• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Tamiya Hilux Bruiser build thread

NITO

Thanks for the feedback and kind comments Al. The paint colour is perfect. I know what you mean about the decals, that's not a great pic in that light for them though. I was tempted to give the decal a very light dusting of the blue paint which is fairly translucent when applied lightly just to give some sparkle to the decals before they get cleared coated in. 

Opened up my other Bruiser kit today just to make sure I'm not going mad regarding the sizing. Those decals are definitely from a rogue bunch which is very rare for Tamiya.

Comparison below...

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

The whole sheet is badly scaled.

Have sent an email to Hobby company so we'll see what comes back.

Cheers

Nito

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Al,

Tamiya agreed to send me a replacement sheet in the end. They did say that they were stretch decals and to try it first, which I did, but in stretching them 5 odd mm, they also get elongated so it didn't really work out amd compromised the job, more when I get the new sheet.

pic showing how far out of tolerance they were,

large.image.jpg.1312d5a66d4cff3fda79a7ba

I gave it my best shot but in stretching you can see it's gone a bit banana shaped.

large.image.jpg.247b3b569c1611b46eab32ab

cheers

Nito

Edited by NITO

• 5 months later...

Well Tamiya sent me a replacement decal sheet, but I didn't get around to fitting them until today!

I decided to go Box art, there are plenty of sponsor decals left over but I've left them off for now. I also left of the "prepared by Gearich" sticker below the Hog because I think it looks cluttered with it.

large.image.jpeg.bfc6f123e0a99683236936a

Edited by NITO

12 minutes ago, NITO said:

Well Tamiya sent me a replacement decal sheet, but I didn't get around to fitting them until today!

I decided to go Box art, there are plenty of sponsor decals left over but I've left them off for now. I also left of the "prepared by Gearich" sticker below the Hog because I think it looks cluttered with it.

large.image.jpeg.bfc6f123e0a99683236936a

Less quite often is truly more! It's looking good fella.

• Like 1

Thanks Chewbacca,

It's been a long time in the making but I'm very pleased so far. Just some clear coats to shoot over the decals, refit the body fittings and tidy up the lighting and it'll be done.

Here it is with the first couple of clear coats...

image.jpeg

Edited by NITO
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...