then plugs into the other end of the failsafe.

It is simple to fit other than taking the car apart to do it :D

Hi yes i am afraid you will have to take the upper deck off.You wont have to remove the servos from the deck tho but you may have to take off the servo horns.There is 2 screws at the front and 2 at the bacg.Remove them and the top deck should lift off.There is 2 screws fixing the reciever box to the top deck.Undo them and you should be able to remove it.Then connect the failsafe.I am not sure if the one you have will fit in the reciever box.My one is to big but its not a very small one so i have velcroed it onto the top deck.I hope this helps and made sence.Its quite easy but hard to explain.I am sure if what i say isnt very clear someone else should be able to make it sound clearer.

Yes the top deck has to come off, but while its out, you'll see two little 'pips' to locate it in the top deck.... trim these off and then whenever you need to get it out, just undo the screws and slide it out.

Well, i got everything out, but then i got confused. The failsafe wiring dosen't seem to attach anywhere? Should it be plugged into ch1 or ch2? I figured ch1 was to the throttle servo, but then there was a little tab on the connector so it wouldn't fit properly? Wanna get it fitted so i can waterproof the reciever as winter is not being kind. Any ideas/pics/dodgy paint diagrams?

Well, i got everything out, but then i got confused. The failsafe wiring dosen't seem to attach anywhere? Should it be plugged into ch1 or ch2? I figured ch1 was to the throttle servo, but then there was a little tab on the connector so it wouldn't fit properly? Wanna get it fitted so i can waterproof the reciever as winter is not being kind. Any ideas/pics/dodgy paint diagrams?

I think whats wrong is that you have a failsafe with a futaba connection on it, with the little tab thingy, and the reciever does not. I just trimmed the little tab bit off so it fitted into my receiver.