• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

my live steam models

jordanp

Us older guys mid 40's upwards and onwards would remember these live steam machines. 

live steam is NOT just mini models it also pushes into the large scale, 1/4th builds and likes

as a kiddie in the 60's and 70's you would have seen the small traction engines running a baby dynamo

these were fitted to the showmans traction engine and would power its lights.

you could also see the traction engine at work, rolling the road flat (steam roller my mate had)

and the traction engines, they used to run small scale fairground rides like the big wheel etc etc.

Static boiler engines, were used to power a dynamo for lads to tinker with or ........ 

use the small crafted steam tools, things like a flat hammer, a grinder, a sander and saw.

these small units were workable items and ran off the static engines flywheel via belts and pullys.

think steam power in the 1800's thats the era your traveling back to, the Industrial revolution. 

have a look at this site to see what the old steam boiler workshops looked like and the accessories that you could purchase

http://gozgep.org/accessories/

also pop this search term into google-bing and check out the images tab. to feast your eyes on what us old men used to have as expensive toys.

" mamod steam engine accessories " 

A decent layshaft, a couple good highspeed bearings and clamp holders, a half decent light grinding/buffing pad

and a small OD pully, you could fashion your own working tool.

hook a dynamo up to the main traction flywheel and disable the drive band to main wheels

connect dynao to a dc-dc regulated buck converter and you have a mini low amp low voltage power feed.

as long as your boiler is stoked and your water levels safe you have a power source abeit steam powered lol

Take your standard girls model house/dolls house. 

add a small building onto the side with a slot cut into the house wall. this housed your steam boiler.

a pully and belt traveled throught the outer wall into the main building. and onto sets of layshafts hanging from the ceilings

these layshafts would have pully belts running of to various machines. 

you have now made a semi scale working steam mill - tool maker etc etc.

think of your boiler as your battery and motor. its upto you to find uses for it ;)

Edited by Tamiyacowboy

I do love a bit of steam, Have a couple of Mamods and am really tempted by something a bit bigger. Used to spend hours playing with my mates little Ruston

259714_240811872596984_797821_o.jpg

Was surprisingly powerful for its size, It could pull a trailer weighing about 200kg with ease!

4 inch scale I believe. It was bought by a bloke who made it from commercially available plans with intention of it being a static model in his living room, but could still run on compressed air. However it still could be run properly on steam, after a fair amount of work!

Just so you know those won't actually do any work, more for just show. I doubt a Mamod would have enough torque to power a lathe with the intention of turning anything, too. 

This is a good website for them: http://www.forest-classics.co.uk/

Just so you know those won't actually do any work, more for just show. I doubt a Mamod would have enough torque to power a lathe with the intention of turning anything, too. 

This is a good website for them: http://www.forest-classics.co.uk/

i went to them for most of my parts actually top guys :thumbsup:

im being driven insane :wheelchair: :wheelchair: :omgblinky:  im still waiting on my pistons the last freakin part before i can run them

a small static number 1 boiler will power around 6 -12 tools .

torque will come via the flywheel rotation and its weight

pressure also has the effect, a higher pressure will deliver more steam at pressure.

that the difference between a static and a steamtrain, the boiler design is high pressure

not the low pressure used in tractions.

i love the steam stuff but its very complicated mechanical wise and takes plenty of care and oiling

pitch black powers out, but that little steam motor will run a 3v bulb enough for you to mimic read by candle light

Edited by Tamiyacowboy