• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Can anyone recommend a good reciever? baja large scale

flatout!

I've got a gt3b transmitter and i think it'squite good, bbut I'm loosing range at 100m, some tracks are farther away from the driver stand from what iv seen, i think it's to do with the receiver? I don't no what therreceiver is because it's got the king motors logo on there so not 100% what it is? Any good?/ no? Maybe you could advise somthing that will go with my gt3b transmitter that would be a lot better and cheaper lol! But iv been looking at the Dx4s spectrum set up for about

I think it's hkgt2r from rc modelz the receiver orange in colour, should it be loosing range at a 100m ? You pull the trigger and a second delay it's enough to won't to change it, but i did notice today the expo on my transmitter was set at 50% do you think that would make the response a bit slower at a distance?

I've got a gt3b transmitter and i think it'squite good, bbut I'm loosing range at 100m, some tracks are farther away from the driver stand from what iv seen, i think it's to do with the receiver? I don't no what therreceiver is because it's got the king motors logo on there so not 100% what it is? Any good?/ no? Maybe you could advise somthing that will go with my gt3b transmitter that would be a lot better and cheaper lol! But iv been looking at the Dx4s spectrum set up for about

Thanks mate ive got all the mods kid lol! First think i did was put a kill switch on wouldn't run this without one, there a wepon at speed can you imagine if this thing was out of control? Never seen it and don't won't to ether lol! I run the kill switch and a fail safe, lost a few rear wheel pins the other day pop in through the gaffer tape aswell as getting out the curb screw, and when it's at the other side of a field it can be switched off great idea! Have you had a grub screw snap inside the hub?

Thanks mate ive got all the mods kid lol! First think i did was put a kill switch on wouldn't run this without one, there a wepon at speed can you imagine if this thing was out of control? Never seen it and don't won't to ether lol! I run the kill switch and a fail safe, lost a few rear wheel pins the other day pop in through the gaffer tape aswell as getting out the curb screw, and when it's at the other side of a field it can be switched off great idea! Have you had a grub screw snap inside the hub?

lve never snapped a drive pin. You can use a old drive boot cut down an place over the hex this way if the grub screw comes loose you wont lose the pin. Also use the other small end of the boot and place behind the throttle arm on carb helps stop dust gettin in. Just a couple of mods using old drive boots, dont chuck em reuse em.lol ;)

I run my petrols on a Sanwa MT4 ( Airtronics for the cross-ponders :) ) ... very nice feel and response.

There is nothing basically 'wrong' with a GT3B ... I have one for my nitros as well. I don't own a DX4...but I have owned a few Spektrums as well. Some of the Spektrum radios did not play well with kill-switches, but I think that has been largely sorted. The channel would re-set before the motor had spooled down enough...so it would fire back up again. Not good if you have no control.

In short...I have never had range issues with my GT3B, and it sounds like you have a dodgy radio. They are cheaply made, and the QC is not brilliant. Receivers are the usual culprits.

If you can afford a better radio, you do get better responses, fewer range/interference issues ... and a nicer object to hold.

The clincher for me on the MT4 is the internal antenna....so no more snapped ones! It also feels nice, works faultlessly and that's all I wanted.

Nice one guys cracking job, the pins keep flying out and like i said they just bust through the tape, ive only got new boots im not cutting them up lol! If it needs new buy now no bodging here lol, if it's not right it'll be done by night! That's my moto, if I have it in my parts box, what could it be with the pins coming out, does the boot idea work? What's the 3pl mean?

Edited by flatout!

The 3pl is a futaba radio.

basically the boot just stops the pin from coming out if the grub screw works loose, mine dont come loose but if they did the pin would still be there.

If tape isn't staying...A bit of heatshrink shrunk on works too.

I don't have grubscrews holding my pins in place...I have short cap-head bolts. Also check your pins...if they are completely round...grind/file a small flat on where the grubscrew bears on the pin. That helps locate the pin.

I've yet to lose a pin...but I am running Darksoul extenders, which have a groove with an o-ring to keep the pin located.

radios:

Futaba 3PL:

http://www.futaba-rc.com/systems/futk1300.html

looks basic, and a bit like a RTR handset...but the quality and performance are definitely NOT the same. It's good kit. Expect to pay around

• Like 1

I've got the axel extenders on, where going off the subject here guys sorry, ive used red lock on them and all sorts the taps great but if i up the trottle a bit and do a few quick laps it chucks them out lol! Iv got about 20 pins i bought loads from RC'S good guys there, lost 2 in one day both sides lol! Now iv got a snapped crub screw stuck Depp inside the wheel hex dam! And there'sred lock oon it lol! Drill and time that i don't have today, do any of u know what the inners are like on the front? On a king motors? Foams/fitted ones

True true! Do's this futaba 3pl have the option to move the steering wheel to the other side? i no the dx4s/r does im not lefty but I hold the trigger in my right hand and reach over the top for the steering wheel, like a spaz! Lol! It seems to block the stumpy ariel from doing its job maybe I'm not sure of that one, but i bet it looks funny for someone who holds it the way you should, this is why I'm looking at the Dx4s spectrum and it looks nice to, not so keen on the look of the futaba 3pl, a bit ugly lol, sorry if ya own one, but the spectrum does look good in white? Like it a lot, but if there's problems with the thing not clearing the kill back to start that's no good standing around waiting to get it going again, it's just the throttle response that let's the set up im using the transmitter is ace i like it, what other receiver would work with my gt3b transmitter. Do you think turning the expo on the setting to 99% it was at 50% will make the difference? I haven't had the chance to try it?

