• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Advice Needed from Those in the know.

Dark Cognitive

Hi Guys,

A friend pointed me to this forum as i need a little bit of help with a couple of things if possible.

I used to play about with RC stuff about 10 years ago, but since then most of my stuff has just sat in the shed & loft and was left to get bashed about as the kids were in there and inevitably some stuff broke. I've got an old ECO 8 Electric Heli which is in a hell of a state and will never fly again, a nitro car, an electric glider and a Cessna Nitro plane which has been in the loft and never flown once, again, needs a couple of repairs as it's been bashed about a bit but it's mostly superficial.

Anyways, I quite like the idea of getting back into RC again and now the kids are old enough they can play along too with my old stuff if i can get some of it working again! (while i get the credit card out and buy something shiny and new). I currently have a mix of old equipment that just need a few things to get them going again, but i was never an expert at this so if anyone could help me possibly source parts that'd be great.

First thing is the car. It's a Nitro car, Kyosho Alpha with a GT-15  engine i think?. I need a long thin bolt and nut to hold on the "exhaust part" to the engine. Theres a name for the part im talking about im sure!.

It's currently held there with a twisted wire , just so i could test if the engine still runs (which it does).  However i need a tighter seal, anyone know where i can get the bolts from or what size they are, or any suggestions on entire replacement exhaust parts i could just replace it with?.

You can see the wire through the hole in which i need a long bolt:

car1.jpg

and...

car2.jpg

The whole car just for identification sakes incase i've gotten the model wrong: (needs cleaned, needs everything properly sorted out and a new shell but i'll get to that later):

car3.jpg

Any help on bolts needed or suggestions would be great :).

Next, my model glider. Again, bought ages ago, flown quite a lot, never crashed the thing once, stuck it in the loft and the kids stood on the thing.

It's a Soaring Eagle, i dont know much more about it than that. I have all the functioning electrics for it. All i need is a new wing and either a fix for the tailplane or a new tailplane altogether.

I managed to find replacement wings and tailplane for the exact model from some shop in America, which would have only cost me about

It's a Kyosho pureten alpha 3 I think cos it's got the upgrades and blue alloy parts. The exhaust is the upgrade too I had the same car in 2006 with subaru 2005 wrc.

The manifold screws was always coming loose I do think ther m3 size fine thread tho. Take the other screw out and measure it's threads and post it.

Mayb get some spring washers and blue loctite thread lock too.

Thanks for the info guys, RCbutcher i think you're right the pureten alpha 3 rings a bell, i remember it having that on the box. That'll help with sourcing parts, cheers :thumbsup:

I took out the remaining bolt, took a bit of straightening up as it was bent. I've no idea how to measure threads, or what M3 means etc!!  but here it is next to a ruler:

bolt.jpg

If anyone knows the exact type i need and could provide a link to somewhere to buy a couple with nuts to go on the end? I searched for M3 but seemed like there were a lot of different diameters etc so im not sure exactly what to get.

The bolt is 25mm long, but no way is it 6mm

More like 3mm

Its the width of the threaded bit that you need to measure..or the width of the holes its going in

Bolt-size-help-copy.jpg

Hopefully a picture will paint a thousand words and all that jazz

The wings, don't know much about flying stuff ...yet

BUT

...If you can find a wing of similar shape/size and can mount it at a similar angle of attack I can't see why it shouldn't work again

Regards

Rob

• Like 1

The bolt is 25mm long, but no way is it 6mm

More like 3mm

Its the width of the threaded bit that you need to measure..or the width of the holes its going in

Bolt-size-help-copy.jpg

Hopefully a picture will paint a thousand words and all that jazz

The wings, don't know much about flying stuff ...yet

BUT

...If you can find a wing of similar shape/size and can mount it at a similar angle of attack I can't see why it shouldn't work again

Regards

Rob

I did think after looking at 6mm diameter bolts they looked too thick. This is what the manual says:

screws.jpg

Edit: Measured the width as in your pic ( B) and it's definately closer to 3mm width than 6. The actual diameter all the way round is about 6mm though.

Edit 2. I'm an idiot.  :fish:   The manual says 2.6 x 25mm NOT 6x25mm , i thought the 2 was the quantity or something, lmao. 2.6mm x 25mm it must be then :whistling:

Edited by Dark Cognitive

2.6 mm x 25 mm

two point six mm

Not a size I have run into before...

Not sure but it looks like you /could/ just put a 3mm drill bit all the way through on the side that is missing a bolt and use an M3 bolt with a nylock nut on the end?

Looks like it will work for that one side if you cannot find an M2.6 x 25 bolt..

Good luck with it

Regards

Rob

Bloomin eck!

That's a find and a half

Looks like its going to be an easy fix

Regards

Rob

I was surprised when i found the link as well as it does seem an odd size, Kyosho branded as well. Cost me close to 7 quid after shipping for 10 bolts when i only need 2 but oh well, at least they'll fit and i'll have spares!! :)

• Like 1