• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Christmas fund, what to get

L90 BCM

Hi all so I now have the funds to get a drifter,

What is most common or recommendations that People may have, I have started a new topic as new models are coming out all the time.

I have had my eye on the mst ms-01 brushless rtr on eBay for

Edited by L90 BCM

I was in the same situation a few months ago....

Don't go for a clone, spend the xtra cash and support a real company making quality cars...

The MST's are a great chassis, loads of hot ups available from Soul RC and there the importer for the UK... If you can get one of ebay that's had the money spent on it the that's the best rout. Electronics wise a speed passion reventon r 10.5 is great value for money but if you have the cash the hobby wings set up is super nice! That's what I run....

My advise is decide where you plan on running it I.e: Tarmac, carpet, hard floor etc and do you plan on joining a club? If you are planning on going somewhere to compete such as soul rc or Radshape then speak to the guys there and see what people run :) go for a car they stock spares for... I run a Yokomo DIB as I race at Radshape and they keep all the spares on the shelf however if we go to Soul they mainly run MST's so you can get bits from them nice and easy.... Everywhere does mail order these days so Sakuras are fine but if you need it there and then your better of sticking with and supporting your local HS.

Last thing is how much are you going to use it? I bought a DiB RS (the cheap plastic one) and it was a great start but I realised how enjoyable it was and I needed something more precise so I upgraded to the full alloy version. If you plan on getting into it buy a top spec chassis, yes it will look over the top of your crashing every 5 mins but it will save you money in the long run. Also go for CS straight away ( just my opinion) you can learn exactly how the will react from day one as aposed to getting comfortable with 50/50 and having to re learn CS :)

In short of you wana mess about in the street a HPI sprint 2 or E10 are fine.

Club racing Yokomo DiB, MST, street jam or Sakura D3 :) MST's are great chassis! Especially for the money. And loads of hop ups. Yokomo's slide so smoothly and naturally however they take a while to set them up nice, back ends tend to be a bit to loose which is what I'm battling with atm. Street jams are great but there not cheap and Sakuras are great for the money but parts are mainly a China only option not a problem but inconvenient :)

Just my 2 pence worth mate. Merry Xmas and happy drifting!

Steve

• Like 1

I had been looking at a d3 as a mate is in the same situation as me but with a little less fund, but we want to get the same as for ordering parts and so on.

Well Steve, I couldn't of asked for a better reply/write up. I will probs be going radshaperc quite a bit as that has the scale wall and the drifting as I will never loose heart in my land rover scx-10 crawler.

But a friend of mine goes to soul and he has a mst VIP, what a toss up of which one to get lol.

The d3 looks to be the cheapest as a ally version is only

Well if you can make it over Tuesday me and my mate will be over. I have the Yokomo and he has the MST... Your more than welcome to try both? :) the scale wall there is great it really is a 1 stop shop and if your a member you get 10% off everything ;)

We both nearly went for the D3 but glad I went for the Yoke, Ryan went for the MST as he got a right bargain on eBay! His had all of the alloy as well :) best advise is to come along and see what people run... Some run the Yoke some run MST and Im sure there is the odd D3 down there to :) I think it depends on driving style as well... Best thing to do is come down, everyone is really friendly. We race every Thursday night and it's just a good laugh.

You won't go far wrong with an MST mate a lot of guys use them and this is coming from a Yokomo owner, I would have an MST I think there a great chassis it just I find the DiB is lighter on its feet.

Just avoid the D3 copy! Do some research you will find there not all there cracked up to be

Unsure as to whether or not I'll be around Tuesday due to plans for new year, might pop over Sunday tho lol. I'll see what I can do as that is a great offer :)

I also think I am leaning toward mst as I like the rubber band drive train set up as I would be able to remove the front one to have a go at rwd one day ( along way away )

But is the 10% worth it if I was to get a mst as apposed to yokomo as radshaperc like you said is stocked mainly for yokomo, all thought cheaper track time is also a benefit ;)

I'll keep my eye out for a mst I think

Edited by L90 BCM