• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

What Nitro?

Karl Hungus

I really really want to buy a nitro RC and am aware of the pro's and con's vs electric (shakes fist at dyson).

I have been reading the threads here and elsewhere and viewing videos and had been leaning toward a Trophy Truggy but getting deeper into the 750 page thread has set me back to square one as I amass enough spares for "essential upgrades" that I might aswell look afresh at my options.

I only went for the truggy due to thoughts of available space for far reaching dreams of FPV video via long range transmitter to orbitting relay aircraft. In reality I am sure I could bolt kit on so a buggy would be fine.

Whilst that dream cooks I just want some noisy fun in my nearby woods and if past experience is anything to go by I will treat my kit quite harshly (my Tamiya monster truck was retro fitted with Estes model rockets for speed trials) and whilst that is a little extreme I would be dissapointed if I could not drive at ramps and survive as thats kind of what drove me from the hobby in my teens was the constant repair of missing wheels.

As such I hear good things about this:

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/hpi-d8s-rtr-buggy/rc-car-products/366592

Or am I confusing the quality of this car with the kit version?

Budget is around

Thanks for the reply!

Would you be willing to elaborate on why you recommend those?

Having watched some reviews it seems a lot of people are converting their revos to slayers??? Sadly lots of feedback on the engines dying quite quick too but obviously without much experience its hard to tell whats going to be costing me money only that something surely will lol

Having learnt a little more, I definitley feel I should stick with a truggy for surviving jumps and being able to handle offroad conditions.

Hey Gwigga

Just had a read through your thread and I'd really appreciate your thoughts on the car after running it for a bit (any weak spots, servos good etc).

I used to own a Turbo Inferno and back then it was THE car to own (also try sourcing parts without the internet lol). I like the ST Truggy from a technical pov but its just so goddamn ugly :( I also hate these stupid hotwheels transmitters that come with everything now so my thoughts are to buy the Kyosho and then if I get into the hobby again maybe look at an ST PRO kit build later.

Hey Gwigga

Just had a read through your thread and I'd really appreciate your thoughts on the car after running it for a bit (any weak spots, servos good etc).

I used to own a Turbo Inferno and back then it was THE car to own (also try sourcing parts without the internet lol). I like the ST Truggy from a technical pov but its just so goddamn ugly :( I also hate these stupid hotwheels transmitters that come with everything now so my thoughts are to buy the Kyosho and then if I get into the hobby again maybe look at an ST PRO kit build later.

I myself had been away from the hobby for 16 odd years and after much searching decided on the Kyosho, initial impressions are very good, ive only run it for about 1.5hrs total after doing the running in and initial stumbling block of troubles starting it.. whihc goes with any new nitro i hasten to add. I had rolled it a good couple of times and my 5 year old ran it into some goal posts and its still in one piece. Once I get back home and run it some more im going to update this thread. I live in Jersey Channel Islands but fortunatly I've found a contact on Guernesy who has very close links with kyosho so have a decent parts supply whihc is good as getting stuff to Jersey can be a pain in the bottom at times

For a entry level nitro its got to be a hpi, very forgiving engines in many states of tune, readily available parts and oodles of upgrades.

Warranty to be one of the best not that this means much in RC but still it's good to know.

Truggy//Buggy//Monster varients, Sorted!