Expo won't change range....it changes how the steering throttle responds...but that has nothing to do with range. Try changing the setting and see how it feels.

Futaba3PL and Sanwa MT4 are both one side wheel only.

The problem with the Spektrums and kill switches was NOT waiting for the thing to reset...it was the opposite. You hit the kill switch, and the motor will stop...but it's not instant. You are cutting the ignition. The Spekkys reset TOO FAST so the ignition reactivated before the motor had spun down...so it just fired back up again. Not funny if your servo has jammed on.

The killswitch makers had to modify designs to work with them..so check carefully whether your killswitch will work with whatever radio you buy. Otherwise...you end up with either a car that will not run with the radio you have...or a killswitch that simply will not kill the engine.

But...seriously...if you like the DX4S and it's what you want...buy it! Your the one that will be using it, so the important thing is you feel comfortable with it.

Just been checking the sanwa and it looks nice, but the thing is the steering control i could do with being able to move it to the other side that's why i was swaying to the spectrum dx4s/r but if anyone knows of any other that you can swap steering over to the other side I'd really appreciate it as holding it the way i do looks and feels weird lol! What about the expo on the gt3b dose it make a difference it being set on 50% ??? Iv raised it and havnt had the chance to try it

Sorry I'm not waiting long enough for the reply sorry.

Edited by flatout!

If you increase the expo, what you do is increase the rate of deflection the further you turn the wheel. So...for example...turning the wheel 5' from centre would move the steering less than moving it from 60' from centre to 65' from centre. You set it like that so fine control is there for monior corrections from straight ahead, but when you turn hard, the steering turns faster.

Your steering should always respond straight away...expo just changes how it responds.

My mate recently sold his dx4s because the range was $hit and replaced with the gt3b like I have, I can go that far away I can hardly see my baja.lol

But is the trottle response there, it's like this you turn into a quick corner on grass and the back end steps out a bit,( at a distance don't for get), you go for the throttle and then its already spun out that's no good to me I won't the throttle when I ask for it, but when it's a meter infront of me its fine quick and responsive again very anoying the steering seems to be fine but wouldn't it affect the steering?

spectrum because I can change the steering wheel to the left side

Edited by flatout!

That's why I love the Sanwa. Perfect response whatever the range.

Seriously, though, things like response and 'feel' are where the more expensive radios deliver. They use far more complex systems to communicate, and the results are so much better.

For general bashing I find the GT3B I have is fine. I know it's not perfect, and I know it's response is slower ... but it was cheap and the RXs are cheap. It has a place in my collection....but it's not got the same feel.

I reckon you need to find someone local with some decent radio gear and try it out.

You will hear quite a lot of Spektrum issues with range...but not all have problems. Seems to depend on area, local conditions, ley-lines, sunspot activity....or whatever!

I don't think there's anyone else with one for miles around here, i did see two guys flying round our local park with what i no to be losi 5ive and they sounded really good one had the buggy one to, i was walking my very ill dog at the time and he came real close, but now I run one I know that people just appear from nowhere lol! Sorry mate if your on here lol! I was worryed about my dog, but if i seen him again he will have one i think you get a dx4s with a losi im sure, but yes my HS maybe can sort somthing out, order one in and take a look

The 5ive doesn't have that problem as it uses a cvd joint in the hub ( the puns are contained by the hub.....

If you are interested, Google killer rc and radio range test... He does a YouTube vid comparing ranges of the Futaba,s .... The best one is well over 1000 ft.. At that range you can't even see the vehicle... Even if it's a fifth scale

And yA, with a 3 channel radio, it's nice to be able to turn off the motor remotely with a switch yet still maintain control of steering brake etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Paul Warren

I love it when you drive it up to you and flick the 3rd chanel fantastic its great isn't it! what do you run paul and what radio gear?

I run a 5ive..., (if you'd like to see more of it, check out rcsparks ( DJ medic ) 5th scale videos....I am fortunate to only live about 10 min away from his track and have run at a few of his events) This is mine....

d83179bd9d52a6dc1d3e05a4c8b66385.jpg

Complete custom vinyl wrap and orange wheels... Along with a bunch of upgrades...I Designed it to look like my first rc from years ago... The losi jr-xt

When I got it, I has a spectrum dx2s radio.... But now I run the futaba 4pks and its light years better than the speccy

Any pics of your setup?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Paul Warren