• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Axial Yeti owners thread

philbr

Sorry I meant the silicon lube, I do have some but of a different brand, sorry i missed the hi lo box part of your thread I think I got that mixed up with the diffs in my minds eye, anyway will now open up the box and grease with just enough and try not to get it everywhere thanks again for the advice.

Like the man says, but try for Hong Hong because you definately won't get hit for import tax. If you get from the US and are stung on taxes, your wallet will take a significant dent.

I changed my order to rcmart. Got a nice letter today asking for money for tax and admin charges :4_1_72[1]:

How much?, has I think Rc Mart as high postage

I am at work so have not seen the letter yet. Howerver with post the total cost was about on par with modelsportuk but the extra charges are going to push it well above that. I should have just waited oh well

Well after stripping and inspecting the main gearbox and hi lo box I found both to have some grease inside but in the case of the hi lo box the grease had pushed to the outside of the casing and wasn't in contact with the gears, this left them a little dry imho, so I've applied a modest (zombi) amount of marine grease to the gears reassembled and tested, I have to say there is a noticeable difference it seems smoother and the annoying squeak has gone!

• Like 1

The RTR grease job if a bit of a joke, mine was all but dry and was in desperate need of some marine goodness. Glad it's sorted your issue.

Cheers, was surprised by how little grease there was and how much space is in that hi lo box!

Had heard about the 2 speed option I like the idea will have to see how it lives up to it when its released! I did notice that the rear diff is taking a pounding so I may see if I can make up a diff cover, been looking at your old set up I know they are available off the shelf but I fancy doing something in stainless I have a friend that owes me a few favours!

You mean a skid plate, like my old blue one?

Yes, definitely an item I wholly recommend.  It won't take long for your diff to wear out if you're using it often, so for a few quid it's worth making sure it never happens.

When I looked a while ago, there didn't really appear to be anything that great in 2.2 on RCMart. You'll probably better off looking at Asian Teens at something like their GPM offering

http://www.asiatees.com/display?Axial-Yeti-Parts-Hop-Ups-Upgrades&brand=Axial&model=Yeti&id=101777&pid=1

Or, and i've not checked, but maybe the likes of Modelsport or Wheelspin might have some prolines in.

Hehe!  Always makes me laugh calling it that now :P

Oh and for all who are interested, Hobby King are having a UK warehouse sale, so if you need cheap batteries then now's the time. I bagged me 2 more 45/90C, 5000mah 3S for only 25 quid each!

If you wait for that box to pop up offering you the "one time only offer", it stacks with the sale. Much cheapness!!

Well to be fair they've served me well. They've even been fully submerged under water on at least two occasions. So whatever people might say about the nano-techs, from my perspective it's unfounded if negative.

Edited by Zombi

Cool.  Does it attach elsewhere else though, or is it just the one screw at the bottom? 

If it doesn't, you need to be careful as it'll twist itself or simply tear off when it clips something on the edge, and strip the thread it's currently attached to.  Get some more pics from other angles.

Cool. Does it attach elsewhere else though, or is it just the one screw at the bottom?

Drilled a hole on the front lip so the drive shaft goes through and the nose of the diff case supports the front of the plate, will do some better photos tonight and some dimentions!

Edited by shaunm