• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Velineon motor problem

Roadrage

Bought a Traxxas Rustler VXL from a forum member a little while ago and was extremly pleased with it too. It ran the first 2 batterys i put through it without a problem, on the 3rd it ran for 5 mins then shuddered and stopped  :(  the motor and wires was extremly hot so i let it cool down and tried to run it again it wouldnt move, wires to the motor was red hot so put it to one side and found a second hand one on flea bay which i am now waiting to come.

So last night i decided i would take it apart and see if it can be salvaged and then used at a later date in another of my RC,s down the line, problem is i dont know if it will be possible as it looks like the windings are burnt, i know i can buy another magnet which is shattered. If someone who is tech minded can let me know if it is recoverable please and how, it would be a help thanks.

DSC_0420_1.jpg

DSC_0419_1.jpg

DSC_0418_1.jpg

DSC_0421.jpg

DSC_0422.jpg

Edited by Roadrage

Traxxas have replaced this motor with a newer version, for which new rotors can be bought, iirc, they did do replacements for this older style..don't hold me to that though ;)

I'd bin it and buy something better :) Quicrun do some very nice four pole cans for reasonable money, in fact, probably cheaper than a new rotor if one exists.

Hth

Traxxas have replaced this motor with a newer version, for which new rotors can be bought, iirc, they did do replacements for this older style..don't hold me to that though ;)

I'd bin it and buy something better :) Quicrun do some very nice four pole cans for reasonable money, in fact, probably cheaper than a new rotor if one exists.

Hth

Since posting i went looking to see how much a new rotor is and for this can size its

Appreciate where you're coming from. Velineon set ups are pretty poor tbh, not that that will be of any consolation... ;)

I can recommend a quicrun 3800kv four pole, smooth power delivery and good vfm.

• Like 1

As above, they're unusual for having the parts available but for the parts cost there are better motors so its not really worthwhile :(

The castle 3800kv works nice in there, as does the HW 3656 4000kv. Both are 4 pole and much more modern design though keeping the front wheels down then becomes part of the fun :)

• Like 2

Thanks for the replys guys, I will keep an eye open for those .... have already been amazed at its speed on the couple of batterys i put through it one being a 2s 5000, the front end wouldnt stay down at full throttle but gave many smiles, even with the problem its taken over as my favorite rc already :thumbsup: