• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Best 4WD for me?

sparkysx

So which is the best one out of these if they all were prcied the same?

HPI Trophy buggy flux

Hobao Hyper sse

Hong Nor X3 sabre e

Thunder Tiger EB4 G3

Kyosho Inferno VE

Hard question, and i have not had experience with all of them, but if you ask me it comes down to part support, if you break it and cant get parts its a real pain. Thats why i bought the HPI, loads of spares and hop ups. I may be biased but i love my Trophy, its not the most durable but with a couple of upgrades i have made it now never breaks! I changed the plastic hinge pin holders to aluminium ones. I also made a chassis brace to go along the top to stop the chassis bending on huge jumps. The electrics never missed a beat either, they still work fine!

The Hong Nor would be my other choice as parts are ok to find and you get a lot for your money! 

The EB4 is meant to be very tough, but also very tough to source parts should it break.

I also have a soft spot for Kyosho and will probably buy one myself one day, 

Just keep researching, reading threads, watching you tube vids of the cars and you will decide for yourself.

:thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Im looking for a new toy to try brushless,think im going for a trophy,buy cheap buy twice  :sly:

This is an interesting thread, and I would have to agree with the advice of 1/8th buggy. I started up in RC again about 3 years back with a Carnage brushless. The Carnage is a decent performing truggy, but with 1 major flaw - it breaks a lot!

I then got a 1/8th MT4 g3, and the difference in 1/8 and 1/10 is night and day. Not only in size, but its the power, speed, and beefiness of the components. The only 'Problem' with the MT4G3 is that you need to take it out to a decent sized open area to get it up to speed and realise its potential. Not the sort of car you can run outside your front door, unless you live near a park or countryside.

I cant comment on the other 1/10 cars mentioned.

If I could go back, I would have gone for an 1/8 brushless buggy. They are about the same width as the carnage, but slightly longer, better built and with the larger motor and capacity to runs 4s. I have probably spent about

• Like 1

Modelsport told me the Trophy is better, but they seemed to be basing it on the ease of getting parts rather than the actual buggy, I don't go mad with my r/c cars so breaking them isn't a massive issue with me. I have pranged the Mad Rat a bunch of times and broken parts, but I've never bought replacement parts, I've just bought sheets of aluminium and made my own replacement parts, since then I've smashed it into kerbs etc a lot harder and none of my replacements have broken, they loo better than the plastic rubbish aswell.

Think the Hong Nor is the way to go for me.

This is an interesting thread, and I would have to agree with the advice of 1/8th buggy. I started up in RC again about 3 years back with a Carnage brushless. The Carnage is a decent performing truggy, but with 1 major flaw - it breaks a lot!

I then got a 1/8th MT4 g3, and the difference in 1/8 and 1/10 is night and day. Not only in size, but its the power, speed, and beefiness of the components. The only 'Problem' with the MT4G3 is that you need to take it out to a decent sized open area to get it up to speed and realise its potential. Not the sort of car you can run outside your front door, unless you live near a park or countryside.

I cant comment on the other 1/10 cars mentioned.

If I could go back, I would have gone for an 1/8 brushless buggy. They are about the same width as the carnage, but slightly longer, better built and with the larger motor and capacity to runs 4s. I have probably spent about

I like the Hyper 7 but don't want to go into the expense of converting it to electric.

u will end up with a much better rc then a Trophy thats for sure imo....converting a hyper7 is no dearer then buying a stock rtr brushless and then sorting it to b as strong as a hyper7....

I wouldn't spend money making a stock rc any stronger, it wouldn't need to be stronger for what im going to use it for. I look after my cars and don't do crazy stuff with them.

I've done 4 things to my hyper7...fr/rear chassis braces...fr/rear cnc shock towers..everything else is stock..and it takes 6s abuse regular and I've never had the diffs out of it in over a year.... Edited by evssv

Think i am going to have to stick up for the trophy, i am biased but its a good car.....

First off the diffs providing they are shimmed correctly are great, the dog bones are tough i havnt bent one yet!

The electronics are up to the job aswel, mine still work flawlessly and you can gear it up without any temp issues.....(all my driving is done on 4s tho)

There are a couple of areas that need addressed, but i havnt found a single rc car that doesnt!

But if anything was to go wrong the part support is huge. and you can fit parts from the old Hot bodies Lightning 2

How do you get on with removable cage on the inside?

Not a major problem, but can be a bit fiddly. I use either a 4s pack, which is easy, or 2x2s with a Y-plug adaptor. I have never tried the plug adaptor they provide.

The good thing about the cage is your truck can do cartwheels and you know the batteries will still be inside.

Had a inferno and I can guarantee you I wont buy another. That is also from germany, something to bear in mind should you get a problem. Also good luck finding parts easily when you do get a problem, I had to import all of mine.

Keep saving your money and buy right first time, you will only regret it otherwise.

All the ones mentioned are without faults but some better than others. The hyper is probably the safest bet, cheap and easy to find parts and a good platform. The trophy isn't bad but the stock esc is pants and if you go over 4s then you will bend the cvds and dog bones like i did, at

• Like 1