• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Which 2212 Motors

sltatts

Hi All

I'm new to all this and building my quad at the moment, can anyone give advice on which 2212 motors to get.

I was looking at Turnigy HD 2212 Brushless Motors, are these any good?

also are the 4in1 ESC's any good? 

Thanks

I've used the older DJI ESC's and the OPTO motors and they work great.I alo have the new DJI motors and ESC's...great too.And ordered some cheap and cheerful ones from Banggod....lets see what they are like?

J

the 2212 motors with around 800 - 980kv be fine. 

here is a point guys, cheap motors are not bad but they are cheap.

so the main things that go are the bearings and they wear out quick.

fly once a week, yeah those cheap motors may just be the ticket.

but if your going to fly that machine as much as possible your motors

are best to be of quality, look for named brands but slightly cheap

not breaking the bank like 40 quid a motor. 

Sunnyskys, gotta say i have used inrunner mambas, sports silvercans, micro inrunners

all brushless, but i have never faltered the sunnyskys, when those puppys fire up and you hear that free run whine

you know you have a nice bit of quality at a good price.

I run a 4 in 1 esc, its the hobbywing quattro x4, it was and is a pain in the  BEEP to get working

each esc needs to be programed in, but you can cheat and use a adaptor at added cost.

problem here is if one esc frys we are stuck with three, we CANNOT replace it, so we have to purchase another unit.

i would advise single esc units and a distribution board / adapter setup to feed the all power from a single battery.

Now im a sunnysky fan but there are a lot of knock offs going around and ive been stung twice (GRRRRrrrr) so i was willing to try something else .....

Ive bought a few things from myrcmart and have stuck with them since they waranteed a telemetry unit for me .

Recently they came out with a new motor of their own design http://www.myrcmart.com/rcx-h2214-950kv-for-dji-phantomf450f550-brushless-motor-cw-clockwise-preorder-p-8034.html

i jumped on them as a replacement for my sunnysky's .... well i was not dissapointed even if they come with 8mm dji prop adapters ( i contacted them and they are getting 6mm prop adapters done).

ive put a set through its paces and dissmantled one to see if they where effectivly balanced and they where... the windings are so tidy !!!!!!!!

obviousely i ordered some more ;) as they are so cheap at the moment !!!!!

Edited by baorevo

same as what i have right here :) 

go with some 9x4.7 slowfly props (2xCW - 2xCCW ( clockwise/counter clockwise )

you could fit some 10x4.7 to but your going to strain on those motors with weight and thrust capacitys.

those 9 inchers will give you that bouncy floaty fpv feel, less agressive snap back 

and the punch will come smooth, so no hard throttle hammering nice and easy fpv with bigger birds.

cameras are everywhere, it depends how you want those fitted. normally fpv runs two cameras

one for the pilot ( a cctv camera ) this has a data overlay giving all the current systems running,

there status and shows voltage / amps / direction+home/ GPS locks / signal strength / horizon altitude speed .

A second camera gives the video to be used in post production on pc or it is beamed to a ground station and recorded there.

and viewed live via an lcd screen monitor. 

I run a very cheap gopro like camera. its 1080p @30fps or 720p @60fps made by hitachi (branded under PQI aircam to )

it cost me like 99 quid way back then went onto sale for 60 quid. i would look around on ebay for one. its cheap and does video just 

as good plus it dont cost sub 150 quid. its my main video device on the alienx 500, nd coupled with a dji naza m lite gps version.

9x4.7 may be a little small for a 500 size frame , i have an alien 500 with sunnysky 2212 and 10x4.5 is ideal for the power to weight ratio and also it will give you the lift nececary in case you need to pul out of a hairy situation, the problem with the 9x4.7 ' i have graupners that size is once you put a cam and a couple of bits on an alien frame the weight is too much and as you ease of the throttle to come down you have to punch it to level out .

a 3s 2200 would not handle the draw on 10s 

i burnt out a 35-60c 3s nanotech 2200mah running 10s 

i upgraded to a 3s 5000mah zippy compact 20c i think to give my 9s and 10s more beef.

to get him in the air and not to much beef at the finger tips i thought 9s on a 3s 5000mah 

and a bare down frame , then as he becomes more tuned to that floaty frame large 10s and possible 11s

with a fully laden payload, video cam - cctv - vid tx +bec feeder +cloverleaf antenna 300g or so

that gives a rough 1.3-1.5kg machine