• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Inspecting brakes - any value in it?

Martyn_T

Morning all,

I've just ordered some new brake pads for my Maverick Blackout XB because I have noticed recently it has been taking longer and longer to come to a stop when attempting to brake.  (When it was new it could stop within about 4 metres from top speed on grass - you really could rely on them).  Now they don't seem to do anything but hold it at a standstill when it is stopped, if that makes sense (for example it would hold on a hill or something). 

As I am still new to all this - is there anything I can do to inspect the brakes to check if they are still serviceable?  Or do I just accept that as they are not effective, that they need replacement? 

Finally, if anyone has any online guides on how to do this then please point me in the right direction because they do look like I need to take half the car apart to replace the disks. 

Cheers for any thoughts.

Martyn.

Not 100% on the Blackout brake setup, but mostg setups have some form of friction material...and that will wear out.

Can also be good to strip and clean every now and again. Just don't use anything that leaves a resudue when you clean the discs

Cheers Nitro -  I'll take your advice on board when I start the strip down.

There are two ? ceramic disks which are placed in contact with three angled metal plates when brakes are applied through the servo. 

Edited by Martyn_T

You are going to have to take the gears and clutch bell of like this

DSC00287_zps3a69d792.jpg

then you should be able to get at the brakes. If you have ordered the parts I would just replace them.

Just another thought before you teat it to bits has the radio system you are running it on got End Point Adjustment if so see if you can expand the EPA that may help. If it`s the original radio systen then it will not have EPA. Hope that helps

• Like 1

Ian W and Nitro,

Thanks both for the help... the image is really helpful and saved me actually emailing HPI to ask if they had any info sheets on replacing the discs.   I have got a FlySky FS-GT3C Transmitter but I think I have gone as far as it will go with the end point.  I suspect rather than the disks being worn down they are fouled with grease or oil (there have been a few problems with the expansion chamber coming loose and all sorts of exhaust stuff being fired all over the vehicle. 

I did clean it up as best I could before refitting (with thread lock this time, LOL) but I wasn't able to easily reach the brake disks. 

That pic is really helpful though.  I am new to all this (only been doing this 12 months) so I don't know if this is something most people would already know... but it is a shame the forum doesn't have a repository of images like this that people can refer to.  I did do a google search on a strip-down of a XB but there was nothing - just a load of youtube vids of people driving them.  

Anyway - once again, thanks for the help and advice... it has set me off in the right direction. 

Martyn.

• Like 1