• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

My Tamiya Egress.

RJJ

Hello chaps :)

A good dose of tamiya nostalgia for me the egress.

Always wanted one in my younger years but alas to expensive and the local model shop never had a kit in stock to simply ogle at lol.

Well they re released it and I waited to let prices settle and the kit arrived from hong kong before Christmas. A little frustrating as I had to keep on waiting for parts that I would like on it but it's getting there.

At a rolling chassis now, lipo arrived yesterday so it has been bench tested and all works. 

Parts used on it are:

Carbide diff/thrust balls

Rubber Sealed Bearing kit

TGX Carbon prop shaft

Lunsford Racing titanium turnbuckles all round

Tamiya 5mm low friction rodends

Robinson Racing steel pinions

Tekin RS gen2/motor brushless combo

Xpert RC low profile Lee Martin servo.

TLR white/black grease, shock oil and tamiya ceramic grease for the gears in the gearbox.

Used a full hex hardware kit and black nyloc nuts including the flanged ones and washers. All aluminium parts are anodised black including motor plates, chassis posts, shocks, spacers and more.

When the box turned up, just love the tamiya box art now just as much as I did as kid.

IMG_1844_zps5dbf00aa.jpg

Edited by RJJ
  • Like 3

Starting to build it, always in the details on my rc's and just being different.

imagejpg3_zpsbda3c441.jpg

Carbon prop shaft fitted, have to dremel the ends to fit the gearbox outdrives.

imagejpg5_zps1159f6f5.jpg

Upper deck fitted, sway bar ends are black.

imagejpg7_zps36f80ee8.jpg

Front end driveshafts and knuckles, driveshafts built and used tamiya anti-wear grease as per instruction manual.

imagejpg8_zpse6ecae91.jpg

Shocks built up.

imagejpg11_zpsd6efa919.jpg

Rolling chassis, motor installed and robinson racing pinion.

imagejpg13_zps4f7646e5.jpg

Plumbed in the electrics last weekend.

2D6344DC-9D37-4015-958B-399CB6C43A46_zps

All fitted, used black wires from esc to motor/batt to carry on with the black theme. Put a bit of red heat shrink to mark out the +ve side on the deans.

Shortened my esc to rx wire and enclosed in black braid plus I made a extension lead for the servo as it has a very short lead.

IMG_1942_zps2e9b2e92.jpg

Esc side, aerial wire is run in black heat shrink. Yep my ocd levels are not good lol.

IMG_1932_zpsb5d89208.jpg

Posh servo, low profile one used.

IMG_1934_zps83725701.jpg

Closer pic shorter sensor lead used, not to shabby on the wiring & soldering :)

IMG_1933_zps9d3415dd.jpg

Edited by RJJ

Front end pic.

IMG_1937_zps44cef092.jpg

Rear end pic.

IMG_1936_zpsb6f11e40.jpg

Just waiting on my bodyshells and will then finish up this thread.

Not built a 1/10th electric buggy since my childhood and its where rc all started for me.

Hope you like it so far :)

Edited by RJJ

Damn, you're good Rav :)

Looks stunning. Attention to detail is bob on, well, red can aside...surprised it wasn't dismantled and the case sent to the anodisers ;)

Very, very kind words Noj, thank you fella :)

Yep I could have but if it went poof in smoke then tekin would have blamed me for dismantling it lol.

I always try and keep new electrics as they are just to be warranty friendly if any issues occur.

You know how I roll, will happily run with anybody so long as we are enjoying rc. Does not matter what you do to them, I just build em how i would like em matey.

Edited by RJJ

Thanks guys for the kind words, glad everybody is liking the egress.

Yep Nito that carbon prop shaft is lovely, seen somebody else fit ne and thought hell yeah definitely going into the build.

When they were released it was

Edited by RJJ

Yum yum fella, very nice, your builds are always super neat, tidy and gorgeous :) the egress is a stunning kit, for me it was the avante, obviously Pretty much the same chassis as sure you know, ill be purchasing the avante very soon to add to the collection, i cant wait to see it finished fella, hope you enjoy the whole nostalgia trip ;)

Edited by the watchman
  • Like 1

Yum yum fella, very nice, your builds are always super neat, tidy and gorgeous :) the egress is a stunning kit, for me it was the avante, obviously Pretty much the same chassis as sure you know, ill be purchasing the avante very soon to add to the collection, i cant wait to see it finished fella, hope you enjoy the whole nostalgia trip ;)

Thankyou watchman, kind words matey for my builds, definitely get the Avante its lush :)

The Avante a technically engineering masterpiece. I saved up for ages, did the chores, and luckily not a good seller so kits were discounted and after selling the clod I had one. Put a reedy pink dot in it and lucky for me still have my old tekin esc from that era. It's why I used tekin here again, some memories re lived.

Only just about managed to get monies together for one rc at a time back then, now it's a different story lol.

That old Avante is unfortunately lost as my dad must have thrown out one of my boxes years ago, my mum says. Original prices especially nib are eye watering.

I to am thinking of buying the re re Avante just to re live old times.

Edited by RJJ

• 9 months later...

Hi all, been a while since I posted something on this project :)

I have been waiting on some parts, and I decided to purchase a kit developed by a Tamiya fan David Beeby.

He re produced the parts that Jamie Booth had on his egress from Tamiya racing factory (TRF) and seeing that particular car in Radio Race car all them years ago, decision was an easy one.

17 kits will be made and individual numbered and I will add it to this egress to make it really special for me, hopefully will receive the kit in the next few weeks.

Oh......by the way both body shells are here and I do love this particular undertray :)

image.jpg1_zpsu5yzping.jpg

Edited by RJJ
  • Like 2